Setting 34 PICT-3

Ask and give advice here
forcecooled
Single Port
What model do you have?: 1970 1600 cc Beetle
South Africa

Re: Setting 34 PICT-3

Post by forcecooled »

There are a couple of places in that carb where the smallest bit of junk can cause huge idling and adjusting problems -

Give me a call and I will run through them with you
Bill 072 110 2643

chris2strauss
Drip
What model do you have?: 3 Beetles. 71,77,78

Post by chris2strauss »

Hi - I have read this (and other) threads on this site and while it is very informative, l did get a little confused.

I have a '71 Beetle with a TP motor - New Electronic Ignition with Coil, new Plugs and a New 34 PICT Carb (bought new from Midas).

I have a huge low end flat spot. When I advance the timing it gets better but then it PINGS like MAD.

When Cold, the flat spot is not there and it is smooth, but after about 200 meters of driving it hots up and the spluttering starts. This leads me to believe that my Jet sizes in the Carb are to small - as there is a over delivery of fuel because of the choke when the motor is cold and this compensates.

What are the recommended jet sizes at sea level ? is there anything else I am missing? the Carb is set at 2,5 turns anti-clockwise on the Idle and Mixture screws.
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

chris2strauss wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:18 am.....New Electronic Ignition with Coil, new Plugs and a New 34 PICT Carb (bought new from Midas).
From my limited knowledge, both these are(can be) responsible...is it a genuine Solex or Chinese knock-off?
You can never have enough Garages :-(
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

I've posted a PDF under the "Guides" section entitled "VW Carb, Distributor, Engine, Jets Listing" with the jet combinations for VW aircooled carbs. But before you suspect the jets, are you sure the timing, valve clearances, are correct? No vacuum leaks? Did you follow the right adjustment procedure for setting your carb? The 2.5 turns you mention is an initial setting. You run the engine till its warmed up and then tune the carb till you find the optimal settings.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

You will probably find your electronic ignition is the problem.

These are not set to the VW aircooled motor curve.

You will have more luck if your original distributor was converted to electronic with both the vacuum and centrifugal mechanisms still in place and working.

Have tried two systems and both gave me the same result, so I went back to the standard distributor and all works fine now.

With regard to the Midas Carb's, they normally work OK if the correct jets are in for your motor, but their shafts wear so fast then setting becomes impossible until you have new bushes turned to close the gap.

Good luck

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc