Come talk £%$ with us.
XanderBez
Drip
What model do you have?: 1300 Baja

Rookie

Post by XanderBez »

Good Day

Good Day

I would please like to know how I can establish in which year my vehicle's engine was manufactured. I have a 1300 Baja Bug conversion that has been stationary for the past 3 years. So basicaly what I need to do before I drive my Bug again is to give it a major service (hence model establishment, if actually required) for once and then continue from there. It was fully functional the last time I drove it, did not let it stand for mechanical or engine failure. I did reverse it into a pole way before that, one of the exhaust pipes is a bit bent, possibly causing the ongoing backfire from gasket damage?

XanderBez
Drip
What model do you have?: 1300 Baja

Re: Rookie

Post by XanderBez »

Photos of me and my Bug
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: Rookie

Post by fig »

Welcome to ACVWSA Xander. Share your engine number and we may be able to give you an idea. Ongoing backfiring is most likely caused by a burnt valve, but can also come from an exhaust leak or lean mixture. You probably don't need to know the age of the engine. 1300 engines came in only 2 flavours: single port up to 1970, and twin port after 1970.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford