100km/h Speed limit for taxis?

Come talk £%$ with us.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

100km/h Speed limit for taxis?

Post by Pine »

Is this for real?

AS FROM 1 DEC 2016, TAXIS & BUSSES WILL BE FORCED TO DRIVE A MAX-SPEED OF 100km/h

The AA has welcomed changes to road traffic legislation which will require public transport and goods vehicles registered from 1 December 2016 to be fitted with speed governors.

It said the amendments to SA’s Road Rules (first published in 2014, but implemented from the 1st of December 2016) will only allow minibus taxis to drive at a maximum speed of 100km/h.

“Governors will be required for any minibus, midibus, or bus, as well as goods vehicles with a mass exceeding 3,500kg,” said the AA.
“The vehicles are required to be governed to the speed limits applicable to each category. In the case of minibuses, midibuses, and buses, the governed speed will be 100km/h.”

Goods vehicles over 3,500kg, but below 9,000kg, will be governed to 100km/h.
Goods vehicles over 9,000kg will be governed to a maximum speed of 80km/h.

“Buses and minibus taxis are frequently observed driving well in excess of posted legal limits, often in situations where their speed considerably exceeds that of the general traffic speed.”

“The risk of such large speed differentials is well documented and the introduction of governors will combat this problem over the next several years as end-of-life buses and minibus taxis are phased out.”

fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: 100km/h Speed limit for taxis?

Post by fig »

I'm a bt confused at the news reporting on new speed limits.

Taxis and passenger buses have been limited to 100km/h for some years now. When I took my driver's licence test heavy goods vehicles were limited to 80km/h and I don't recall their speed limit ever being raised.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

The report actually announced that governors will be fitted to enforce these speed limits?
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Pine wrote:The report actually announced that governors will be fitted to enforce these speed limits?
Apparently only on new vehicles, not to be retro-fitted.

Anyone want to join me in establishing the first business to remove governors from taxis? I can't see any of those buggers keeping them and the cops are hardly likely to check ...

Apparently in Brazil all public transport vehicles must by law be fitted with a tachograph and the cops regularly pull buses and taxis over and inspect the tachograph readings for evidence of speeding and issue heavy fines.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

the article above also says it only applies to vehicles over 3500kg...
and, a loop hole is that it says nothing about the speed limiters being operational. If thats how the law is written, then you could fit the speed limiter to the spare wheel or roof if you want, whether it does anything or not is immaterial.
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

I cant remember which country it was in Asia that have a light on the roof that comes on after a certain speed so the cops can just look for the roof light thats on and pull you over for speeding. Clever people, but how it actually works I cant tell you but must be linked to the speedo or gps.
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Limiter could cause head-on collisions. If a truck overtakes a slow vehicle doing 70 km/h, but slow vehicle then accelerates before overtaking truck has passed all the way. Truck now hits limiter at 80. In the meantime, the gap behind was taken up by other vehicles. So truck cannot move back, nor go faster, and there is a vehicle coming from ahead...

In theory the slow vehicle is not allowed to accelerate while being overtaken, but in real life things happen different...
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Post by Jdt1976 »

That was my concern too. Most of the new trucks got cruise control and can be coverned. The agents can set them as you request. I set my local trucks at 85 -93km/h, depending on the driver and truck and what route they mostly do.

When setting the limit I keep in mind the overtaking. If all trucks are set the set at 80km/h they will mostly only be able to overtake on up hills. More impatient drivers will cause more accidents.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Thats the reason i removed the rev limiter in my original Fastback and will not fit any, I would rather have a over reved engine then a dead owner.

But when one thinks logically, about the taxi's, and equates to the fact that more Taxis will crash, the less taxi's are on the road, so per say, the roads will be safer. Job Done !

:roll:

:lol:

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
beetlepower
Twin Port
What model do you have?: Beetle, Squareback
South Africa

Post by beetlepower »

'NO TYRE SHALL BE LEFT UNSMOKED'

@reubenvn on twitter
https://www.instagram.com/elbowgreasemonkeyza/
Hloni
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: It was a '75.

Post by Hloni »

Show me the 1st taxi operator to keep the governor, and I will confirm JZ will resign during his X-Mas message to the nation!
"Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this" - Kerri Martin