Starter issues

Ask and give advice here
Jlou
Drip
What model do you have?: 1979 Beetle

Starter issues

Post by Jlou »

Hello, I need some help from you fine people please.

I recently fitted a new 12V Flywheel - got it from Volkspares, and a new starter bush - sourced from Goldwagen, and as far as I know, the starter is "new"

Before the changes, the starter grinded away half the teeth on the flywheel, hence me replacing the starter bush.

I am currently trying to get things back together, and just as a laugh yesterday I tried to crank the car to see how the starter sounds. ( no fuel / carb connected yet.)

It still sounds like the starter is slipping. I have run the starter over the flywheel, and it looks like the teeth match before I bolted everything together. Any advise before I shove out another ton of money on it?

Can it be the starter slipping? Wrong starter bush? Bad starter? electrical problem?

Thank you all.

Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '76 BRAZILIA '78 BAY
Facebook: yes

Re: Starter issues

Post by Cyndi Kritzinger »

HOWDY.

OF COURSE THERE COULD BE A NUMBER OF ISSUES OR A COMBINATION OF THEM.
I'M GUESSING THAT YOU'VE GOT THE INCORRECT STARTER IN THERE.
THERE ARE A COUPLE OF LENGTHS AND IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN EVEN A SLIGHT VARIANCE ON THE TEETH.

AND BY SLIPPING I ASSUME YOU MEAN THE TEETH AREN'T MESHING PROPERLY HENCE THE GRINDING.
IS THE GRINDING JUST HAPPENING AT THE FRONT END OF THE FLYWHEEL?

MARK
Jlou
Drip

Post by Jlou »

Hi Mar.

Thanks for the reply.

The previous flywheel shows an indication that the starter engaged only about 3/4 ways in - and you are correct in saying the teeth don't seem to be meshing properly.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the wrong starter if the wiring is any indication to go by. :( but it is what it is.

The starter looks similar to the 12v Bosch beetle starter I have googled, but I have been wrong before.
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

Hi

Can you specify the vehicle first? Exact year and engine specifications of what it should be and what is installed now?
Jlou
Drip

Post by Jlou »

Hi Sean

1979 Beetle 1500 SP - As far as I know still stock standard, I say that because it's my first Aircooled and not really clued up with aftermarket parts in this market. I know it's missing a few tins (working on it) and has a different exhaust (also to be sorted out)

Has alternator and still running points - like I said, everything looks standard except for the things mentioned.
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

Ok, that would have been 12v from new. All 12v beetle starter motors are the same.

It is however possible that it has a brand new starter, but they are absolute rubbish. Made in China and designed to last 1 week.

Find an original bosch and your problem will be solved.
Jlou
Drip

Post by Jlou »

Thanks Sean - Let the Hunt begin
Haans
Camshaft
What model do you have?: 1960 ghia
South Africa

Post by Haans »

Don't get it so well,?
Remove and spin starter on the bench,...see if solenoid kicks in.
Charge batt to full,.....and try again!

Just my bit

Haans
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Please note that there are two type of VW starters

One short shaft for the 1600 and one long shaft for the type 4 motor.

You could have a mixture of all kind of things there as over the years guys change and replace things so most Beetles are not standered anymore.

You need to work out the depth of the bush and the length of the shaft by removing the starter, then measure from the starter mounting surface to the bush, then from the starter surface to the edge of the flywheel teeth and then see if these measurements are the same as your starter.

Also did you test the new bush over the starter shaft to see if it is the right one ??

Did you bleed oil into the starter bush before inserting it.??

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Jlou
Drip

Post by Jlou »

Haans wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:35 am Don't get it so well,?
Remove and spin starter on the bench,...see if solenoid kicks in.
Charge batt to full,.....and try again!

Just my bit

Haans
Thanks Haans - Will give this a try with the solenoid - Bat Voltage was 12.4 if I remember correctly.
Jlou
Drip

Post by Jlou »

retrovan wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 am Please note that there are two type of VW starters

One short shaft for the 1600 and one long shaft for the type 4 motor.

You could have a mixture of all kind of things there as over the years guys change and replace things so most Beetles are not standered anymore.

You need to work out the depth of the bush and the length of the shaft by removing the starter, then measure from the starter mounting surface to the bush, then from the starter surface to the edge of the flywheel teeth and then see if these measurements are the same as your starter.

Also did you test the new bush over the starter shaft to see if it is the right one ??

Did you bleed oil into the starter bush before inserting it.??

Herman
Bush fits over the starter without much play, but goes over quite easily. I also oiled the bush liberally before I put it in. When I removed the starter the front of the shaft was wet with oil. Will take measurements over the weekend.
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

Jlou wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:32 am ... I also oiled the bush liberally before I put it in. ...
I assume you oiled the bush by filling it with oil and pressing between thumb and forefinger till oil seeps from the sides of the bush?
Jlou
Drip

Post by Jlou »

73type2 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:46 pm
Jlou wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:32 am ... I also oiled the bush liberally before I put it in. ...
I assume you oiled the bush by filling it with oil and pressing between thumb and forefinger till oil seeps from the sides of the bush?
Hi

I did yes, and just to be sure, dipped it in oil afterwards and pressed the sides again just in case. MAYBE it was a bit Backyard-ish I guess, but I wanted to be sure.

Next is testing the starter. If the problem still persists then I don't know :zhelp: . As said before - New Flywheel, New Starter bush... same stubborn old German.