NOT GIVING UP

Ask and give advice here
Vintage man
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: 1976 bay window

NOT GIVING UP

Post by Vintage man »

Ok it started when I bought a package deal and not knowing what it would cost and take to do a project like this.Not scared of the work but a LITTLE bit over what I expected to spend.

The advice I now need is one bus is a 76 excutive high light and the other rolling chassis is a low light.Body is awsome for it age minimal rust (low light)
The low light bus is my first choice but has no papers.The high light is already registered on my name and road worthy done before i started stripping.
Financailly it would save me big money to redo the low light as its a pannel van, no window and rubbers to be replaced.The high light body needs lots of metal work and has rust holes roof linning ect.

Question.
1/ use low light body but with high light registration,its to keep and enjoy for years to come.Bought out of passion.
2/Low light is actually what my son and i like and want.
3/Not to be a show piece but to be used.
4/What should I do ,use the low light but it will have a high light chassis number and be a 1976 registered.

Any advice, pro's and con's would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '76 BRAZILIA '78 BAY
Facebook: yes

Re: NOT GIVING UP

Post by Cyndi Kritzinger »

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT I'D DO.
RESTORE AND ENJOY THE BUS YOU LIKE. TRANSFER THE PLATES. WHO CARES WHAT YEAR THE DISC SAYS IT IS.
DON'T WASTE THE HI-LIGHT; THERE ARE GUYS LIKE ME WHO CAN ALWAYS USE IT.

A QUESTION THAT I HAVE TO ASK THOUGH......
HOW BAD CAN THE HI-LIGHT BE IF IT GOT THROUGH ROADWORTHY OR ALTERNATIVELY, HOW DID YOU GET IT THROUGH ROADWORTHY?

MARK
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

Vintage man wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:39 pm
Question.
1/ use low light body but with high light registration,its to keep and enjoy for years to come.Bought out of passion.

4/What should I do ,use the low light but it will have a high light chassis number and be a 1976 registered.

Any advice, pro's and con's would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
What you are proposing here is highly illegal and will most probably have your vehicle land up at a police impound. What do you intend doing with the VIN number that's also stamped into the body? This will make anybody else's life impossible to sort out the vehicle if you sell it one day.

Go to your local traffic department with your lowlight's VIN number and ask them for the status and how to register your vehicle. You may already be in possession of a stolen car if you haven't checked it.
Vintage man
Oil Pump

Post by Vintage man »

Hi Sean ,vin number checked and not on Natis system.I agree with you but maybe just disappointed now that the high light has been sanded down.Pics to follow.Is it worth trying to get the low light registered and the time,getting old want to drive.
Chardivw
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 78 kombi 2000l
Facebook: Snowater photography

Post by Chardivw »

I would Sell the lowlight to fund the late baywindow since its allready roadworthy.
Vintage man
Oil Pump

Post by Vintage man »

Vintage man
Oil Pump

Post by Vintage man »

Vintage man
Oil Pump

Post by Vintage man »

Vintage man
Oil Pump

Post by Vintage man »

Vintage man
Oil Pump

Post by Vintage man »

The very first pic is when i started stripping out the interior ,then you can see the interior covered.The low light yellow bus body really nice and once we started sanding the blue bus small holes.
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '76 BRAZILIA '78 BAY
Facebook: yes

Post by Cyndi Kritzinger »

SEAN IS 100% CORRECT. THERE IS OF COURSE ALWAYS A POSSIBILITY THAT THIS MAY HAPPEN BUT THE CHANCES ARE VERY SLIM.
THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF AIRCOOLED VEHICLES CURRENTLY ON OUR ROADS WITH OTHER VEHICLE'S NUMBERS, ENGINES, CHASSIS ETC....THIS IS HOW A LOT OF PEOPLE MANAGE TO KEEP THEM ON THE ROAD. I PERSONALLY KNOW OF ONE SCENARIO WHERE 3 BUSSES ARE RUNNING ON THE SAME REG.

OBVIOUSLY THE CHOICE IS YOURS. AS I MENTIONED EARLIER. SORT THE BUS YOU LIKE AND USE THE PAPERS YOU HAVE FOR IT. UNFORTUNATELY; OR IN THIS CASE, FORTUNATELY; MOST OF OUR TRAFFIC OFFICERS ARE TOO LAZY OR INCOMPETENT TO DO A PROPER CHECK.
I WAS PULLED OVER IN MY BUS 2 WEEKS AGO WITH A PHOTOCOPY LICENSE ON THE WINDSCREEN AND THE GUY DIDN'T EVEN PICK IT UP. I DO HAVE THE ORIGINAL BY THE WAY.

EITHER WAY, GOOD LUCK! BOTH NICE BUSSES. I HAVE THE EXECUTIVE LIKE YOURS AND ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.
brucet
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: '78 2.0 Executive

Post by brucet »

You have already done so much on the high light i would continue and finish that. You have two options with that as I see it. Do what I did to mine and know there are always surprises. Mine was a clean bus and neither the previous owner nor I knew of some of the major problems that cropped up. although depressing just deal with them - I, like Mark, am very happy with my bus even though im still dealing with surprises 6 months later :) . The other option is keep the patina look and drive it like that and make the low light your restoration bus.

I would however suggest that if you have children, definitely work on the highlight first and not the panel van.

PS. I also need to get roadworthy on my bus now. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who can help. Thank you.
Last edited by brucet on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

Although there are a number of corrupt and/or lazy officials around, I refuse to break the law in any way, which includes running multiple vehicles on one set of plates. My conscience wouldn't allow me. I don't know if things have changed recently, but not having papers should not prevent you from going through the process of getting the vehicle on your name. The only real show stopper would be if the vehicle was stolen, but that you can establish upfront from your traffic dept. It takes a bit of pain and suffering - affidavit that states how and in what condition you've acquired the vehicle, datadot, weight certificate, police clearance, road worthy - but it can be done.
brucet
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: '78 2.0 Executive

Post by brucet »

Agreed.

Oh and to confuse you some more and contradict what I said watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pBU_HCWbPc

:)
buggyfan
Long Block
What model do you have?: lwb beachbuggy
South Africa

Post by buggyfan »

brucet wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:36 am PS. I also need to get roadworthy on my bus now. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who can help. Thank you.
Pm sent
http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;