Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Tony Z has a Baywindow Panel Van

Post by Tony Z »

Now onto clearancing the case for the long stroke crank, short rods and bigger pistons.

I hate clearancing a case for a long stroke crank... Anyway, its done now...

Then I moved onto some more mocking up. Not gonna go into all the nitty gritty of what needs to be checked, but lets just say that its everything.

When pulling the pistons out of the liners to measure these all up, I noticed a hole in the one new liner... yay

The best part is that these are imported... so getting a replacement is going to be a PITA.
Good thing I had a spare set on the shelf, I'll deal with warrantee later, for now, I'll keep on with the project.

Checking deckheight to calculate the shim sizes that I need

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

OK, I have to confess that a project like this is slow going.
The first thing that makes it so slow is that, since this is a fully custom engine, everything needs to be checked and double checked. And I mean everything.

It seems I missed a picture of the crank
I keep my cranks covered in Tectyl while I store them.

The Tectyl comes off pretty easily in paraffin

Ant then for anyone using a new crank, this is a vital step which must not be forgotten
Remove the grub screws from the drilled oil galleries, clean the internals of any swarf that might be left behind and then loctite the grub screws back in. If a grub screw comes out, you might or might not have damage from it flying around, but you will loose oil pressure as the oil is now free flowing out of the crank instead of going to the various engine bearings and this will lead to a fairly rapid seizure of the engine.

Slowly coming together

New pushrod tubes with imported silicon seals

long block nearly finished
[/quote]
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

And then, since the case is a universal replacement case, it has the type 3 dipstick tube hole in the block

Since I dont have any use for it, it needs a blanking plate.
Question is, where to get one?
Well, screw hunting and spending money on fuel, I'll make one.

Find the gasket in a gasket kit and use this as a template (after making the bolt holes bigger so that the gasket fits)
Then grab an aluminium offcut and begin

Make smooth and flat

fast forward 90min
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

And now onto pictures which I have not yet posted anywhere...

Coming back to the heads.
Here you can see where the stock valves seated in the stock valve seats. The grey ares on the valve seat is where I lapped the valve to check the seat location. You can see how high up on the seating surface it sits. This basically makes a 35.5mm valve have the same effective size as a 33mm valve. So some time needs to be taken to move the seat out a little to ensure maximum air flow. This also results in me being able to cut a longer 60* entry angle into the seat to improve the seats airflow efficiency.

And now you can see below two inlet valves, the one on the right shows where the seat has now moved to, while the one on the left has been backcut for improved airflow

And now below, the valves are slightly polished before being sent off for ceramic coating. See the difference between the unpolished valves (dark areas on valve head/poppet)

And now, the final ceramic coated product
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Then with the build nearing completion, I needed an oil pump.
To my surprise, I didnt have the oil pump which I needed. It seems like my last oil pump purchase was for the wrong pump...
Anyway, I still had a used but good pump from Angrrr which I could use. However, this pump was modified for full flow, so the outlet oil hole was plugged. I removed this plug and decided that the pump was good enough like this...
But I needed an oil pump cover.
All my steel covers were well worn down, so the logic is to make one smooth in the milling machine but I couldnt find a way to hole one down properly, so I scrapped that idea.
Next option, put sandpaper onto a sheet of glass and lap the cover until flat... nah, too much effort.
Third option, use an old aluminium full flow cover and plug the cover. Nah, I could use this cover in the future somewhere...
4th and final option, make a new cover. So I grabbed an offcut of aluminium and made a 10mm thick cover.
Before and after
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Now onto the clutch....
more power, more torque and using a stock 200mm flywheel and pressure plate.
I wanted to keep the clutch pedal light, so upgrading the pressure plate from stock to a stage 1 was not one of my options.
With this in mind, I had previously imported a dual friction clutch disc which can handle more torque than a stock clutch disc, but still provides smooth engagement. I use one similar in Angrrr with great success.

And now rockers...
Take and old set apart to use the rocker arms.
Fit the arms onto a solid shaft with bolt on end caps instead of the clips. Also, instead of using wavey (Belleville) washers, flat shims are used. These shims need to be adjusted and swapped out to keep a tight floating clearance on the rocker arm while lining up the rockers with the valve stems (slightly off center to the stems).
This stops the rocker shafts from coming apart due to the combination of higher rpm, more radical cam and heavier valve springs.
It also makes the valve train a fair bit quieter than when using the stock rocker shafts with the big cam combo.

Stock

Final setup installed
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Then fitted CB serpentine pulley and belt system. This was actually bought for my 1302 but I wanted some bling for this engine too, so I used it now....

Engine together and ready for install...

but wait, there is more
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

The bus is on the lift

But something is missing

One of my ideas for the bus when fitting this bigger engine was to be able to use the power to make cruising easier, quieter and if needed, able to go faster without over-revving the engine.
So I sourced a 2L kombi geabox and had Bugger recondition it. This is to replace the lower geared 1600 gearbox
Like I said, I have been planning this engine build for a while

Two boxes together

Now you will see that the 1600 gearbox has a shorter input shaft than the 2L box.
The 1600 box was made for the type 1 (beetle) engine, while the 2L box was made for the Type 4 engine.

Now the correct way to fix this is to swap the bellhousings and also the input shafts around.
I swapped the bellhousing, but the input shaft I could not get out. All the tutorials online say to remove the input shaft after popping off the bellhousing. But this 091 gearbox must need it done in a different way as I couldnt get the shaft over the diff.
The diff in itself looks like a much larger unit than in the 1600 box and also has 4 spider gears unlike the 1600 box which only has 2. So its a massive upgrade as far as the gearbox's strength does.
How to fit the T1 engine to the T4 input shaft? Especially since I wasnt going to take a newly reconditioned gearbox apart.
Simple, take an angle grinder and remove 14mm off of the shaft.
Now the shaft will fit into the bearing in the T1 glandnut without bottoming out. Just remember that if you do this, and you wish to fit a T4 engine, you need to get a spigot shaft bearing and fit it to the flywheel of the T4 as the input shaft no longer reaches the bearing in the crank.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

some of you might wonder why I didnt just fit a T4 engine to the T4 gearbox and have the better cooling and higher speed cruising for a lot less effort.
Well, it is a valid question.
The reason for this one is that this bus was a 1600 originally. So it was a T1.
The bus is in such good condition, that I dont want to make any changes which I dont deem worthy. Changing from a T1 to a T4 in my mind is too much for this bus.
I am doing the bus justice by not fitting an interior and thus keeping it as a "tribute" to a panel van. The same goes with the engine. It was a T1, so its staying a T1.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

The bus is now up and running.
It took a few runs to get the jetting right, but unlike on Angrrr, the engine responded to my jetting and now holds its air/fuel ratio stead between 12.5:1 and 12.7:1 at wide open throttle all the way from 2500rpm to 5500rpm.
If nothing else, the stuff I have learned from jetting Angrrr made jetting this one a lot easier.

Two days ago I took the bus for its first real shakedown. 70km in mixed highway and traffic driving. All I can say is that this bus drives fantastically at the moment. It isnt too loud (no interior to muffle the engine) and handles the 2L box without any issues. She is happy at 80km/h in 4th as well as at 100 and also at 120. I did learn that the bus isnt happy at 130 and gets a little "floaty" on the road.
Power delivery is easy and smooth.
All in all, I am very happy with the new engine and the work done. She really is a pleasure to drive.

I have a few tiny things to sort out, like adjusting the clutch a little and moving the gear lever plate.
I then want to get a few more km on it before making one or two small changes, but none of this is a big job or a major change.
Chardivw
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 78 kombi 2000l
Facebook: Snowater photography

Post by Chardivw »

Awesome progress there Tony. Was wondering what you were going to do with that 2l gearbox haha. Wish every thread could be as detailed and informative as this. Makes me want to get out of bed and into the garage!
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Chardivw wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:47 pm. Makes me want to get out of bed and into the garage!
Well, go ahead... even if you just lie there and polish a hubcap, progress is progress.
A friend once told me that he wants to build an engine but doesnt know where to start. My reply was to just start somewhere, anywhere... as long as he is doing something that needs doing (and not wasting his time) then it'll be one thing ticked off the list which doesnt need doing later. Eventually there wont be anything left on the list that needs doing and suddenly you'll realize that the project is finished
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Great to see all the effort you putting in and are able to machine most yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

Donovan D
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 67 Panel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=536371512
South Africa