72 beetle idle issues

Ask and give advice here
vestall
Drip
What model do you have?: 72

72 beetle idle issues

Post by vestall »

hi
I decided to clean my 72 beetle 1302 carb, bought the carb kit and everything, the cleaning went of without any problems, took alot of pics and videos, The problem i have now is that the beetle struggles to start and when it does the revs is very high but does out as soon as i take my foot of the accelerator , it almost as if there is no petrol going threw but after a few attempt i can see the carb is fludded, Its my first time fixing cars ......... pls help :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Re: 72 beetle idle issues

Post by 73type2 »

A good place to start is always to check that ignition timing is correct, valve clearances is set correctly, points set correctly, no vacuum leaks, etc. before fine tuning the carburettor. I was struggling for some time with hesitation on acceleration on my '71 1300 TP and suspected vacuum leaks at the manifold boots and the carb running too lean. I replaced my carb with another one and the problem persisted. I finally decided to go back to basics and locate TDC using a piston stopper tool, set the valve clearances to 0.006". I found that the stock marks on my crank pulley was out by several degrees. The car runs very well now and the hesitation is no more. This might not help you with your carb issue but first check that the above is in order.
vestall
Drip

Post by vestall »

Thanks for the advice, Il check it and then I will come back to you.
vestall
Drip

Post by vestall »

Hi every one,
Since my previous post I still have no luck, I asked around and got a few numbers of beetle "mechanics", needless to say im still stuck in the same place,72 beetle starts up, once i lift my food of the accelerator it dies out . im looking for a reputable place in the Jhb area where i can take my beetle to be fixed properly cause im genuinely tired of all these so called mechanics, no disrespect to the genuine ones.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

It sound as if you did not get the float and needle and seat right.

She starts with the throttle being full open because these is a lot of fuel coming into the engine, but dies the moment you cut the air and your fuel is still pouring in.

See if you float shuts off the needle and seat, then check the level of fuel in the bowl when you open it. Should be between 12 and 14 mm from the top edge when you remove the top of carb.

Good luck.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc