Do you miss the Drive-in??

Off Topic Media
buggyfan
Long Block
What model do you have?: lwb beachbuggy
South Africa

Do you miss the Drive-in??

Post by buggyfan »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by buggyfan on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '76 BRAZILIA '78 BAY
Facebook: yes

Re: Do you miss the Drive-in??

Post by Cyndi Kritzinger »

THANKS BUGGYFAN.

THAT BROUGHT A SMILE TO MY FACE REMEMBERING THE 'GOOD OLD DAYS'.

MARK
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Ag pleez Daddy won't you take us to the drive in
All six seven of us eight nine ten
We wanna see a fliek about Tarzan and the Ape Men
And when the show's over you can bring us back again

As kids my folks used to take us to the drive in every weekend during school holidays. Ahhh, the good old days. :wink:
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Merlin
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?:  Various

Post by Merlin »

Having first visited The Velskoen in my Dad's last Beetle, alongside my folks and my then baby sister, speaker through the window and snacks abound, I thought it only apt that I attend the last show, on the last night, in my bug, with my lady-friend as passenger...

It was fuller than I'd seen it in some time, yet still spartan, strikingly so, given the occasion. It seemed, to me, that there were more than a few of us there for sentimental reasons.

I vividly remember an aged chap, two or three bays over, who struck me as both contented and sad. It was only later that the dots were connected...he was there for a connection, remembering his late wife and The Velskoen.

It was a rather sad departure.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, and oversteer, the rear.
Hp is how fast you hit the wall, and Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
sled wrote:well obviously the UK is wrong.
buggyfan
Long Block
South Africa

Post by buggyfan »

Still remember as a small lad going to watch The gods must be crazy pt2 at Velskoen with my folks .
Hanging from the roof in the kafeteria was a scale model of the airplane used in the movie with a hole in the floorboard aswell :lol: :lol:
Gods_must_be_crazy_ii.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Its strange that the the majority of the generation that where conceived in a Drive-In, do not know what a Drive-In is.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol:

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

LOL, I am sure some of the girls who frequented the drive in's could also be referred to as a drive in ;-)
buggyfan
Long Block
South Africa

Post by buggyfan »

"
: End of an Era Cruise - Velskoen Drive In - 3rd March

buggyfan wrote:

but............

if all goes according to plan a new drive in will open in August somewhere in the Harties area,might even be the old Harties drive in itself.
SEEMS LIKE THIS hasnt gone as planned as the Harties drive-in screen is for sale

http://www.frisbeeinvestments.co.za/p/3 ... sing-board
While driving around the Hartebeestpoortdam ,I came upon where the old Harties drive-in used to be situated .
Hard to believe with a scrapmetal yard close by the screen is actually still standing . :shock: :shock:
IMG-20150409-00010.jpg
IMG-20150409-00011.jpg
Hippie1
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 1972 1600L

Post by Hippie1 »

Ja those were the days. Still remember me and the ex's first date. Panorama drive in in Bloemies. Went with my dads yellow mazda F1000. We were so shy that you could fit another couple between us on that bench seat lol.
The Bug has bitten. I'm doomed for ever
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

I was fortunate enought o have grown up around a number of Drive Ins, and we used to frequent them frequently in style.. A Monster Jaguar Mk 10, with tables in the back seats. :lol:
Grew up in JHb South, and our regular Drive Ins of the day included: Baragwanath, Speedy's, Panorama, the AWESOME Top Star, and now and then, out to 4 Ways.
Not sure how many of you remember the late "Tape Deck" Sound Modification they "invented" which allowed you to plug in a Cassette which was connected to the Speaker system, and it would transfer the audio via the Tape Deck head to your car's audio system.. THAT was frikkin amazing.. Drive In audio from allt he speakers in your car... :hangloose:

I miss the simple and un-cluttered days.
Hippie1
Oil Leak

Post by Hippie1 »

I still have one of those somewhere in my packed up stuff AC. Later I used it to listen to CD's in the car that I played on a old Sony walk man CD player. Was in the days when front loaders were so expensive that it was only the sound crazy could afford one
Hippie1
Oil Leak

Post by Hippie1 »

I still have one of those somewhere in my packed up stuff AC. Later I used it to listen to CD's in the car that I played on a old Sony walk man CD player. Was in the days when front loaders were so expensive that it was only the sound crazy could afford one. Think it was called a cinema adapter
Pinch
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Kango Buggy
South Africa

Post by Pinch »

Geez only came across this now, my Dad always used to say: Ja dit spook weer by die in-Ry vanaand as die ligte aan gaan, dan spook die man en dames om hulle klere uit te sort. :D :D Me and my seat cover used to visit Waterberg drive in between Warmbaths and Nylstroom.

Used to spread the blanket and take out the skottle braai and make boerewors rolls. One night i tripped the guy with his tray of sweets and popcorn, Ha ha we had free sweets around us as he could not found all of them in the dark with his dim torch. :flash:

I wish my sons could have experience the magic of the drive ins.

Pinch
jmvv
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 68 Variant 69 Beetle

Post by jmvv »

And Drive-inn's were a godsend for a guy doing military conscription duties in the 1970's.

Admission was 35 cents per person.

This later changed to 65 cents per car.
(39.2 liters of fuel used to cost R7.20, those days)

You also had the scourge of the drive inn. The guy with the tray of sweets and snacks walking between the cars peddling his wares. This idiot had the habit of knocking on the window just when you got everything so steamed up that you obviously had no intention of watching the movie any further.

Friday nights in Evander Drive in in the winter. Me and my young wife under the blanket in the Bantam bakkie when it's so cold that the cars all have a layer of frost when the lights come on for interval.
AlastairAlbern
Drip
What model do you have?: none

Post by AlastairAlbern »

Hi Buggyfan,
Yes I do and remember we used to go with our dad and it was fun watching movie in fresh and open air.