Closeup of individual pics in ad

CooP
Clutch
What model do you have?: '71/72 Hybrid Westy
South Africa

Re: 1966 Split Bus ad

Post by CooP »

What a fantastic ad - I want one of these cars :lol:

And under R2000, what a bargain even in those days.
Size does matter
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

This ad helps me a heck of a lot Pine, really grateful man, there is not much to go on as far as our SA 10 seaters are concerned. The little details are fantastic e.g the painted logo hubcaps (note the hubcaps don't always match the colour of the bus - also top pic), the different coloured VW roundels, the bus on the top pic has a white badge (Fleetline style), the rest are coloured, and the bus with the 2 laaitjies standing at the cargo doors seems to have a chrome badge and safaris ? !! Am I right - I never knew that this was an option ........
Also really cool to see are some of the real differences between the standard and luxury models. Single tone v 2 tone, the standard model seems to have only 2 side pop-out windows that can open where the luxury model has 6 pop-outs that open.
Also loving the SA only reflectors 8)
It's a pity one can't see the jump seat in the 2nd photo - how cool are those interior panels 8)
Eish - what about the bikini babe's hair style :shock:
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

You're welcome, Jolas! Is the nose badge chromed on this bus?

It looks like the little boy in the one pic is taking a whizz... :lol:
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

I have that ad in English reproduced in one of my bus books.

Check the Stirling roof rack as well.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
jolas
Donor
Donor

Post by jolas »

fig wrote:I have that ad in English reproduced in one of my bus books.

Check the Stirling roof rack as well.
Also in black and white ?

I've been hunting through old SA books for random pics of 1964 to 1967 10 seater busses. It's amazing what cars you see in the background, unfortunately with these books the background is'nt all that clear. and nice clear pics of busses are few and far between.

Do you have any sales brochures, etc of these busses Fig ? I am looking for pics that show the upholstery and interior panel colour combinations ?
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

In B&W as well, yes. No, I don't have any local bus brochures. I've never even seen a local sales brochure for split or bay buses, except the Jurgens brochure that came with my Autovilla. The only 60s SA VW brochure I've ever seen is the Type3 brochure that you have.

I've been on the look-out for VWSA sales brochures for years. I've seen lots of overseas brochures, even here in SA, but never any local ones. Either South Africans weren't into collecting car brochures back then, or I've been looking in all the wrong places.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
jolas
Donor
Donor

Post by jolas »

fig wrote:In B&W as well, yes. No, I don't have any local bus brochures. I've never even seen a local sales brochure for split or bay buses, except the Jurgens brochure that came with my Autovilla. The only 60s SA VW brochure I've ever seen is the Type3 brochure that you have.

I've been on the look-out for VWSA sales brochures for years. I've seen lots of overseas brochures, even here in SA, but never any local ones. Either South Africans weren't into collecting car brochures back then, or I've been looking in all the wrong places.
Cool thanks Christian, I guess we must just carry on hunting for random pics in random books found at the hospice shops and book exchanges :wink: That brochure is yours, I meant to give it to you when you were here to fetch Skilpad - next time ...
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

Oh I forgot, I do have a 74 Kamper brochure. It's clearly supplementary to the full bus range brochure, so not much info. It does show us what VWSA offered to replace the Westfalias sold up to 1973. I've never seen a bus with this kit though.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/74kamper.php

/hijack :wink:
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Remember that VWSA sometimes made mistakes in their advertising brochures and owner's manuals. Maybe the brochures had to be ready for printing before the first vehicles corresponding to that production year came off the production line.

None of those kombis in the brochure were actually 66 models. Look at the early pointed bumpers. The 65 model my father had at the time, already had the more round edged bumpers. And this was definitely not a 66, as it still had the dim/bright switch on the floor and "vierkantschlussel" or "church key" to open engine compartment, but had the later heater outlets.

Changeover date to later bumpers is controversial. For 64 model various pictures show early slant ended type. Some German pictures claiming to be early 65 production year shows early slanted front bumper and late rounded rear bumper combination.

The single colour kombi in the ad looks like an early 64 model. (Pre push-button outer front door handles), and the two-tone one probably around late 64.

By the way, the 65 kombi we had was a basic single colour version, and all 6 the small side windows could open. My uncle had a 66 kombi, same colour single tone, and all it's 6 small windows could open as well. I was just as surprised to see a picture of a 64-67 version kombi with fixed side windows similar to some earlier local kombis.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

Thanks Dawie.

The bus with the roofrack in the second pic has the mixed slash/rounded bumpers, which likely dates it to 1965. This kind of thing wasn't unusual when VW changed the design of parts. It seems the new stuff was just dumped in the parts bins willy nilly and mixed with the older parts. You can see this especially with the "crow's foot" wheels of the mid-late 1950s. At the time VW clearly used more than one wheel supplier, and no attempt was made to match wheels on buses, so you'll seldom see a crow's foot era bus with all crow's foot wheels.

I believe six side pop-outs was standard spec for almost all SA split buses in the 60s.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

BUSBFK
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: 1965 Type 2, Kango

Post by BUSBFK »

Nice add. I got my bus from the original owner and he kept the original receipt for the bus, yes it is under R2000.