Gill's new ride

Non ACVW models.
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 69 dual trunk coupe

Re: Gill's new ride

Post by karmakoma »

Friend of mine bought his first new car in something like 15 years.
Very excited, new Amarok double cab with all the trimmings, BUT, he forgot to measure his garage....
Now the Amarok sleeps outside, and his skedonk still parks in the garage :-)

The AMAROK is BIG bakkie.

Only problem I still have with modern vw's is that you have to buy them from a South-African VW dealer....

Further hijack. Saw a new , new beetle today. Looks good :hangloose:

forcecooled
Single Port
What model do you have?: 1970 1600 cc Beetle
South Africa

Post by forcecooled »

Lovely Bakkie

Needs a decent engine bakkie type engine - I predict huge problems when these are used for extended periods of hard work - lovely shopping trolley and boulevard cruiser though !
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Type 1, 21b, 34, 316
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

Thanks forcecooled. I'll let you know how it fulfils the purpose I bought it for.

But how long would it have to perform so called "hard work" before it has "proven itself"? Can you give us any specific criteria? 300 000km? 500k? Maybe after the next 3 Paris to Dakars as back up vehicle? Or 10 years maybe? Or should it outlast the new Landrover? Or the Landcruiser? Do you have anything measurable, anything less inconclusive than "extended periods" of "hard work"? Of course not...

I remember when the first Golfs came out, they "burned valves". They didn't of course, not when the manufacturers instructions related to valve adjustment were followed, and then certainly no more than any other vehicle in it's class and in it's time, but it was a new thing, this watercooled VW, so had to be derided by those that think they know everything better. We are now at year 38 (34 in SA) of Golfs and these ridiculous allegations still persist. But I suppose they are out-dated (and disproven), so let's start a new one.
1964 T34 - The Razor: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10290
1956 T2 1b - Gill's bus: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10948
1967 T316 - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10931 & viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15977
2000 beach buggy - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10915
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

retrovan wrote:Know what you mean.

The only problem with that "Bakkie" is the size and the feeling of invincibility.

You think you are the Hulk, And nothing can hurt you.......Quit scary, once you realise this fact.... :shock:

But hey!! know you will enjoy it, and remember, NO revenge on the Cow Population.........Please!!!

Herman
I hear you... It's the first time I own a bakkie. I didn't buy it to play chicken with trucks (different thing from a bakkie, Henry! :lol: ) just to come off better than the Audi when making beef burgers. I mean, it was a close shave with the Audi, you saw the photo's.

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... di#p237929

I can imagine that you get to feel a lot tougher than you are. I'll remind myself every now and then. :shock:
forcecooled
Single Port
What model do you have?: 1970 1600 cc Beetle
South Africa

Post by forcecooled »

Lo Ron,

I am sure that bakkie will serve your purpose very well, and in great comfort safety and with a huge dose of what a lot of the Jap stuff often lacks--- STYLE!

The comment I made is based on observations made by people in companies that operate bakkies in harsh enviornments. I think it stands to reason that a continually boosting 2 ltr TD engine is not going to last as well as a 2.2 litre toyota hi lux n/a petrol engined bakkie. I am sure that VW has built in a few safety systems to stop the motors (or the turbo's) self destructing.

Family members had a real issue with a TD golf wagon when transporting an an ill person from Colesburg to Bloem and the engine managemant system decided that the motor had been hammered flat out for long enough and put itself into limp mode - you can imagine the anxiety that caused with half the trip still to go !

I wish you miles of smiles with your new car Ron!
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

Thanks.

I think the TDi motors have proven themselves as very reliable indeed, but I am sure there are some that give trouble. One can qoute examples for anything and everything which is imperfect.

Point is though, I do not intend to climb mountains or do off road challenges, nor do I intend to venture up into darkest Africa (why would I want to go there, I work there!!). What I wanted was a car, SUV or bakkie that I could chuck my dive gear and camping stuff into, and hook my little RIB onto, and I want to be able to pull it up a slip way, and, when I eventually know how, and build up enough courage, take it on the beach and launch through the surf. I want to drive from Sodwana to Rock Tail bay without having to go all the way back to the N2. I want to sit up high when I am game watching in Hluhluwe. And I want to get there and back safely, back being Hermanus. I don't want to spend a huge amount on fuel. Other cars I looked at was the Fortuner. Nice, very nice, but the petrol one drinks like a fish and the diesel one, well, much of a muchness. Might as well buy a VW then. I drive a Nissan Pathfinder here at work, also a turbo diesel YD25DDTi 130kW vs 132 and 403Nm vs 400. Much the same. Drives OK. But a 4.5 litre petrol Landcruiser it isn't, that I know.

Other than that, I'll take the dogs to the beach and haul ACVW gearboxes and engines and stuff around. And, I wager it will A-frame a bus just fine. I think I will enjoy having a bakkie.

But a shopping trolley it will not be. That we have the Golfie for. I mean, imagine trying to park that Amarok in a P'n'P parking lot, no thanks.

Oh, and I wanted to be back in the new car market. I have forgone that pleasure since October 1984, when I bought my Golf CSL from Capitol Motors.
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :10: :10: :10: :grouphug: :grouphug: :deflag: :10:

FORKEN A ObiWan!!

I know Gill has been waiting for it in ANNNNNTISIPATION!!! It is such a beautiful bukkie an a big A+ to VW on thier first Bukkie. Looks good has a sweet TDi motor, my TDi 1.9 Golf 4 got 750km on 65l @ max speed and 1100km on gas endused cruize mode, so your fuel economy should be good. Then there is the 4motion system, the I/0 software has been used for the past 10 yrs in the Golf, Passat, CC and been refined for the Amarok, the mechanical harks back to the Syncros and we all know how good those were. There has been no problems that Im aware of being reported on the syspension, UNLIKE the supposed king of SUV the Fortuna which fell over on dirt roads. It has a huge pick up section for a double cab and then we havent even spoken about VW's industry leading interior quality or ergonomics!!!

I think the reason why VW doesnt want to sell the Amarok in the States is cause it would be considered a small pick-up compared to the Ford F150 & Dodge RAM.

But wow Ron that is a sweet ride. I did here that VW will lanch the Amarok Auto in Jan 2013...
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

Ron&Gill wrote:
But how long would it have to perform so called "hard work" before it has "proven itself"? Can you give us any specific criteria? 300 000km? 500k? Maybe after the next 3 Paris to Dakars as back up vehicle? Or 10 years maybe? Or should it outlast the new Landrover? Or the Landcruiser? Do you have anything measurable, anything less inconclusive than "extended periods" of "hard work"? Of course not...
Nice bakkie Ron. :hangloose:

I suppose this is a pretty opinionated belief, but you need to own a car for at least 20 years or 500 000km before you can talk about reliability. Give the bakkie a chance then, we can talk 20 years later and see if it's still going well......
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

I'll take you up on that... Pinelands Place, 2032...
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Congrats Ron, hope you and Gill like it.

On the reliability... isnt something reliable until it breaks. Even then it might just be a case for a repair and not a reliability issue.
If you are too scared to drive in fear of breaking down, then its probably a reliability issue.
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

Gill is loving it, she was on about the fuel economy last night (she's a banker... no fun at all... :lol: :lol: ) In the Audi, Gill got 650km on a tank. Ron got... 400, ok, ok, 350... but I got there earlier... a bit... But it was more fun, she admits... :mrgreen: when she's not hanging on to the "af-kak-handle". :lol:
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

Hahaha....
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Ron&Gill wrote:Gill is loving it, she was on about the fuel economy last night (she's a banker... no fun at all... :lol: :lol: ) In the Audi, Gill got 650km on a tank. on got... 400, ok, ok, 350... but I got there earlier... a bit... But it was more fun, she admits... :mrgreen: when she's not hanging on to the "af-kak-handle".
:lol:
Something I have worked out over the years.

The Damage to the Foot-well on the passenger side of the car is directly proportional to the way I drive.

Strange thing that.........

Herman

PS the lack of fuel economy is also directly proportional to the Damage to the Foot-well on the passenger side. :huh:
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

Drove back from Sodwana on 13 Feb. 2000km, 21hours (1 hour slower than the Audi) but 8.7l/100km at 127km/h on the clock, 119km/h on the GPS. Very comfy too. With the Amarok, I tried the more direct route up past Jozini, Pongola and down through Vryheid, Dundee etc to Harrismith. Nearly collected another cow near Dundee.

What's with all the speed bumps?!? F...!!

Oh yes, and loaded to the gunwales with dive gear. :mrgreen: