VEHICLE IMPORT RECORDS

Ask and give advice here
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1976 T2 Baywindow
South Africa

VEHICLE IMPORT RECORDS

Post by Jack Nel »

Morning all, I am trying to get my Karmann- Ghia re registered in South Africa.
According to my research it was produced between August 1957 and July 1958 with vin number 1764821.

The vehicle basically had one owner from new, but was abandoned in roughly 1984 and as a result it was never introduced to the ENATIS system and all the original paperwork are lost.

The registration authorities asked me to provide confirmation/proof that the vehicle was imported into South Africa in 1958.....

Would it have been imported into South Africa in 1958 by Volkswagen South Africa, if so, would it be possible at all to get the aforementioned confirmation/proof from Volkswagen, and who can be contacted?

Thanks, any advice welcome

Merlin
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?:  Various

Re: VEHICLE IMPORT RECORDS

Post by Merlin »

Tell Licensing to fornicate right off.

DataDot, Police Clearance, maybe a weigh-in, Licensing...

Don't give them any more info' than what is required. It will confuse them and complicate your life.

No import records are required. There's no record of your car on the system.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, and oversteer, the rear.
Hp is how fast you hit the wall, and Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
sled wrote:well obviously the UK is wrong.
fourier
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '59 Ghia, '77 Beetle
South Africa

Post by fourier »

Merlin wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:10 pm Tell Licensing to fornicate right off.

Don't give them any more info' than what is required. It will confuse them and complicate your life.

The vehicle in question is a Left Hand Drive.

That is why the authorities are taking issue with it. They don't want more LHD vehicles on our roads. They won't introduce it to ENATIS, unless it was on the system before, and subsequently de-registered, or proof can be provided that it was in the country before ENATIS existed. There is a specific check during the police clearance process, to flag a LHD vehicle. Then the questions start...

That was what they told me when I went through the process with my LHD Ghia. Fortunately my car was on ENATIS previously.

Try to contact the previous owner. They may have old license disks to prove that the car was in the country before ENATIS.
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

fourier wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:35 pm
Merlin wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:10 pm Tell Licensing to fornicate right off.

The vehicle in question is a Left Hand Drive.

That is why the authorities are taking issue with it. They don't want more LHD vehicles on our roads. They won't introduce it to ENATIS, unless it was on the system before, and subsequently de-registered, or proof can be provided that it was in the country before ENATIS existed. There is a specific check during the police clearance process, to flag a LHD vehicle. Then the questions start...

That was what they told me when I went through the process with my LHD Ghia. Fortunately my car was on ENATIS previously.

Try to contact the previous owner. They may have old license disks to prove that the car was in the country before ENATIS.
You are 100% correct Fourier, they have these requirements because it is LHD. Original owner died, I've done all I could to try and get some old documents from family members, no luck.. I found some old insurance discs in the car, but no vin or engine number on it, only registration number.

Will old paper records from the 60's and 70's be kept somewhere, probably destroyed by now?
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

The registration authority told me yesterday that they will register it if I can supply a letter from a Volkswagen dealer confirming that the vehicle was imported into South Africa in 1958.

Does anyone have a connection in Volkswagen somewhere who would be willing to assist me?

Thanks
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Jack Nel wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:18 am The registration authority told me yesterday that they will register it if I can supply a letter from a Volkswagen dealer confirming that the vehicle was imported into South Africa in 1958.

Does anyone have a connection in Volkswagen somewhere who would be willing to assist me?

Thanks
If you contact the Lady at the Auto Pavilion, she is most helpful.

Sure she can get you the correct contact inside VWSA

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

retrovan wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:29 am
Jack Nel wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:18 am The registration authority told me yesterday that they will register it if I can supply a letter from a Volkswagen dealer confirming that the vehicle was imported into South Africa in 1958.

Thanks
If you contact the Lady at the Auto Pavilion, she is most helpful.

Sure she can get you the correct contact inside VWSA

Herman
Thanks Herman, this is helpfull :) :)