Ask and give advice here
vdubs
Drip
What model do you have?: 1972
South Africa

Porsche gauges in Beetle

Post by vdubs »

Hi all,

I'm wanting to fit Porsche 924 gauges into my Beetle. I've seen this done by some of the members here & after extensive searching, I have a few technical questions I need help with regarding the combo gauge.

1) Fuel level sender unit, I've read you need the type 3 tube type which reads 10 - 75ohms, but this doesn't support the "low fuel" warning light on the gauge which I'm hoping to keep, Porsche is 3 - 70 ohms. The Porsche sender is also too long to fit the Beetle tank, 300mm as opposed to 170mm. Will the standard lever float level one work using a vibrator on the gauge, I can always fit a thermister to this for the low fuel light warning. A more extreme option was to take a standalone VDO fuel gauge with its sender unit & custom fit this by replacing the original fuel gauge inside the combo gauge. What other options are there?
2) I also want to convert the water temp gauge to a oil temp gauge, the standard Beetle sender which I want to fit in the oil relief plug reads 10 - 180 ohms, the Porsche gauge reads 10 - 300 ohm's. Which sender will give me the most accurate reading?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fourier
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '59 Ghia, '77 Beetle
South Africa

Re: Porsche gauges in Beetle

Post by fourier »

I had a VDO tube style fuel level sender made though Diesel Electric Parow. Just give them the tube length, and Ohm range you require. This was in 2013, so hope they still do it.

Don't know if they can incorporate the warning light contact though...

(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
vdubs
Drip
What model do you have?: 1972
South Africa

Re: Porsche gauges in Beetle

Post by vdubs »

Great thanks a lot Fourier, will give them a try.