ハチロク (Boxer 86)

Non ACVW models.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

ハチロク (Boxer 86)

Post by Pine »

Anyone seen the cool logo on the side of the new Toyota 86? Took these pics last week at the George Show. I'm not a huge fan of Japanese cars, but I really LIKE the 86! :hangloose:

I could pretend I know all about the 86, but I don't :oops: - so here is some more info from my good friend W.Ikipedia :lol:
The Toyota 86 is a sports coupé developed jointly by Japanese automobile manufacturers Toyota and Subaru. It features a boxer engine, front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout and 2+2 seating.

The 86 is sold under three different brands associated with its creators, Toyota and Subaru. Toyota (Toyota 86 in Japan, South Africa and Australia and Toyota GT86 in Europe), Subaru (Subaru BRZ) and Scion (Scion FR-S for the United States and Canada).

"86" (pronounced "eight-six" or Hachi-Roku (ハチロク), more commonly pronounced as "eighty-six") refers to the Toyota AE86, a popular and well-regarded series of rear-wheel drive sports coupes and hatchbacks sold as the Toyota Sprinter Trueno and Toyota Corolla Levin from 1983 to 1987 . As such, the Toyota 86 has been named as the spiritual successor of the original AE86 during the press release of the 86. The heritage of the Toyota 86 can also be traced back to the Toyota 2000GT, Toyota's classic front engine, rear-drive sports car with a 2.0 liter engine along with the Toyota Sports 800, Toyota's first sports car which used a boxer engine. Coincidently, the bore and stroke of the engine is also 86 mm.

The significance of the reference to the series AE86 was that both the Trueno and Levin of this series were the last with rear wheel drive; the following Sprinter Trueno and Corolla Levin series AE92 were released with front wheel drive thereafter. The previous Corolla Levin and Sprinter Trueno were performance enhanced trim packages of the Corolla and Sprinter for each generation of the Levin and Trueno; the current platform is unique and not related to the current Corolla or variants.

MarshallGTi
Camshaft
What model do you have?: GTi 16v

Re: ハチロク (Boxer 86)

Post by MarshallGTi »

needs more oomph i reckon, but i'm told its great to drive cos its been designed properly WRT weight distribution and suspension setup
Ryan Marshall

An ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place

My Bug http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 37&t=25752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;