Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: No papers

Post by Tony Z »

2015 model... wouldnt that have to comply with 2015 regulations?
Rear seat belts and whatever else has changed in the last 40 years
Just wondering???

sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

Stop bothering the old lady. You don't need it. Just go make a affidavit at a police station and get it licenced by the usual procedure of introducing the vehicle onto E -Natis.

If you have scrapping certificates, or the vehicles is in the archives or there is no history of it at all, its all still the same procedure to get it licenced.

@Tony. The date of first registration has nothing to do with the date of manufacture. I have 3 kombis that are registered as "rebuilt 2015" but I even have a special licence on them because they are older than 45 years.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

sean wrote:Stop bothering the old lady. You don't need it. Just go make a affidavit at a police station and get it licenced by the usual procedure of introducing the vehicle onto E -Natis.

If you have scrapping certificates, or the vehicles is in the archives or there is no history of it at all, its all still the same procedure to get it licenced.

@Tony. The date of first registration has nothing to do with the date of manufacture. I have 3 kombis that are registered as "rebuilt 2015" but I even have a special licence on them because they are older than 45 years.
This is correct ito the Road Traffic Regulations. I don't know where the OP is, but try that in GP and see how far you get.

Sean, can you give us some tips on how to persuade the licensing authorities to do this, or is it normal practice in the W Cape? Imade the mistake of buying a motorcycle last year despite the seller having left the papers at home (I had seen a scan of them). He's turned out to be a complete flake and can't get his act together to post the papers to me, and the registered owner is deceased. Short of driving to Sabie to get them from him, I don't know what to do to register the bike in my name so I can use it.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
richard.d.andrade.1
Drip
What model do you have?: 1970 vw bus

Post by richard.d.andrade.1 »

Thanks everyone for the help
Sean do u maybe know what i need to take with me and must the kombi be driven there
oldschool75
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: Kombi Keg

Post by oldschool75 »

fig wrote:
sean wrote:Stop bothering the old lady. You don't need it. Just go make a affidavit at a police station and get it licenced by the usual procedure of introducing the vehicle onto E -Natis.

This is correct ito the Road Traffic Regulations. I don't know where the OP is, but try that in GP and see how far you get.

Sean, can you give us some tips on how to persuade the licensing authorities to do this, or is it normal practice in the W Cape? Imade the mistake of buying a motorcycle last year despite the seller having left the papers at home (I had seen a scan of them). He's turned out to be a complete flake and can't get his act together to post the papers to me, and the registered owner is deceased. Short of driving to Sabie to get them from him, I don't know what to do to register the bike in my name so I can use it.
@fig -if you don't come right, I can get them picked up in Sabie if they're there.... 40mins from Nelspruit.

Johann
There's a rally driver hiding in all of us......
Kombi Keg - 1976 Panel Van
Miemie - 1967 Type 3 Fastback
1982 unique Buggy
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

fig wrote:

I've never really has an issue in the Western Cape. All I do is do it by the book and don't ask questions, tell them what to do. They generally low life rubbish that work at these departments and if they see you need help or advice and you don't know what to do, they aint going to help. If you have to go the affidavit method, remember it involves all the police clearance, micro-dotting, proof of purchase paperwork long story method.

What they have all looked for on my affidavit in any of these situations, is that the registered owner is untraceable and the best effort has been made to get hold of them with no success. I understand the licence also has to have lapsed for 2 or more years for the registered owner to loose ownership of the vehicle and for you to be able to register it.
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 67 Panel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=536371512
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

Im looking into perhaps buying a baywindow, but the deciding factor is paperwork.

According to the current seller the bus was scrapped in 2012 by the previous owner.
I phoned the traffic department with VIN number, Reg number and license plate number ready. According to them the bus is still on the system and not in the name of the current owner, wont say in who's name the bus currently is but its also not scrapped. Everything else checks out, model , numbers etc.
So I phone the current owner who told me the bus was scrapped and had a chat with him, he keeps to his story that the bus is scrapped. 5 min later I get photos of the Certificate of deregistration in respect of motor vehicle, with all the kombi details as stamped on the kombi, Reg number and even the license plate number. Reason of deregistration - scrapped in 2012. He is not able to find his sale agreement between him and the previous owner, only the deregistration certificate.
I know the guy selling the kombi personally, its not some random gumtree seller. I do not want to buy it and not be able to get it in my name.

Any suggestions or next steps I should take ?
---------- 67 Panelvan -----------
---------- 56 Oval ----------
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

Hi Donovan

Perhaps you spoke to one of those traffic department employees that have an IQ of a spade and didn't check properly.

If everything agrees with the certificate of de-registration to the buses detail, you wont have a problem. You will need to go through the whole process of RPC, inspections, weigh bridges, micro-dotting and paperwork, but it can be done. You must ensure you have the original scrapping document before paying for the bus, don't accept promises of later delivery, trying to get a copy of it from a previous owner you don't even know will be a problem....
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

Thanks Sean !
Will phone again today and see what they say this time.
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

sean wrote: Perhaps you spoke to one of those traffic department employees that have an IQ of a spade and didn't check properly.
Correct, so the bus is deregistered but still in the previous owners name. The current seller/'owner' is now a middle man with NO proof that he actually bought the bus, the only thing he has is the deregistration certficate.
According to the traffic dept the seller/'owner' needs to get an affidavit from the police stating that he did buy the kombi from the previous owner before I will be able to get it on my name.
I dont want to build it up and then have issues getting it on my name after spending money on it.