2L FUEL PUMP ISSUE

Ask and give advice here
freddiebooysen
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 1972

Re: 2L FUEL PUMP ISSUE

Post by freddiebooysen »

Mark

Did you manage to get this sorted out and how ?

Want to check my fuel pump think it is a facet one that is in there which might be causing issues.

Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '76 BRAZILIA '78 BAY
Facebook: yes

Post by Cyndi Kritzinger »

HOWDY FREDDIE.

ON THIS ISSUE, I DON'T HAVE GOOD NEWS FOR YOU.
I AM STILL RUNNING MY ELECTRIC HUCO PUMP (WHICH ACCORDING TO THOSE IN THE KNOW IS STILL TOO HIGH A PRESSURE) AND DRINKING FUEL AT AN ALARMING RATE.
I DID IMPORT THE REPLACEMENT FUEL PUMP FROM THE STATES BUT AFTER FITTING IT GOT NO FUEL WHAT-SO-EVER. DUE TO THE FACT THAT I USE MY BUS REGULARLY AND HAVE BOOKINGS FOR MATRIS DANCES ETC.... I HAVEN'T WANTED TO MESS AROUND WITH ANYTHING TOO MUCH. PERHAPS IN THE LATTER PART OF THE YEAR I'LL START TRYING TO SEE WHY THE NEW PUMP ISN'T WORKING. COULD BE THE SPACER IS TOO HIGH OR THE SHAFT TOO SHORT. MAYBE THE CAM INSIDE THE ENGINE IS SO WORN IT JUST ISN'T FUNCTIONAL ANYMORE. I AM KEEN TO SORT IT OUT THOUGH AS MY FUEL COSTS ARE ASTRONOMICAL BUT I LOVE THE BUS TOO MUCH TO STOP DRIVING IT!

I KNOW THIS ISN'T REALLY HELPFUL RIGHT NOW BUT AS I MENTIONED, PERHAPS LATER THIS YEAR I WILL SPEND A BIT MORE TIME TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THE ISSUE IS.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUS. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU PULL INTO MY DRIVEWAY!
freddiebooysen
Crankshaft

Post by freddiebooysen »

Mine has the aftermarket facet pump

A proper fuel regulator seems to be the one to go for on my end

Will have to figure out how to test this and see what I can get my hands on.

But later the year is fine have lots and lots to do

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

I've got rotary electrical fuel pumps that work at the right pressure for our carbs. I use them on my modified engines with weber carbs and have installed one on a 411 with stock solex carbs and have sold a few to others in stock and modified applications. So far, around 8 years without any failures that I know of. No regulator needed.
Price is a bit steep at R1300 excl postage.
freddiebooysen
Crankshaft

Post by freddiebooysen »

Thanks Tony will keep it in mind when I get to the fuel pump. Wow yeah that is a bit steep but quality I suppose comes at a price.

sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

Hi Mark

I was busy with type 4 fuel pumps today on motors I was getting lined up for some project busses I will be finishing soon.
Just to give you some more advise.

The rod is 137mm long.
The inlet pipe is the one closest to the bellhousing.

If you have no fuel coming through, start by opening the brass bolt where the gauze filter is housed. If no fuel is coming out there, you probably have an issue with your cut off valve diaphragm (that's the small diaphragm housed on the top). This is to stop fuel passing through if the motor does not turn. Remove the 4 screws and top and turn the diaphragm upside down (the valve inside now faces the top) and replace spring and cover again. This will eliminate that issue. Fuel should flow naturally through now. (Remember, this is to test only, not permanent)

If you still dont have fuel coming through, take compressed air and blow quickly into inlet port. A one-way valve may be sticking.

Finally, just a crank alone on initial installation may not be sufficient to prime pump. Start the motor and rev up to help prime.
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor

THANKS FOR THAT ADVICE SEAN.
THE ACTUAL LENGTH OF THE PUSHROD SHOULD BE 139.8MM (NEW) AND I HAVE ORDERED ONE FROM GERMANY TO GIVE IT A TRY.
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Mark what is the length of the push rod you have.
You really need to check the amount of travel to determine if the lobe is not worn.I dont know what it should be ?
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor

HOWDY TERRY.
I'M NOT QUITE SURE RIGHT NOW BUT I DID MEASURE IT A WHILE BACK AND IT WAS SHORTER THAN THAT. I ALSO CANNOT FIND ANY INFO ON WHAT SIZE THE LOBE SHOULD BE. I DIDN'T SEE ANY OBVIOUS WEAR ON THE LOBE/S. IT TOOK QUITE A WHILE TO FIND OUT WHAT LENGHT THE PIN SHOULD BE BUT I'M GETTING IT FROM GERMANY, FINALLY!
I'M HOPING THAT THIS IS GOING TO SORT OUT MY PROBLEM AND THAT I CAN START GETTING SOME BETTER FUEL CONSUMPTION FIGURES.