Beetle 75 misfiring

Ask and give advice here
Stewardt
Drip
What model do you have?: Beetle

Beetle 75 misfiring

Post by Stewardt »

Hi Im new to ACVWSA. I recently bought a beetle 1975. Happy chappy bout the car, but have only one issue i can't address. The car starts perfectly first time. Then after switching it off it sounds like its missing fuel. I've googled and the best answer i could get is Vaporlock. Any advice pleeasseee

retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Re: Beetle 75 misfiring

Post by retrovan »

If this is after you have turned off the key, it is pre-ignition.

The VW carb has a electrical solenoid on the carb that prevents this, so maybe the wire is off or it is shot.

This is not dangerous but unsettling.

Just put it in gear and let out the clutch the motor will stop.

This is due to the heat, normally in your spark plug electrode or the carbon in the chamber that ignites the fuel as it comes in without the ignition firing.

You can change the spark plugs to NGK BP7HS or NGK BPR7HS or fix the shutoff solenoid in your carb.

If this does not stop it, then your engine is overheating, look at all your tins in place and all open holes closed off, and engine rubbers in place.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Stewardt
Drip
What model do you have?: Beetle

Re: Beetle 75 misfiring

Post by Stewardt »

When i switch the car off and try to start up again it does that. But when i leave it for a long period of time it starts perfectly again. So i think something happens when the engine is "hot". Because as soon as it cools down, or in the morning when i start up the first time, everything works perfectly.