Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Tony Z has a Baywindow Panel Van

Post by Tony Z »

Kegan... I'd rather not post all the specs for this one.
There is plenty work behind the scenes that you dont see and it isnt a simple slap together and tighten everything up like a stock 1600. I spent MUCH more time mocking everything up to ensure nothing hits anything else than I did actually assembling the engine.
Assembly is the easy part, getting everything ready for assembly is the hard part. And the last thing I want to do is post a list of parts which you can go buy, then you spent 30 or 40 frustrating hours trying to get it to work only to give up or get careless and wreck the engine.
I'll admit though, it was easier when I mocked it up on a later model case (AS, AH...), this F case didnt want to let me win ;-)

And they say the devil is in the details... there are plenty little details in this one to get it to work better and more efficiently.

Wentzel
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: T1 1977,76

Post by Wentzel »

Very nice build Tony I wish I had all the tools you have its frustrating to look for a engineering shop to trust with the non standard machine work.
Oxyboxer Project

Never Ending Beetle Project viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35724
Lolette Spyder Project http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=32175
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

it has taken a long time to collect the tools that I have... and yet there are still plenty tools I'd like to get my hands on...
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

I have been using the bus on and off over the last two weeks and am enjoying it tremendously.

Last week I had new 195R14C 8ply tyres fitted to replace the retreads.
Yesterday I treated her to a car wash - simply because I draw the line at using a ladder to wash a car, so I paid someone else to do it for me. This brought to light the need to replace a few rubbers as the inside of the bus was nice and wet after the high pressure washer had its fun.

Today I started off replacing the starter motor which has been giving me grief. I had to remove the right side carb to gain access. When doing this I found that my one vacuum hose had broken off. I am very grateful I didnt use this hose as a fuel line. Anyway, I fitted my new Chinese starter with a bit of cursing. The starter bolt with the funny head that stops it from spinning, has nowhere to locate on this starter. Thankfully it didnt take me long to make up a location device. After plenty cursing trying to get the nut on the bolt, I finally had the starter fitted. Tested it - all OK
Then I ran some new piping for the vacuum signal.
Also reset my carb linkage and synchronized it.
The bus actually runs a little smoother now and quieter. Not that it didnt run smoothly before.
Then I replaced the bulb in one indicator, now all my indicators work.
And I fitted my new cargo door handle for the inside.

It is so nice to have a starter motor that works....
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

The bus is and has been driving without any issues.
I have done close to 1500km with it now and am pleasantly happy.
I have not yet done a first service, which I really need to do soon. I still have not dont anything to the jetting nor have I got the leaking exhaust fixed.

The bus plutters along nicely as a stock unit would, nice and smooth, and slow if you wish.
But with a bit more gusto, she keeps up with normal accelerating traffic, getting a few funny looks when I do rev a little. She does have a fair bit of get-up-and-go.
I am not yet getting the fuel economy that I want but thats probably because I am driving everywhere at 110 to 120km/h when on the highway. She spends most of her time around 5000rpm. Currently getting about 8km/l. I am sure if I slowed down to 80 or 90 then the economy would improve.
Hey, what better way to shake the engine down and test the new con-rods?

Once I get the exhaust fixed, I'll spend a bit of time on the jetting and maybe get her onto a dyno for shivs and giggles
Muderick
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 65T2 66T1 72T2 73T2

Post by Muderick »

Hmmm Tony.... looks as if you are really starting to enjoy being a bus driver. There is nothing like it to be honest. Yes, our sooped up beetles might be faster, but there is nothing that beats driving your bus.

You will get the best fuel economy if your run at the the VW recommended speed of around 90 kmh. Try it and notice the difference.

Your engine is also happier around the 4100 to 4300 rpm range... so easy on the right pedal... We all know your right foot is all to familiar with speed due to Angrrr. :lol:

Enjoy boet!
Muds

Old School or Bust!
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Too true Muds...
Unfortunately sometimes I just dont have the time to do 90...
and yes, 4100 is ideal, but how can I make claims about my engines if I am not willing to push the envelope on my own engines?

Just for the record, I am no in ways used to the speed of Angrrr. Thats a different ballpark altogether and I mostly only notice it when I look at the cars in the rearview mirror.
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

lol.. you mechanic you...
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Ok, I suppose its time for some sort of update....

First service is done, the oil came out without any fancy shavings and valves needed minimal adjustment, so the engine seems to be doing OK.

what has happened since my last update???
Exhaust leaks have been fixed, but I hate this exhaust and dont think the silencers actually do any real sort of silencing. So, sometime next year, I'll have to get this sorted out.
The engine has been behaving great. Starts immediately and runs without issue. The idle is a bit high, but that is because of my lazyness and not bothering to do anything about it.
Jetting still needs proper setup, but these ICT carbs are shiv to work on as the jets are inside the fuel bowls. Screw that, I'll install my faithfull IDFs sometime soon so I can adjust jetting without taking the linkage and carbs apart.
As far as performance goes, she is doing OK. Most Capetonians know of Plattekloof hill on the N1, well, in 4th gear, doing 80km/h I can get to the top without slowing down - thats pretty much keeping up with traffic on that hill. I did have a clear run a few days ago and started off at 80 at the bottom, about 1/4 way up, the slow lane opened and I put my foot down, I made it to 95 over the steepest section at the top just before it begins to level out - in 4th, I didnt change down to 3rd.
And then, some of you may know Vissershok road... 80 at the bottom of the incline and 70 in 4th over the crest... no need to change down to 3rd
So I am pretty happy and this engine is fulfilling all my wishes.
Yes yes yes, this is in an empty panel van and not a camper.... I know.

Other than that, I have recently had a few minor spots of rust under the front windscreen and around the rear bumper removed and have treated her to a full respray. Those who have seen it will admit to it being dead straight ad simply stunning.
I have not actually taken any pictures of my own, so here are three which I stole off facebook

acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Sounds good. However, it's not expected that you leave the idling so high and exhaust so bad. Sounds nasty. You REALLY need to get it to run quieter and sound right if you going to want to use it to help promote your engine work buddy.
safe travels.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

You make it sound so bad Alan...
She idles at 1200rpm, which yes, is too high. You heard those silencers not doing much muffling...
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Tony Z wrote:You make it sound so bad Alan...
She idles at 1200rpm, which yes, is too high. You heard those silencers not doing much muffling...

Time to take out the good Book......

:oops:
:hiding:

:TIC: :TIC:

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

lol.. well it's not that bad I guess.. But there's room for Zzzzimprovement. ;-)
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Nice to see the van getting to the stadard of your choice.. Enjoy.
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

This is such a lovely super-original classic commercial example - was great seeing it at the Newlands Forest gathering, you've made some nice progress there Tony :)
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.