Come talk £%$ with us.
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Re: The Week That Was

Post by Chris »

I'll update it soon. :wink:

Damn,I'm good!
Beach Buggy (Running and now Aircooled!)
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

MMMm Great Update Motor Mouth!!! ;)
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Chris »

Let's go back a couple of weeks,George and particularly,the George Motor Show.

I just got a new job that is helping a lot,considering what has happened the last year or so.I wanted to leave early so that I would still get there when the sun is still out.But Murphy being what he is,had other plans and I got out of PE after five.With a three hour drive ahead of me and Bugger already there since early that morning,hopes of getting there in time for the guys from the City of Gold to be still in a tent-errecting state was pretty slim.

Now we all know what the George Metro farce..umh...force is like.Lots of visistors in nice cars means lots of revenue for the annual year end fuction.I saw them as I drove through town and I thought I should realy warn the guys when I get to camp seeing as they were out in full force to stop the not-so-sober-boy-racers.That thought,done!With my fellow campers now well imformed of the dangers of driving at,oh,let's say around elevenish,I went about greeting all the friends from far.

I walk past a blue Beetle with what looks like Boxster look-alike alloys,pretty new too,one side looking like it's going the wrong way,with a pair of legs hanging out each door.Later I would discover that it's TonyZ and his mate fixing a clutch problem.Remember my thought? Considder them informed.I greeted and move on as not to disturd the two lying on their bellies in the very uncomfortable front foot wells trying to resolve the problem of not having a clucth.Bugger is next up.He and Bonny is standing over by the Kaapse Kombi Club.

Bugger and the rest of the contingent,yes,it says so on his cool new T's,where clearly there since much earlier than me.We briefly had a discussion about more fortunate people,but I moved along quickly as by now my son and nephew were getting tired and their tent had to be up.I unpacked the car along with the contingent's tent which I placed on the trailer that TonyZ brought along.Kids tent first.johanb donated a hand pump for the blow-up matresses and soon they could brush their teeth and get in the jamies for a good night's sleep under the stars.But then we saw some smoke just behind the camping grounds and off I went with the kids to go see what the matter was.

It was a house burning down.We watched for a while as the police stood helplessly around doing crowd control.The absence of the fire brigade was quite obvious.We were later told that they don't have water so the house would burn down to the ground,sadly.I retuned to the camp,this time got the kids in bed and then started setting up my own tent before it got too late.A couple of guys stood around chatting and eventually we all wondered where the contingent dissapeared to as their tent was still on the trailer and still in the bag.We looked everywhere but we couldn't find them.By then Vader also arrived with the Darkside on tow.My tought of earlier,Vader told.

We stood around till after twelve and were congratulated on my birthday,and then I also got in my tent.The morning came and everyone got their cars ready for the show.Some rags,a bit of polish and off they went to show their pride and joy.Bugger and Bonny also made their appearance and after some inquiery about their whereabouts,heard that they were not in a state to put up a tent,so they,all three of them,big guys,slept in the rental Polo,and we could see it too.Stiff necks,red eyes,sore knees and not so bright morning personality.

Me,HR,VWRules,who pitched-up in the enemy's car,a land Rover, and Tom later hooked up at the show and we enjoyed all the sights and sounds in a very dry and dusty George.We aranged for a time to meet back at camp where we would have nice get together and a braai and also celebrate my birthday together with my wife and kids who only arrived later on Saturday.It was great fun and we all had a few good laughs.Vader's buddies was a scream a minute and it was nice sharing my 40th with close friends and family.TonyZ and Vader decided later that night,at around eleven to go see if there is still goings on in George.Remember my thought? Ignored.Darkside eventualy started up and it seemed like the clutch issue on TonyZ's Bug was sorted.They left camp and we could follow the distinct exhaust notes to far into George until we could not hear them anymore.

They stayed away a long time.About an hour later.Suicyde drove in through the gate.Vader got out,Tony got out,but Tony's buddy and Darkside were not there.Vader got the a-frame where he left it earlier,Suicyde got parked and the Zoom-Zoom,now with an a-frame in the boot and some mumblings about impound and arrested were thought to be heard.Nevertheless,they were off only to return about twenty minutes later with Darkside once again on tow.Tony's friend looked less than impressed.Details are still sketchy,but Tony's friend was driving Darkside when they got pulled over by the cops and Darkside only needed one look to realise that neither driver nor Darkside should be on the road and duly got impounded and arrested.Only TonyZ's diplomacy saved the night and both were allowed to go free only if the Darkside was on tow.Looks like curse has finaly turned on itself.

My masters degree in I-told-you-so is in the post.Sure,now we are laughing about it......

Archie is doing well on his travels and the Archie Diary was updated recently by Watercool.Hope the next update is soon,let's hold thumbs.Dutch is now back on the Island and it looks like he is settling in nicely,hopefuly Bobbie and Mo will be there soon as well.We got our first glimpse of Barry's Volksrod and I hope to see some more pics soon.Have you heard?Dirk at last saw his Fasty for the first time since he aquired it and Sarel Wagner's project is top secret.Come on Sarel,post some updates with pics.Heide-Marie's Beetle is looking good after the carport's roof fell on it and damaged it.Calooker showed off his stunning Beetle which I'm sure made a lot of guys green with envy just as Benjamin's Karmann Ghia did.

HR's house now looks like the front court of Capital Volkswagen and they just keep on comming.Stew8's Grace sounds like it's going to be very cool,but we can't tell,there's no pics.Combustion king's Big Toe V2.0 has taken Subru Bug's place for now,but we hope that also gets done soon.Thumper sadly sold his Bug and will surely be missed,but more by Thumper himself.Come now Buddy,get a Buggy.1964type1 is now part of the seriously cool club with one hell of a handsome looking engine.Karmakoma's Notch also needs an update,but we will wait patiently...........NOT! Pine got his stunning looking shell for his Buggy today and we can't wait to see how that turns out.

Ron has a Berry-T to get going and by the looks of things,1972 wants to do the impossible now,but miracles will take a bit longer.Good luck with the project Shane.Lowlight's Bus will hopefully be back soon so that he can show us the reason for the panelbeater keeping it for so long.Tom's Thing is clocking up lots of kilometers since it was finished,but that is the idea,isn't it? To enjoy what we have invested so much time and effort into.

With so many projects on the go and cool looking cars and with the economy turning for the better,2010 looks like it's going to be a good birthday year for ACVWSA and for the Beetle.Here's hoping to see a lot more great cars and great projects from a membership list that keeps growing daily.And Blitz,get that Fasty done!
Damn,I'm good!
Beach Buggy (Running and now Aircooled!)
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Type 1, 21b, 34, 316
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

vader wrote:MMMm Great Update Motor Mouth!!! ;)
It's a lot better than the Tie-Fighter update we saw... NOT!!!!!! :roll:
1964 T34 - The Razor: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10290
1956 T2 1b - Gill's bus: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10948
1967 T316 - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10931 & viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15977
2000 beach buggy - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10915
hitlers revenge
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: buggy
Great Britain

Post by hitlers revenge »

Damn Vader, you got no sympathy.

The man works from 05h00 to 21h00 everyday and make him write an update at 00h25. What kind?

Have a heart. :twisted:
Why do we celebrate the guy that invented the wheel??
Surely we must celebrate the guy tat invented the other three
Hloni
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: It was a '75.

Post by Hloni »

:hangloose:
"Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this" - Kerri Martin
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

Time for another one say what???
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

Chris wrote: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:41 amBeetlepower is also back home after his serious accident in which he lost a leg.And to proof to us that the human spirit can prevail,he came back with a bang,and from the hospital bed took the time to let us know that he was doing well,and getting stronger by the day.In the meantime he has received his prosthetic leg and is going through some very strenuous rehabilitation to learn to walk again.

We wish you well and hope to see you at fig’s again next year.
9 Years to the day that Reuben (Beetlepower) had his accident. Well done, Reuben - you are an inspiration to us all!
'The Week That Was' by Chris was the only reference I could find in the ACVWSA archive about the accident, but I know there used to be a thread on it.

Hope you don't mind me sharing your FB post here:

"9 years since things changed (for the better) for me at this very spot.

Thanks to all for your love, encouragement and support.

Thanks to Lauren Geraty for agreeing to partake in this crazy adventure. Love you lots.

Believe the unbelievable. Dream the impossible and never take no for an answer.

Happy Stump Day"