Vehicle title

Ask and give advice here
Swsplitz
Drip
What model do you have?: Ghia

Vehicle title

Post by Swsplitz »

Hi guys, I have recently purchased a 1960 karmann ghia imported from South Africa to the uk
Where I am trying to register, I have all the paperwork and dating evidence as th the vehicles manufacturer,
However DVLA (our vehicle regeneration office) have rejected my application because the South African title states “built up 1-1-1960” they have asked me to contact South African authorities and find out what built up means ! So does anybody know or could point me in the right direction
Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
Shaun

fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: Vehicle title

Post by fig »

"Built-up" means the vehicle was deregistered at some stage and later reregistered. The usual practice is it will be noted as being the year model of the year it was reregistered. However, I think they will register it by its correct year model if you can provide evidence.

I don't think you have any chance of dealing with the SA licensing authorities other than face-to-face, and you're not likely to find any joy there anyway.

If all else fails, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the guy who handles all my car registrations. He has performed miracles in the past.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Swsplitz
Drip
What model do you have?: Ghia

Re: Vehicle title

Post by Swsplitz »

Hi sorry to post again but still struggling to get anywhere
I need a letter from an authority ie on headed paper explaining why the South African title for my ghia states built up
Can anyone point in right direction or pass on a contact
Thanks