Time for a rebuild?

Ask and give advice here
Autovilla
Drip
What model do you have?: VW Autovilla

Time for a rebuild?

Post by Autovilla »

My old 1963 type 1 is spluttering along on 3 cylinders!

Replaced all usual suspects. A new spark plug will fix it for a short while thereafter it goes dead again. I think its number 3 and 4 cylinders that go dead.

There is also a loud clapping sound when the engine is revved up high without load.

I have been advised that it can be a crack in that cylinder head?

Now.....what is the road forward. I need some advice on a reliable rebuilder in Johannesburg, or maybe a rebuilt swop out? It seems these guys are hard to get hold of on the www?!

Any questions or advice will be appreciated! I just want a reliable everyday car I can drive. It has given good service to me for more than 30 years!

fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: Time for a rebuild?

Post by fig »

It could be a burnt valve or even a loose cylinder head.

If the engine is not burning excessive oil and doesn't have excessive end float on the crank, then a rebuild is probably not indicated. Sounds like you could make do with rebuilding both the heads, unless the bottom end of the engine shows excessive wear.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Autovilla
Drip
What model do you have?: VW Autovilla

Re: Time for a rebuild?

Post by Autovilla »

I am hoping I can get away with only the heads, but will measure that endplay.It uses no oil and not smoking. Any recommendations on head rebuilders?