Hazet tools

Come talk £%$ with us.
freddiebooysen
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 1972

Hazet tools

Post by freddiebooysen »

Does anyone have any history on Hazet tools in South Africa I have seen some round toolboxes that are quite popular on the forum and also some Hazet assistants that come up from time to time.
But does anyone know the history about the brand in South Africa and who actually imported them ?
I came across their website as well and see they still make new Hazet assistants but did not check if they still make the round Vw toolbox and what they sell for.
I came across a Hazet standard toolbox and have a few Spanners that I picked up with it but it is in bad shape. Will give it a sandblast and see if I can get it restored and as a side hobby start collecting and see if I can build up a toolbox just for well the fun of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Hazet tools

Post by Tony Z »

one thing to remember is that Hazet is as common in Germany as Gedore is in SA. Yes they made VW tools, but not all Hazet tools are VW tools.
freddiebooysen
Crankshaft

Post by freddiebooysen »

Thanks Tony appreciate it just thought it will be a nice side collection to do. Will post some pics on what I have and keep this one going as I collect. Also thought it will be nice to start a thread with what essential tools you guys think should be in your Vw. This could be bus or beetle. Will be nice to know what parts and tools you guys see as essential tools to have in your car.

retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Just as an addendum to you post above, the tool list and what spares to carry has been posted on a thread here on the forum, not sure where, but should you do a search, I am sure you will find it.

Keep us posted on your collection.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Post by Jdt1976 »

freddiebooysen wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:12 pm Also thought it will be nice to start a thread with what essential tools you guys think should be in your Vw. This could be bus or beetle. Will be nice to know what parts and tools you guys see as essential tools to have in your car.

Just take any tools with you..... My experience is than when I go without tools I needed it couple of times but not once when I had tools with me. :lol:
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

You correct in that statement, Jaco

the more tools and spares you carry the less you need them...

But must say that it then comes in handy to help others that carry noting.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

As a tool junkie myself I can never have too many tools. I do like older Hazet tools for their quality and the way they feel, and I have also started to collect them, one piece at a time.

On the Hazet VW tools front I have 2 very good condition round toolboxes, one from 1956 and one from 1963. I also recently acquired a complete Hazet 500 set from 1957. The Hazet 500 was the VW mechanics' tool set from the late 1950s. Hazet Assistents are also really useful workshop tool trolleys and my main workshop tool set resides in an Assistent that I found on gumtree a couple of years back.

Interestingly, Hazet was not the only maker of VW special tools. Snap On made their own versions of many Hazet special tools, and I have seen a single picture online of a Gedore 1600 tool set, which is a slightly abbreviated version of the Hazet VW mechanics' tool set, with Gedore versions of many of the special tools. There's something for the hunters to look out for. Gedore is a German tool maker which had a factory in SA since the 1970s or 1980s. Like everything else, I think all their production now is made in China.

I've no idea about the history of Hazet in SA, but I assume it's the usual story of someone acquiring an agency to import and distribute in SA. I've never seen a Hazet ad in any old magazine in SA.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

fig wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:07 am .... Gedore is a German tool maker which had a factory in SA since the 1970s or 1980s. Like everything else, I think all their production now is made in China............
The Gedore factory is in New Germany, Durban, I still installed their Powder coating plant for them.

Was given a set of "Tyre Levers" More like crow bars, what an excellent set of tools,

They still the best produced tools in South Africa, according to Me.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

I'm glad to hear Gedore is still manufacturing in SA. They no longer put Made in SA on their tools. I also think they are still the best tools made in SA, even though the ongoing production cost cutting is quite visible (as it is with new tools from Hazet and Stahlwille as well).
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

Some pics:

Hazet 500:

My Hazet Assistent (dates from the 1990s):

A couple of Hazet VW tools:

I know we have more tool junkies on these forums. Show us what you have!
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

freddiebooysen
Crankshaft

Post by freddiebooysen »

Wow really some nice sets there. Will keep on hunting and see what I can find

sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

I love tools, but i'm quite strangely not into the old stuff. I'm quite fond of the new stuff, but not the Chinese crap.

I've been building or adding onto my Snap-on collection over the past 2 or 3 years. The quality and range is amazing. Its all still made in the USA today.
Here's a few pics of some of the tools I have so far. I need to get a larger box too, ive run out of tool space in this one. As with Snap-on, you can customise your tool layout in any way and each item can be purchased individually or in sets.

This tap and die set is also one of the most useful sets to have. I just about re-tap everything on the last few bus motor i assembled. It really makes assembly a pleasure when bolts and screws turn in so nicely.

The torque wrench is one of the latest additions. Its a flippen amazing thing this. It can measure degrees of rotation (useful when tightening stretch bolts) and I can choose my torque measurenmnt in plenty styles, newton meters, foot pounds, kgf, the lot. It also has a range from 10NM all the way to 350NM.

Obviously for my self, I find Snap-On the best, but you must look after it by not losing items to get many years of use to justify the price, most things out of the USA are super expensive now. But for my workers in the factory, I by Gedore. Locally I think its the best value for money. The range is very small compared to Snap-On, but its also good quality and more reasonably priced, also because its still locally made. Most spanners, sockets and drivers are made in South Africa, pliers, pullers, grippers etc are made at their plant in Austria.

I purchased one of these "made in Taiwan" "lifetime guarantee" Makro sets a while back for the factory general use, it may have been Ampro or King Tony, but after taking back the socket wrenches and pliers 3 times in the first year due to breakages, they gave up on their warranty. This kind of stuff is for DIY enthusiasts and thats what they plan on with their warranty.
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

Original Hazet delivery van:

Copy of Hazet panelvan:

And a Brekina 1/87th miniature:
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult