Any idea why my car isn't performing right after using unleaded fuel?

Ask and give advice here
Suhail69Bug
Drip
What model do you have?: 1990
South Africa

Any idea why my car isn't performing right after using unleaded fuel?

Post by Suhail69Bug »

Hi all.

Really need some advise on my current issue. I have a 69 1500 single port bug. Only has an after market exhaust and an Accuspark ignition on a 009 dizzy. A while back I needed fuel and couldn't find lrp so I had to use unleaded. I ran it for abit and it ran horribly. Then I added some lead additive and it made no difference. Eventually I got tired and drained the fuel tank, lines and carb bowl (30pict 1) and ran lrp through a few times to "clean" it however the issue has not seemed to go away. The car refuses to idle even when hot. I have to constantly keep my right leg against the brake and acc when slowing down so slightly rev it as it switches off as soon as the engine loses rpm. Happened only when I used unleaded. Any idea what this issue could he ? I haven't adjusted timing or carb ever since but it still feels like I'm driving with unleaded fuel. Car runs beautiful. Just idle is the issue.

Thanks in advance

fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: Any idea why my car isn't performing right after using unleaded fuel?

Post by fig »

It's unlikely to have anything to do with the petrol. LRP is more likely to cause combustion issues than unleaded.

It sounds like the idle cut-off solenoid on your carb has failed. With ignition on, disconnect the solenoid (little barrel shaped thingy on the LHS [FIF] of your carb) and then touch the wire to the connector. You should hear it click. If it's dead, then either replace it or, if you can't find a new one, remove the faulty one and cut off the plunger and reinstall it.

The job of the solenoid is to block the idle air jet to prevent running on after shutdown. Your car will only be prone to run-on if the idle mixture is too rich.

If the solenoid is working, then maybe the idle jet got blocked, possibly from dirty fuel.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Re: Any idea why my car isn't performing right after using unleaded fuel?

Post by sean »

As fig mentioned, the unleaded fuel is not the issue. It will not cause any problems you have described. You have had something else coincidently go wrong when throwing in petrol.