Last Beetle (ever) built in Mexico on this day in 2003

Fables and Facts from ACVW History
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Last Beetle (ever) built in Mexico on this day in 2003

Post by Pine »

Feels like only yesterday.. :cry:

Yes, the youngest Beetles in the world are almost teenagers, whilst the youngest Beetles in SA are already on the wrong side of 30!

On this day in 2003, the last VW Beetle (ever!) rolled off a Mexican assembly line
On this day in 2003, Volkswagen of Mexico ended production of the air cooled Beetle.

In celebration of this, the final cars built were done as a tribute to the Beetles of the past. The "Ultima Edition" was the name and they were available in two colors...blue or beige. The wide whitewall tires, some special badging and a limited production makes this a very special model indeed.

Competition from newer compacts and a Mexican government decision to phase out two-door taxis led Volkswagen to shut down its only remaining "bug" production line at its plant in Puebla, 65 miles southeast of Mexico City.

Workers painstakingly crafted the final car: a baby blue version marked No. 21,529,464 that went to a museum in Wolfsburg, Germany, home of VW headquarters. Adorned with a Mexican flag made of flowers, the car was serenaded by a mariachi band playing "El Rey," or "The King."

"You didn't just participate in the construction of a car, but in the creation of a legend," Reinhard Jung, president of the executive committee of Volkswagen Mexico, told workers and executives.

The ceremony at the factory was closed to outsiders but transmitted around the world on a satellite television feed.

The 300 employees working on the bug assembly line were reassigned to other departments at the factory, which also produced Jettas and the modern version of the Beetle.

Volkswagen produced 3,000 "last edition" bugs sold at Mexican dealerships for $8,000 — a few hundred dollars more than the normal price. The design stayed faithful to the original model with a few minor changes, including whitewall tires and a CD player.

The end of production sparked a fierce, international battle among collectors who have been flying to Mexico and shipping the cars all over the world.

An Australian, Gary Collis, said he couldn't resist making the long journey for a car he calls "the heart and soul of Volkswagen."

Collis bought his new bug — the 21st of his collection — in Guadalajara and drove the car back to Los Angeles, where he had it shipped to Australia.

"Since they first announced the final edition ... I thought to myself: 'This is really the end,'" he said, adding that the venture is costing him $20,000.

In Germany, last edition bugs sold for $14,900 each, while car companies in Britain had them on sale for $16,000. Volkswagen of Brazil importe 50 last edition bugs and sold them for $13,000.

"This is the end of a very long story, and a lot of Beetle people here are going to be very sad," said Ivan McCutcheon, editor of VolksWorld, a monthly magazine for VW lovers in London.

VW stopped production of the bug in the United States in 1977 after the car's design and air-cooled engine no longer met U.S. safety and emission standards. That has made it virtually impossible for U.S. enthusiasts to get their hands on final models.

Jerry Jess, a collector from Phoenix, tried and failed to get permission to bring a new bug over the border.

"There is a lot of demand for those last bugs here in America, and I'm sure some of those cars are going to get here illegally anyway," Jess said.

The bug collected a variety of nicknames around the world — "el huevito" (the little egg) in Cuba, "coccinelle" (ladybird) in France. It's known by the madeup name "vocho" in Mexico City, where bugs still crowd the streets.

But a recent city regulation banned new two-door taxis, contributing to plummeting sales.

Guadalupe Loaeza bade farewell in a column Tuesday in the newspaper Reforma, fondly recounting the numerous vochos she's owned over the years.

"The vocho produced in Mexico was, without a doubt, a Mexican's best friend," she wrote.

vw59beetle
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Enjoyable one

Re: Last Beetle (ever) built in Mexico on this day in 2003

Post by vw59beetle »

[quote="Pine"]Feels like only yesterday.. :cry:

Yes, the youngest Beetles in the world are almost teenagers, whilst the youngest Beetles in SA are already on the wrong side of 30!

Not all true Pine. We are also privleged enough to have a teenager in South Africa. The 19th last Beetle built.

http://www.aircooledwonders.com/feature ... -the-last/
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

vw59beetle wrote:
Pine wrote:Feels like only yesterday.. :cry:

Not all true Pine. We are also privleged enough to have a teenager in South Africa. The 19th last Beetle built.

http://www.aircooledwonders.com/feature ... -the-last/
I suppose one can get anal about any statement here on ACVWSA. We all know and have seen Tyrone's car. Obviously I was referring to VWs from the Uitenhage maternity ward -
vw59beetle
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Enjoyable one

Post by vw59beetle »

Good morning Adriaan

I was not attacking you or your post. I really appreciate your enthusiasm and all your contributions on this forum. I was merely making the folks that don't know, aware of a very special car in SA.
Hope you have a good weekend.

Wernher