fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: Africa by '57 Splitty

Post by fig »

splitbusahollic wrote:
fig wrote: The first split bus I ever bought was an ex-Rhodesian, double door, 57 panelvan with similar windows cut in the doors. I cut it up for parts years ago.
You cut Up buses for spares Fig ?? ..."it's like "the Godfather hates pasta" or something along those lines ... :lol:
Hahaha. Yes, I did. The Godfather hates cold pasta with congealed sauce!

fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Every split bus I cut up for parts was better than half the crap on gumtree today for R100k. But back then, no one wanted them at any price.

This happened in the days before Facebook and this forum. I had to vacate the place where I kept my cars and move into a tiny space, so most of them had to go. I sold as many as I could, but there wasn't the same demand for split buses then that there is now. I even swapped a 57 kombi, in better condition than this week's scam 58 bus, for a lawnmower! (I still have the lawnmower.) As the deadline approached I had to start stripping the unsold buses. When the deadline was imminent I put the word out that anyone who wanted parts could come and collect for free, so long as they did the stripping themselves. I eventually sent 5 split bus shells to a scrap metal dealer for crushing. Many times since then I have needed body panels that were on those crushed buses.

Post the introduction of these forums and Facebook, a few years ago, as some on these forums will remember, I acquired several split buses that I couldn't keep. I could have cut them up for parts but instead offered them intact for free on these forums and all were spoken for in less then 2 hours. That's the power of the internet that we take for granted.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Merlin
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?:  Various

Post by Merlin »

fig wrote:Every split bus I cut up for parts was better than half the crap on gumtree today for R100k. But back then, no one wanted them at any price.

This happened in the days before Facebook and this forum. I had to vacate the place where I kept my cars and move into a tiny space, so most of them had to go. I sold as many as I could, but there wasn't the same demand for split buses then that there is now. I even swapped a 57 kombi, in better condition than this week's scam 58 bus, for a lawnmower! (I still have the lawnmower.) As the deadline approached I had to start stripping the unsold buses. When the deadline was imminent I put the word out that anyone who wanted parts could come and collect for free, so long as they did the stripping themselves. I eventually sent 5 split bus shells to a scrap metal dealer for crushing. Many times since then I have needed body panels that were on those crushed buses.

Post the introduction of these forums and Facebook, a few years ago, as some on these forums will remember, I acquired several split buses that I couldn't keep. I could have cut them up for parts but instead offered them intact for free on these forums and all were spoken for in less then 2 hours. That's the power of the internet that we take for granted.
Split buses are a fairly recent trend. In the same vein, I couldn't find a home for what was a very solid, rebuildable Fleetline Kombi just a few years ago. I had no storage options and it was cut. I've left several wrecks over the years, as the effort & cost involved, at the time, weren't feasible. Now people are falling over themselves for parts in far worse condition. My stuffed '56 Panel, now also resting in pieces, looked positively new when compared with my '54. All of these buses were projects undertaken well into the last decade.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, and oversteer, the rear.
Hp is how fast you hit the wall, and Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
sled wrote:well obviously the UK is wrong.
splitbusahollic
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a couple of buses
Facebook: vintage kombi
South Africa

Post by splitbusahollic »

fig wrote:anyone who wanted parts could come and collect for free, so long as they did the stripping themselves
Is This offer still valid ? i can leave PE right now for Vaalplasie !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
vintage kombi.co.za (Website)
vintage kombi on Facebook