fan fitment on alternaror

Ask and give advice here
69 kombi
Drip
What model do you have?: 69 kombi

fan fitment on alternaror

Post by 69 kombi »

Hi guys, what is the spec /gap between the fan and the fan cover?(1600 engine) I also need the torque spec for the fan nut. This is for an alternator from a 73 kombi. I have a beetle engine in my 70 kombi which generator was not charging, now I want to fit the alternator from the 73 on to the beetle engine, once i have the correct torque spec and gap on the fan. TIA

FaanP
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 1971 beetle

Re: fan fitment on alternaror

Post by FaanP »

If I remember correctly you space it up to 2mm .... my advice - test it after you tightened the alternator, it does move sometime after tightening.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

I don't know the fan nut torque spec off hand, but it is a lot less than you'd expect for a 36mm nut. Overtightening it can damage the fan hub and also makes it impossible to loosen with the engine in place.

I'm also not sure of the clearance specs for the fan, but I usually just ensure it turns freely without snagging on the housing. It's a good idea to set it to spec for cooling efficiency. A 1973 fan should be the 35mm depth, while the 1969 fan is 33mm. I like to shoehorn the wider fan in for better cooling. Sometimes this requires careful bending of the fan housing.

Something else to keep in mind when you fit the alternator: a 69 bus had a longer generator than normal, so the mounting plate is inset to take up the extra length. Make sure you keep the 73 alternator's mounting plate, as the 69 mounting plate will put the pulley in the wrong position relative to the crank pulley and your bus will start eating fanbelts.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
69 kombi
Drip
What model do you have?: 69 kombi

Post by 69 kombi »

Thanks Fig, you were right the 73 fan(and 69 fan) measures 35mm and the old beetle fan measure 33mm. Can I just fit beetle fan to kombi alternator as I am using the beetle fan housing? You also mentioned you shoehorn the wider fan in place and bending the fan housing. Could you run me through the process please? Also can the bending also be done in place with the fan housing on the engine.(in the vehicle)? Or fit kombi alternator and fan housing to beetle engine? I am actually looking for the easiest to getting mobile. TIA.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

I'm assuming you're fitting a 35mm fan in a single port fanhousing. If you're using the twin port doghouse fanhousing (with the offset oil cooler) then no fitting issues. If you're squeezing a 35mm fan in a single port fanhousing then you may have to bend something. Just trial fit it and see if it turns without snagging. You may have to adjust the spacers to position it correctly. If that doesn't help, then gently bend the lip of the air inlet outwards to expand the space until the fan turns without touching anything.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford