Forum rules
Only post pictures of YOUR cars here.
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

My 1972 Crossover Baywindow

Post by sean »

Well, as in the subject line, I lowered my standards to purchase a Bastard, 1972 crossover. :twisted: :twisted: I suppose i needed it for the collection.

I went up last month to East London to fetch it. It has good potential. It has a couple of rust spots that will need some metal replacing, but otherwise its a good original unmolested project.

Here it is.

I unfortunately lost one of my trailers ramps on the way up during the night. Im not sure if it managed to come loose or it was possibly stolen while I was sleeping at one of the truck stops. With the ramp missing, I was little hesitant as to how we were going to get the bus on the trailer. Luckily Chris was there (VW Rulz on the forum) with his trailer also picking up a bus. We decided to get he bus onto his trailer first, then use his much smaller ramps to transfer the bus from his trailer onto mine.

One problem, we forgot his was a breakneck and had the kombi stuck in the middle for a while. :shock: :lol:

Luckily we jacked it up again and got the kombi transferred.

Loaded up and on my way home.

sean
Transmission
South Africa

Re: My 1972 Crossover Baywindow

Post by sean »

Oh, lets not forget Chris's bus. My trailer problems were easy compared to loading this thing. This bus had some serious wheel alignment issues. :shock:

It later that day was already gutted for spares :twisted:
freddiebooysen
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 1972

Post by freddiebooysen »

Sean congrats on your crossover bastard.

72 - Freddie Booysen
72 Bay - unnamed WIP
72 D/C - Blue abomination!
74 Beetle - BEE

sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

I have spent a little time on this bus. I just got it up and running last year. Ive installed a correct 1700 motor and gearbox for it.

The fuel tank needed replacement (I'll post pics of that later), due to having rust holes everywhere. Seemed like somebody decided to add water to the fuel tank many years ago.

I still need to build a wiring loom for the rear section of the bus too, seems it may have had an engine fire at one point and the loom was burnt in the process.

Otherwise it ran rather well on the trip home the otherday, but it will have to wait quite some time until its turn to be restored.