CEDGBS
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Aircooled
South Africa

Engine identification

Post by CEDGBS »

Hi There

Could any one identify the following engine number? SFHR048472
Can`t seem to find a match anywhere on the internet! All I know is that it`s a single port engine possibly a 1500. Can anyone help?

Merlin
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?:  Various

Post by Merlin »

The engine is a rebuild; that's not an OG engine number.

There was a post on this here very recently...somewhere...

Cheers, N.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, and oversteer, the rear.
Hp is how fast you hit the wall, and Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
sled wrote:well obviously the UK is wrong.
CEDGBS
Oil Leak
South Africa

Post by CEDGBS »

The engine was rebuilt, but that was way back in 1972! SF was stamped by the engine rebuilders, but still can`t find anything on HR048472. Very strange number!
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

The SF prefix stands for South Africa.

H cases were originally 1500 engines.

I have heard that the R stands for rebuild. Has your engine number been previously filed off and replaced with a new one, with the VW exchange logo? If so, that would tend to confirm R for rebuild.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
CEDGBS
Oil Leak
South Africa

Post by CEDGBS »

No logo to be seen near the number, doesn`t look like it`s been filed either.
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

I have got at least one SFHR case in my engine stash; I'll have a look see if they are original numbers or restamped.

I have my doubts about the R for rebuild story. I think it more likely refers to something like low-compression pistons or something like that, but that's just a wild guess.

VWSA has no records so we'll probably always be kept guessing with questions like this.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
CEDGBS
Oil Leak
South Africa

Post by CEDGBS »

VWSA has no records so we'll probably always be kept guessing with questions like this.
You`ve got that right, they don`t care bout the cars that made VW famous!!
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

CEDGBS wrote:
You`ve got that right, they don`t care bout the cars that made VW famous!!
Sad, but true.

There's a history prof called Professor Hans Heese, whose private hobby is the history of German companies in SA.

He once told me that he had been to Uitenhage to research VWSA. When he asked to see their archive he was taken to a storeroom full of boxes of papers; no classification or order, just a dumping zone.

Apparently he offered to sort the mess and classify it properly, at his own expense. VWSA refused the offer. Some time later when he asked for access to these papers again, he was told that they had been thrown away! :shock:

I cannot believe that a company can be so unconcerned about its own history and record keeping, especially when the German parent has a fairly complete archive.

I could also share some horror stories about VWSA's destruction of obsolete parts, but I can already feel my blood pressure rising so we'll save that for another time.

VWSA is only interested in selling new cars. You'll find that many parts for even five-year-old VWs are listed NLA.

If I were competing against the likes of newcomers like KIA, Proton, etc and I had a long and rich history of making cars that have made a huge contribution to SA culture, I would be making a big noise about my history, and doing everything I could to support enthusiasts to keep obsolete cars visible on the roads.

Both Ford and GM in the US either supply their own parts for obsolete models, or license aftermarket suppliers. Mercedes-Benz and Porsche also offer amazing (but expensive) support to restorers. Porsche is very keen that old Porsches are properly restored, and they still have records of the original specification (suspension etc specs were to customer order) of every car they have ever built. I can still buy every single part for my 40+ year old Massey Ferguson tractor.

Wake up VWSA!!! I'd rather buy a KIA or Hyundai than a new VW; the Koreans know how to build real People's Cars.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

CEDGBS
Oil Leak
South Africa

Post by CEDGBS »

The only thing VWSA wants is to make $$$$$. They are responsible for the launch of SEAT cars in South Africa. Combination between Audi and Volkswagen Designs. Not , in my opinion, a very nice looking car. Also very overpriced!
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

How much money would it cost to buy the Jigs and molds form VW and built Beetles to order like they do with GT40's, Cobra's and the like????? I think you could make a killing..... :mrgreen:
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

vader wrote:How much money would it cost to buy the Jigs and molds form VW and built Beetles to order like they do with GT40's, Cobra's and the like????? I think you could make a killing..... :mrgreen:
A looooong time ago I read a short article saying that VWSA had buried the tooling for Beetles in the grounds of the Uitenhage factory. I have never been able to confirm this.

I think the problem with building Beetles these days is that modern cars are designed to be easy to assemble. The Beetle bodyshell has something like 6,000 welds in it. Great for structural integrity but no good for quick assembly.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

Ruann007
Drip
What model do you have?: 1970's odd buggy
Facebook: Ruann Kotze

Re: Engine identification

Post by Ruann007 »

Good morning guys.

I'm struggling to identify my new project car's engine number from the lists.

Hope someone can help me shed some light on this engine.

The engine is : FRxxxxxO

Any help would be appreciated.
A car for the people, an affordable Volkswagen, would bring great joy to the masses and the problems of building such a car must be faced with courage.
Adolf Hitler
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

If you look carefully, you will see it starts with SFR, which says it was built in South Africa (SF) and that this is a replacement case (R). We'll need to know what other letters precede the number to know what's its original spec was.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

Ruann007
Drip
What model do you have?: 1970's odd buggy
Facebook: Ruann Kotze

Post by Ruann007 »

Hi Fig.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Hope this helps.

A car for the people, an affordable Volkswagen, would bring great joy to the masses and the problems of building such a car must be faced with courage.
Adolf Hitler
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

If I follow the logic of TheSamba.com, that would be 1961-65 1200cc 40HP. The engine in my 1963 1200 Beetle has a similar number configuration, without the R.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... etters.php