73' beetle Jerking(as if it's misfiring) when cold

Ask and give advice here
Phillosoraptor
Drip
What model do you have?: 1973 beetle

73' beetle Jerking(as if it's misfiring) when cold

Post by Phillosoraptor »

Good day All,

So a couple of weeks back I took my 73' beetle to have its heat seal replaced. This obviously needed the engine to be taken out.

Since it came back I am not happy with the car as things it's doing now have NEVER been there, so I'd like some advice. First and foremost, when I inspected the job they had done I found a spark plug cable extremely loose on one of the spark plugs, so I reseated it firmly, after that when I started the car it made a compressed air being release type of noise, when I took it back that noise hasn't returned.

However when I got there I mentioned it to the guy, so he started it up and it still wasn't there. Anyways cut a long story short, from the point of that HEAVY reving, when we took it for a test ride, light foot on the throttle the car seemed jerky, and sounds like it was misfiring, he then opened it up(as in drove it hard) and that went away.

Yesterday, I started her up to take her out for a spin, the same thing happened, the same Jerky misfiring feeling under light throttle, I took it around the block, and put my foot down a little, there after it was running perfectly?

So my question is? Why is it doing all of this all of a sudden? And what do you think it could be?

Thanks in advance
Phill

retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Re: 73' beetle Jerking(as if it's misfiring) when cold

Post by retrovan »

It sounds like the plug that had the loose wire has fouled up, and now at low rev's does not fire right

Maybe change all you spark plugs and give it another go.

Also check if they replaced the gearbox to body earth strap, or a loose connection on your coil , and distributor wires

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Phillosoraptor
Drip

Post by Phillosoraptor »

The funny thing is it only does this at startup, once I give it some juice it's fine after that, even at the low revs. So strange, but I will give it a look.

Thanks Herman 👍🏻
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Not always easy to find these funny things that effect our cars.

On my beetle I had the strange thing that the engine died when going around a sharp corner.

other then that she ran perfect.....

The fault was very weird, in that the small wire between the points and the connection going out of the distributor, was crimped on the insulation, and made NO connection when going around a corner.

Now finding that at the side of the road, was frustrating without multi-meter or tools.

good luck

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

also check for vacuum leaks - it could be part of your problem
Phillosoraptor
Drip

Post by Phillosoraptor »

So an update.

I took the car over the weekend and, she wouldn't come out of the misfire, I thought something drastic is wrong....I took it in today to the people that have been servicing her for practically her entire life....

She indeed had a dead spark plug. Just as I suspected. I did mention that one of the leads for one of the plugs was loose AFTER coming from Vdubtech in primrose(I WILL NEVER LET THEM TOUCH THIS CAR EVER AGAIN!!). The guy also mentioned to me that some Cheap Chinese spark plugs were installed, now him being the only one who works on the car, he wouldn't have installed that in the first place....which leads me to believe adding all the little things I've been experiencing that they must have changed my spark plugs in order to gain more business. It's just a hunch but I believe this is the case.....from someone I trust and my grandfather trusted for YEARS....I'll go with what he said.

So yeah I have learned a valuable lesson! Don't let fools work on your car....and don't let others do the same.
Thanks for all the feedback!
Here's my bug BTW!

Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Post by Jdt1976 »

And what was their reaction when you brought it to their attention?
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Thanks for the feedback. Always good to see things "closed out"
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

HI Phillip

Thanks for your REply re the Engine seal we installed

I wanted to let this Post die and just with out any replies
but for a R800 Job you Slander My Company as if we Stole Thousands of Rand's from you and treated you very Unfair

It is very easy to Call People names etc with out Valid Reason

I will just do one or 2 Replies in between your Post that I am Quoting on

"I took it in today to the people that have been servicing her for practically her entire life"
Vdubtech have never Worked on this Bug ever before you brought it in for engine seal Installation

"I did mention that one of the leads for one of the plugs was loose AFTER coming from Vdubtech in primrose(I WILL NEVER LET THEM TOUCH THIS CAR EVER AGAIN!!)."

As you mentioned We did find a loose Plug lead and Actually sorted the Suppressor Clip out for you as your OLD ONE the clip was not clipping nicely on the Spark Plug (This Part all for Free)
We all Are Human and Any one can Make a Mistake or old Parts ware out which we did not have a problem to help you as you were a Client
of Vdubtech now

"The guy also mentioned to me that some Cheap Chinese spark plugs were installed, now him being the only one who works on the car, he wouldn't have installed that in the first place....which leads me to believe adding all the little things I've been experiencing that they must have changed my spark plugs in order to gain more business. It's just a hunch but I believe this is the case.....from someone I trust and my grandfather trusted for YEARS....I'll go with what he said."

Vdubtech is no Parts Manufacturer and can not be hald responsible for some one elses Parts
Yes there are lots of Chinese Parts out there
What I do not understand it you mention something the only one working on the Car but we have only installed the Engine seal
Why would we even Fiddle with the Spark plugs (BTW my Partner Actally Gave you a Sparkplug for Free if you remember)

"they must have changed my spark plugs in order to gain more business."
If we did this why would we give you a Sparkplug as Yes it could have been our Fault that your Plug fouled with the loose Plug
Lead but we did not hassle to help you with another Plug which any Workshop would or should have the Decency to have done

"So yeah I have learned a valuable lesson! Don't let fools work on your car....and don't let others do the same.
Thanks for all the feedback!"

All Workshops have there ups and Downs I have always tried to help where I can and have always been Honest with our Clients
We all have staff working for us and Quality of work are sometimes difficult to maintain to a High Standard

I Appoligise if we have Dishonest you in any way which I do not think We did
And you are Welcome to come past and even have a Chat to us regarding your Grievances

Pierre

Phillosoraptor wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:09 pm So an update.

I took the car over the weekend and, she wouldn't come out of the misfire, I thought something drastic is wrong....I took it in today to the people that have been servicing her for practically her entire life....

She indeed had a dead spark plug. Just as I suspected. I did mention that one of the leads for one of the plugs was loose AFTER coming from Vdubtech in primrose(I WILL NEVER LET THEM TOUCH THIS CAR EVER AGAIN!!). The guy also mentioned to me that some Cheap Chinese spark plugs were installed, now him being the only one who works on the car, he wouldn't have installed that in the first place....which leads me to believe adding all the little things I've been experiencing that they must have changed my spark plugs in order to gain more business. It's just a hunch but I believe this is the case.....from someone I trust and my grandfather trusted for YEARS....I'll go with what he said.

So yeah I have learned a valuable lesson! Don't let fools work on your car....and don't let others do the same.
Thanks for all the feedback!
Here's my bug BTW!

Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site