Painting inside heater channels

Ask and give advice here
Edmond
Valve
What model do you have?: 1973 Baja Bug

Painting inside heater channels

Post by Edmond »

I need to paint the inside of the donor heater channels I have as they have a bit of flaky rust.on the inside of the bottom plate. What paint or rust converter is the best, I can access the inside as I am cutting away the rusty running board fastening panel area to weld in new 2mm steel plate

73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Re: Painting inside heater channels

Post by 73type2 »

I don't have much faith in rust converters. I've seen it flake off after some time. I rather use a rust remover that contains phosphoric acid, which removes the rust and neutralizes the metal. I've had good results with Powafix Deoxidene De-Ruster.
fourier
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '59 Ghia, '77 Beetle
South Africa

Post by fourier »

73type2 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:40 pm I've had good results with Powafix Deoxidene De-Ruster.
I agree, Deoxidene works well to remove surface rust from metal. It also leaves the metal passivated, and will give you a bit of time to get it painted, before it starts rusting again. It is a bit of a process though... You need to soak the rusty area for a while, before the rust is removed. Warning! This stuff can't be too good for your health, so use in a well ventilated area. Don't forget to use chemical resistant gloves.
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Edmond
Valve
What model do you have?: 1973 Baja Bug

Post by Edmond »

Thanks will get some deoxidene from my local hardware this weekend and try it out