fan removal please help

Ask and give advice here
72BugMan
Drip
What model do you have?: 72 beetle

fan removal please help

Post by 72BugMan »

I've got my gen off my car but i need to remove the fan so i can put it in my alt that i have for the car but how the do i remove the fan from the back of the gen

adriaan
Drip
What model do you have?: 1976
South Africa

Re: fan removal please help

Post by adriaan »

There are three screws holding it in place one on each side, and one at the back. The one at the back is difficult to find, you'll have to go in from the driver side behind the fan housing, pass the fan opening where the housing gets wider at the bottom. Hope that explains it good enough.

Remember to remove the accelerator cable and tube. Then you should be able to get it out.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

OP mentioned that he got the gen off the car. I would then assume that he's got it on the bench, which would make the job easier. The biggest part of the job is to remove the big 36mm nut at the back of the fan. You need to remove the front pulley of the generator and hold the shaft with a spanner or clamp it in a vice while removing the 36mm nut at the back of the fan.
WolfgangT2b
Drip
What model do you have?: T2b-Camper

Post by WolfgangT2b »

Hi,

if the nut is too tight (rusted) and the torque gets way too high, don't block the pulley side. Better use an impact driver, probably bring the whole gen to a workshop just to loosen the nut.

Wolfgang
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

WolfgangT2b wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:20 pm Hi,

if the nut is too tight (rusted) and the torque gets way too high, don't block the pulley side. Better use an impact driver, probably bring the whole gen to a workshop just to loosen the nut.

Wolfgang
Yes, do not use a power bar or the like. You will end up breaking the shaft if you clamp it. A pneumatic impact gun is definitely the correct tool for the job. You can just hold the pulley on the other side with your hand.