1982 1600 twinport

Ask and give advice here
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Re: 1982 1600 twinport

Post by 73type2 »

AlanH wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:22 pm AFAIK No 1 is front (facing motor from back) and No 2 is right back.
I think it's the other way around.

Licons
Drip
What model do you have?: 1982

Post by Licons »

Ricoffy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:10 am Hi Lee,

Welcome.

The firing order is 1,3, 4, 2.

I can help and explain, but I need to know what mechanical knowledge you have of vw aircooled motors.
This is the first air cooled motor i have had. So i am a very wet behind the ears novice with these, but i know a 1.8l 8v carb motor well of vw
AlanH
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: '70 Westy
Germany

Post by AlanH »

73type2 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:48 am
AlanH wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:22 pm AFAIK No 1 is front (facing motor from back) and No 2 is right back.
I think it's the other way around.

Hmm, that's what I was trying to say. :lol:
Glad you posted a picture. Thanks, makes it clear what I was trying to say as well. :hangloose:
Front and back obviously bad choice of words. :whip:
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
Exhaust to swap for Beetle exhaust
73type2
Pushrod
France

Post by 73type2 »

No worries. After years of playing with air-cooled engines I still double check cylinder numbers when setting valve clearances or checking firing order.
Ricoffy
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1600 off-road thing

Post by Ricoffy »

Licons wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:42 pm

Welcome.

I can help and explain, but I need to know what mechanical knowledge you have of vw aircooled motors.
This is the first air cooled motor i have had. So i am a very wet behind the ears novice with these, but i know a 1.8l 8v carb motor well of vw
No worries :hangloose:

I am by no means an expert on aircooled motors. Just browse a few of my threads to see the dumb shit I have done (and probably will do in future) :lol:
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad...
Licons
Drip
What model do you have?: 1982

Post by Licons »

Ricoffy wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:05 am
Licons wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:42 pm

Welcome.

No worries :hangloose:

I am by no means an expert on aircooled motors. Just browse a few of my threads to see the dumb shit I have done (and probably will do in future) :lol:
Ok so motor was running, slightly high idling speed. Drove okish. Very sluggish throttle response. Problem i am now facing is that it idles fine, but the moment ypu push the accelerator, she dies. I literaly have to pump the accelerator aggressively for her not to die, but she has no power and wants to die when in gear. I did notice what seems to be like a black soot on the carb and also on the carb intake. Any advice?
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

First thing I would check is look in the carb and give the accelerator a couple of squirts and make sure there is fuel spraying from the small pipe in the carb. Secondly I would go through the fuel line from front to back as some times people fit another in line fuel filter and as no one can see it they are never changed and are blocked and when under normal conditions they restrict the fuel under load.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

if you remove the air filter (with engine off) and pump the throttle (on the carb), do you see fuel spraying out of the carb into the manifold? If not, then you pump jet is blocked or not working. Without a pump jet, you cannot drive the car and it'll do what you are describing
73type2
Pushrod
France

Post by 73type2 »

Licons wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:45 pm I did notice what seems to be like a black soot on the carb and also on the carb intake. Any advice?
It sounds like you need to give your carb a good cleaning, replace gaskets, clean jets etc. Midas sells a Beetle carb kit for around R150. Make sure the accelerator pump (on the right side of the carb) is working properly and the mating surfaces are true and seal properly. A disassembly, cleaning and reassembly might take care of a few problems.
Ricoffy
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1600 off-road thing

Post by Ricoffy »

Licons wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Ok so motor was running, slightly high idling speed. Drove okish. Very sluggish throttle response. Problem i am now facing is that it idles fine, but the moment ypu push the accelerator, she dies. I literaly have to pump the accelerator aggressively for her not to die, but she has no power and wants to die when in gear. I did notice what seems to be like a black soot on the carb and also on the carb intake. Any advice?
Is the soot oily or dry? If its oily, you must have had a back-fire through the carb.

As stated above, have a look down the carb throat to see if the accelerator pump is doing its job. If you pull back on the go-faster cable, there should be a nice strong stream of fuel coming out of a faucet looking pipe. If it delivers a nice strong even squirt, make sure the squirt falls directly down the carb throat and not one of the walls.

If you need to clean the carb, or rebuild it, here is a lekker video which explains the process step by step:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzHCtYGTkQ

Make sure you have adjusted your carb properly. But to do this, you need to make sure your VW is properly tuned. See the tuning procedure:

http://www.vw-resource.com/tune_up.html

If you do the above, 99,999% of the time it will resolve your issue. The tune up procedure will take some time, but if you approach it methodically, you will not only learn the intricacies of your aircooled motor, but it will help in future to eliminate other causes.

My engine did the same as yours and after fiddling for a few hours (did not follow the tune-up procedure) my issue was as simple as an airleak in the intake.

May the aircooled gods be with you :hangloose:
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad...