fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

'VW reinvents the beach buggy'

Post by fig »

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/cars/volk ... -1.1136712

Surf's up dude! Based on the Up city car, this concept car is a buggy for the 21st century.

VW reinvents the beach buggy
September 13 2011 at 03:00pm
By Jason Woosey

In many ways, Volkswagen's new Up city car is meant to be a spiritual successor to the original Beetle - even if they didn't end up putting the engine in the back as was originally planned.

It's fitting, then, that just like the Beetle spawned the venerable beach buggy, the Up now lends its innards to a modern buggy - and one that already has us envisioning balmy beachside cruises despite the fact that it's officially just a concept vehicle.

Of course, this 'Buggy Up' concept is a lot more sophisticated than those fibreglass creations that sprung up in California in the '60s (even becoming a hit in coastal regions of our country) although the essential open format is still in place.

For starters, this concept is made from advanced, lightweight steels and its somewhat cheeky exterior styling is completely distinct from that of the Up city car that this buggy shares its chassis with. The buggy is also 44mm longer, 31mm wider and 190mm lower than the Up.

Like the original buggies, an open, door-less cabin is the order of the day and the cabin is completely waterproof, right down to the drains in the floor and in the neoprene-coated shell seats. Should it be a prolonged downpour, however, you'd be able to erect a sail between the windscreen and roll bar.

VW even managed to design a waterproof infotainment system, which also sports an iPod/iPhone dock and the entire module (including speakers) can be removed when you arrive at a beach party and no one else bothered to bring music along.

While beach buggies were never known for their safety credentials, the Buggy Up sports extensive body reinforcements and a sturdy roll bar behind the two seats to make up for the lack of doors and a roof.

fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
DR WATSON
Clutch
What model do you have?: 56,66,69,73,FLEET

Re: 'VW reinvents the beach buggy'

Post by DR WATSON »

I prefer the old school Beach Buggies :hangloose: Just my opinion :twisted:
IM DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE!
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

Its nicer than the "New Beetle"...

Much nicer...

They may even make some money with it....
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

I agree, it looks better than a WaterBug. It will probably cost R300k, though. Who wants to be first take an expensive new car loaded with electronics into the sand?

And who will volunteer to fix it when it breaks in the dunes?

I think I'll pass ...
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
sarel.wagner
Pushrod
What model do you have?: T1 x 4, Split SCwide
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sarel.wagner

Post by sarel.wagner »

Front wheel drive anyone.... :oops:

Rgrds
New Konzept (o\ ! /o) Build Blog: http://konzeptdrei.blogspot.com/
T1 in '63 '67 '73 and Rusty a '71, DC Bay (sold), Variant, T2 '75 SC Fleetline Wide loadbed splittie
What other people think of you is none of your damn business ;)
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

Thanks for posting, Fig! :hangloose:

Interesting concept, although I doubt it will be any more than just that. The price will put it way out of reach of the people that would actually enjoy driving one.

The appeal that buggies have always had to me is exactly what VW have never been able to produce, namely individualism. The 'old' (air cooled, fibreglass bodyshell) buggies were a product of its owner's creativity, initiative and taste. Driving a vehicle that is one of x number off a production line simply doesn't do it for me.

'Concept' buggies is nothing new in automotive history, my favourite (non-VW) version is the Bertone 'Shake' buggy from the 70's:
The Bertone Shake was built on a SIMCA 1200 S chassis, the same one used for the coupé created by the Turin designer for the French manufacturer. Bertone's attention had been captured by the "dune buggy" idea, and he decided to try his hand at this type of vehicle, albeit on a different level from the typical "home-made" car. A prototype like this was conditioned by the need to guarantee safety in all driving conditions, due to the fact that the car would often be used off-road, and the SIMCA 1200 S chassis was therefore adapted to include some stylistic elements used in a previous design (the 1969 Runabout). The Turin designer also devoted the same level attention that had gone into the preparation and adaptation of the structure of the car to cope with difficult conditions, to the finishing touches. The Bertone Shake was presented at the 1970 Paris Motor Show to widespread acclaim, above all among the younger visitors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buggyfan
Long Block
What model do you have?: lwb beachbuggy
South Africa

Post by buggyfan »

[quote="fig"]I agree, it looks better than a WaterBug. It will probably cost R300k, though. Who wants to be first take an expensive new car loaded with electronics into the sand?

And who will volunteer to fix it when it breaks in the dunes?

I think I'll pass ...[/quot

Talking about pointless cars ,look up the vw aqua concept car

http://www.caradvice.com.au/121958/volk ... ang-yuhan/
http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;