Beetle splutters and dies when warmed up

Ask and give advice here
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1976 T2 Baywindow
South Africa

Beetle splutters and dies when warmed up

Post by Jack Nel »

I’m so GATVOL of trying to identify problems on my Beetle!!!! Feels like i’m taking one step forward and two steps back! Anyway, now that I’ve got that off my chest....
Beetle starts fine, idles and revs perfectly, runs perfectly on short distances around town, and runs perfectly for the first 10km or so on the open road and then starts with a little jerk, and then two little jerks and then more bigger jerks and eventually huffs and puffs and small backfires untill it dies.... Immediately after it died it won’t start again, but if I wait about 2 minutes it will start again and run fine for a short while and then the jerking starts again and it’s a battle to keep it running untill I get home. If it stands for a while at home it will start easily and run perfectly for a few km again and then all the problems start again.
It seems to me that something starts giving problems the warmer it gets, as soon as it’s cooled down a bit it works fine again for a while.

Any advice please....I’m at the point where I feel like replacing everything I possibly can and hope for the best.

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Beetle splutters and dies when warmed up

Post by Tony Z »

One of two things I'd check first.

1) did you tighten the fuel pump flange recently? If this is too tight, it can bind on the pushrod when warm causing the pushrod to stop moving, this stops the pump from pumping and your carb runs out of fuel. When all cools, the pushrod drops back out and works again for a short while until the process repeats.

2) I think the problem is your coil. When this happens next, get out and hold your coil. It should be warm. If you cannot hold it for a minute without it burning your hand then my money is on a faulty coil. Get a proper coil from Bosch and you should be good again.
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

To check whether you've run out of fuel you could open the carb top immediately after the car has stalled to see whether the float bowl is empty.
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

Tony Z wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:37 pm One of two things I'd check first.

1) did you tighten the fuel pump flange recently? If this is too tight, it can bind on the pushrod when warm causing the pushrod to stop moving, this stops the pump from pumping and your carb runs out of fuel. When all cools, the pushrod drops back out and works again for a short while until the process repeats.

2) I think the problem is your coil. When this happens next, get out and hold your coil. It should be warm. If you cannot hold it for a minute without it burning your hand then my money is on a faulty coil. Get a proper coil from Bosch and you should be good again.
Coil definity gets so hot that I can’t hold it even for a few seconds, but it’s allways been like that as far as I know....
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Does it not have a drain plug on the bowl?
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

Does anyone have the correct Bosch blue coil part number or model number and where can they be bought cheapest please?
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Jack Nel wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:27 pm
Tony Z wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:37 pm One of two things I'd check first.

Coil definity gets so hot that I can’t hold it even for a few seconds, but it’s allways been like that as far as I know....
my money says its definitely faulty
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

You have dirt in your tank and your fuel line. and the fuel line is only letting a small amount of fuel to the carb at a time

You may have to clear the whole fuel line back to the tank, after you removed the outlet and cleared the filter.

If you have no filter in the outlet, get one and put it in.

You would have to empty your tank wash it out and see if you have rust in the top section that comes loose when you put more fuel in that is was used to having in.

Test you fuel pump for dirt before putting it back.

Had to epoxy my tank for the same cause.

Good Luck

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

I agree with Tony, sounds like coil to me. That would be first on my list to replace.
slak
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Baja, Bay , Beetle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php

Post by slak »

Bosch 0 221 119 027 blue coil part number
Diesel Electric

Another thing to check is if U'r carburetor is not icing up , when it lets U down feel
if the carb is cold if there is ice on it that is the problem and the manifold heat is not conected
or blocked
U Only Live Once Right !!!
splitfan
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 56,71,75
South Africa

Post by splitfan »

Jack Nel wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:16 pm Does anyone have the correct Bosch blue coil part number or model number and where can they be bought cheapest please?
I don't Have Bosch coils in stock but have a correct low voltage replacement coils they sell for R250-00 incl VAT im based in Port Shepstone.
My biggest fear is that my wife sells my cars for what i told her they cost !!
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

retrovan wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 pm You have dirt in your tank and your fuel line. and the fuel line is only letting a small amount of fuel to the carb at a time

You may have to clear the whole fuel line back to the tank, after you removed the outlet and cleared the filter.

If you have no filter in the outlet, get one and put it in.

You would have to empty your tank wash it out and see if you have rust in the top section that comes loose when you put more fuel in that is was used to having in.

Test you fuel pump for dirt before putting it back.

Had to epoxy my tank for the same cause.

Good Luck

Herman
Thanks Herman, I recently cleaned out my tank and replaced fuel line and filter. I checked filter first when I started having problems, no dirt inside, also just blew the fuel lines out again for good measure and replaced the fuel filter anyway. I suspect the coil.
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

slak wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:45 am Bosch 0 221 119 027 blue coil part number
Diesel Electric

Another thing to check is if U'r carburetor is not icing up , when it lets U down feel
if the carb is cold if there is ice on it that is the problem and the manifold heat is not conected
or blocked
Thanks for part number, I will keep an eye on carburettor.
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

splitfan wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:19 am
Jack Nel wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:16 pm Does anyone have the correct Bosch blue coil part number or model number and where can they be bought cheapest please?
I don't Have Bosch coils in stock but have a correct low voltage replacement coils they sell for R250-00 incl VAT im based in Port Shepstone.
Thanks, I might get a cheapie from you just to test and order Bosch one in the meantime.
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

New Bosch coil, new plugs, points and condensor and problem persists....

Did spot this while double checking plug leads.