Ask and give advice here
Dash
Drip
What model do you have?: 1967 VW Pick Up Spli
Facebook: DashSingh

Vehicle Spec from Manufacturer Plate

Post by Dash »

Hi fellow Aircooled Fans
I'm new to the forum so excuse me if the topic has been covered already. I recently bought another vehicle and going to start the refurbishment. I would like to find out the original year of manufacture and colour and spec of the vehicle (interior & exterior). Is there anyone who can help decipher the information from the Manufacturer Plate for me?
The plate suggests a 1967 model but the registration doc says 1975. I think the plate is correct because its a split screen.
Look forward to your help/advice.

sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Re: Vehicle Spec from Manufacturer Plate

Post by sean »

Your VIN numbers confirms it is a 1975. You have a Fleetline. Splitwindow fleetlines were build in 1975.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Just to clarify, the 10-09/67 has nothing to do with the age of the bus.

As the records of VWAS where lost we still trying to work out the meaning of that number, but probability paint and interior.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

Welcome to the forum Dash :)

Please post some pics of your Kombi. Is it a bus, panel van or wide bed single cab? Check under the seats or behind the fuel cap flap, or behind the door cards, etc. for the original colour. There were'nt that many colour options for the Fleetline range - blue, green, orange, red, yellow, white. All the seats were basic brown vinyl, and the door cards were simply painted brown as well.

Search "Fleetline" under Merlin or fig's threads, they have covered the topic extensively
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

retrovan wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 am Just to clarify, the 10-09/67 has nothing to do with the age of the bus.
I can't see the pics of your VIN plate, but Herman is correct that the quoted numbers have nothing to do with the age. VWSA VIN plates say nothing about the car's age beyond the year model signified in the VIN.

Re the quoted numbers, the meaning of 10 is unclear. 09 implies Bamboo paint (a kind of biscuit yellow) and brown interior panels and upholstery.

Very many owners of Fleetlines assume their cars are 1967s, because almost all of them had 67 light brown interiors. All Fleetlines were built for the 1975 model year, even though some of them say 1974 or 1976 on the registration documents.

Check out the recently discovered VWSA paint manuals posted here. They should assist a bit with further deciphering your VIN plate.

More info on Fleetlines here, althpough I still need to update this thread with the new paint and upholstery info.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford