1969 LHD German Westfalia Kombi

Ask and give advice here
RikusVisser
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 1969 T2 Westfalia

1969 LHD German Westfalia Kombi

Post by RikusVisser »

Hi All

I am considering selling my beloved Westy...

After spending a lot of time and money on her and fulfilling my dream of owning a Westy the time has come where she might be enjoyed better by someone else. I am currently busy with another project which is taking up a lot of my time (and money...). Currently she is just standing in the garage under her blanket :( and not being driven.

Some of the things I did in the last year:

- Engine rebuilt professionally by Berg Motor Spares (1000 km ago). Not a cent spared on rebuild
- Clutch replaced
- New brakes
- Steering box replaced
- New tyres
- New battery
- Starter reconditioned
- Roadworthied 02/2016 (before all of the above was done!)

She is in great shape.

I thought it best to ask the ACVWSA members on what they think a fair price will be before I put her on GT and get nasty comments on the forum regarding my price :D . I have seen Westys on GT for R300k but then again, that is not what they are selling for and might be aimed at the UK market. I am NOT an urgent seller. If I do not get a fair price for her she stays exactly where she is right now. I really do not need the money for something else. I just think that she might be enjoyed and showcased better by someone else at the moment.

What do you guys think?

PS: When I told the wife about this she almost fell of the couch asking me am I REALLY sure I want to do this so yes, I am still not sure.... :cry:

fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: 1969 LHD German Westfalia Kombi

Post by fig »

Don't assume that just because a car is advertised at full market value that it's aimed at the export market. A 1971 Westfalia advertised on gumtree last year for R365k sold to a local for R350k. Price your bus for what you think it's worth. LHD fetches lower prices, and IIRC your bus has had a lot of work done on the body; was it all steel repairs or is there fibreglass and filler in there? This will massively discount the value.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

That is a good looking Westy Rikus.

As Fig said it should be priced at what YOU feel it's worth. That may be totally un-reasonable to prospective buyers, or it might sell on the first phonecall. It boils down to what it's worth TO YOU pal. The Westy is a little more sought-after by those in the know(Over the devon top for example), and from what I've seen lately the 200 K marker has been breached by busses in excellent condition. But as Fig points out, it IS a left hand drive, could be an issue.

If you're not an urgent seller, Put it up for what YOU think it's worth, and weather the comments and rubbish-talk you might get from the "flippers" and 2nd hand car salesmen out there. Somewhere, someone who really WANTS a Westy won't bat an eyelid and will buy it for the right money. Also use the Facebook Kombi and aircooled specific groups as well, but DON'T use the other generic "Classic Cars, or pre 80's cars for sale groups, I've seen people post busses in there and get seriously abused by the general public who don't realize what these things are worth.

Good luck, hope you do sell it for the right reasons.

regards

Alan
RikusVisser
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 1969 T2 Westfalia

Post by RikusVisser »

Thanks guys. Your comments and suggestions are highly valued.

The thought of my bus not in my garage gives me the creeps. I need to think this through carefully......
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

I don't think I'll sell my Devon top bus now. Its REALLY sorted right now, and considering all the work I've done on it, and we enjoy using it now, so no need to HAVE to sell it. They become members of the family after a while.

cheers

Alan