2000l AirCool engine in a stock 1968 bay

Ask and give advice here
RobMunro
Drip
What model do you have?: Bus

2000l AirCool engine in a stock 1968 bay

Post by RobMunro »

Hi

Is it possible to put the larger engine into the early Bay engine compartments?

Thanks
R

fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: 2000l AirCool engine in a stock 1968 bay

Post by fig »

Yes, but not without extensive modification.

There are a number of options:
1. Have your type4 engine built as an upright fan conversion so it fits in the same space as a type1 engine.
2. Simply hack the bodywork in the engine compartment to allow the stock type4 engine in.
3. Cut the engine compartment bodywork from a 1972> engine compartment and have it welded in to the 1968 engine compartment.

Option 1 would be best in that you wouldn't have to modify the bus itself. The problem is finding someone who can do a proper upright fan conversion. Option 2 is the bush mechanic way of doing it, and you would then have to solve the problem of the engine-body seal. Option 3 would be the professional way to allow fitting a type4 engine.

You would also have to change the bellhousing and starter motor if fitting a 2.0l type4. 1700 and 1800 engines take the same starter as the 1600, but there may be issues with the flywheel clearance inside a 1600 bellhousing.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

As a standard installation, NO.

The flywheel does not fit into the bellhousing of the 1600 gearbox nor does the starter motor work with that flywheel. Your engine bay plates do not accommodate the tinware on the type 4 motor. Your rear engine carrier bar is also different. You will also not be able to install the rear valance due to the fan shroud also being in the way.

To make it work will involve hideous amounts of time and money and also butchering of the bus. You would have to be cutting your engine mounts off, hacking your rear valance, cutting the plates in the engine bay itself, grinding your bellhousing and make bastard brackets for starter motors to work.
RobMunro
Drip
What model do you have?: Bus

Post by RobMunro »

Thanks guys... so stick to a 1600 duel port ;) Do you know of any reputable engine refurb guys in the Cape?
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

The 1600 engine can be rebuilt quite nicely with a few changes which will pull your bus a lot better than the stock unit ever could.
How big you want to go depends on your budget.
Review my panel van link below in my signature for some pics of how I did mine.
My 1700cc conversion will cost a small fortune, the 2110cc conversion I am currently running will cost double that of the 1700cc.
That said, the 1600 can be built with the intention of pulling the bus and not a bug, also leading to an awesome driver.
Value for money would be the 2L T4 with an upright conversion.