IGNITION

Ask and give advice here
Vintage man
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: 1976 bay window

IGNITION

Post by Vintage man »

In short.

Replaced my ignition with an electronic system.Lasted 300km of smooth driving.Pulled out my bus 1600 tp.It stalled no spark.Fitted point system started,
Reason I changed was the points dissy on revving the advance was fluctuating.
Questions

Is the electronic coil the same specs as a normal one.Only getting 4.87 ohms on secondary circuit on coil.
Also saw that inside the dissy there was oil at the bottom and leaking out of the holes of the base of the dissy.Cause?
Do you have to use a resistor on the positive side of the coil to reduce voltage.

Will a standard coil work on the electronic system ,just for testing and can you use a electronic coil on the points dissy.

Haans
Camshaft
What model do you have?: 1960 ghia
South Africa

Re: IGNITION

Post by Haans »

I used elctronic thingy in place of points ...with proper elctronic coil and. It seems to do the rightthing. Maybe I was just lucky up tonow
Heard that youcan't use itwith "normal" coil
Let's wait for the clever people to give guidance here

Haans
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

we need more details from both of you.
Just saying electronic doesnt mean much.

Haans, it sounds like you have been lucky... but give more details or pics
Haans
Camshaft
South Africa

Post by Haans »

Prof Tony,...too long ago,.....know that I got the coil from diesel electric based on a part number supplied with "
Electronic replacement for points thing from FFR in your territory,....probably towards the latter half of 2014.

Yes haans gets taken to shows and driven occasionally,.....not enough and it has not given any hassles yet.

If you need pic ,...i will get it for you ?

Haans
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

need pic, dont know hte ignition systems that FFR sells, I use G-Tech or import CB Perf or MSD systems
Haans
Camshaft
South Africa

Post by Haans »

Here's pic,......accuspark.......does it ring a bell?

Imagej

Had it in Boytjie's speedster as well,...and no issue up till the day it was traded on.

Haans
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

nice, I see you are using the good fuel hose - 20bar
same as I use.

As for the ignition. You are using what is technically an electronic points conversion. You do not actually have a electronic ignition, you have electronic points.
These systems are notoriously unreliable and I have given up on them.
Unless accuspark says otherwise, I would immediately swap to a points coil. A coil for an electronic ignition system is low impedance and allows for higher currents to pass through the points than there would be normally. Now instead of a heavy duty mechanical points setup, you have a heat sensitive electronic points kit installed which is even more sensitive to current flow than their mechanical counterparts.

I have used 3 different styles of those systems and they have all failed on me. The best lasting was a cheapy EMPI unit which failed after 20-30 thousand km, the worst didnt make it out of the garage.
For this reason I have started to stock and sell the G-Tech system which keeps the points and uses it as a trigger (timing sensor) and uses a switching system with a proper heat sink which is able to handle the load correctly, but still using a stock coil (made for points).
One of the things that I want to do is to use a points conversion with a system like G-Tech or MSD, where the points see little to no load at all, in theory this will keep the heat down and allow better timing control than the points ignition.

Me - I wouldnt drive with your ignition setup. But you seem to be doing well with it.
I'd highly advise that you keep a spare set of points and a condenser in your cubby hole as well as a spare stock points coil in your car somewhere for when your system fails.
Haans
Camshaft
South Africa

Post by Haans »

I have spare set of points & condensor,.....but no coil !,....will get
This is now going to sit in the back of mind !!!!!
Sounds to that heat is the enemy of this lot ?

Haans
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Heat will kill it, did mine on the way to Sani.

Lucky had a full Dizzy in spares bag, so easy fix.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
John Alves
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 58Ghia 68bug68buggy
South Africa

Post by John Alves »

Also had issues with Accuspark, died after 3000km, returned to points and condenser, all good now
No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

1958 1600 TP Karmann Ghia
1968 1600 TP Beamish buggy
1968 1500 SP Beetle
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Haans wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:49 am I have spare set of points & condensor,.....but no coil !,....will get
This is now going to sit in the back of mind !!!!!
Sounds to that heat is the enemy of this lot ?

Haans
yes, heat kills it, but not because of the heat - it gets hot because it cannot handle the load it is forced to live with, so it gets hot and then kills itself.
That is why I believe it will work as a trigger system but not as a points replacement.
I'll be testing that at some stage, so dont throw it away completely.
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

Haans, what is your "electronic ignition" coil?

I think quite often a Bosch blue coil is supplied with those kits from F4R, but blue coils work no problem on a points setup.

If you want a electronic ignition, just find a genuine VW hall effect / TCI ignition. For beetle motor, you use a system from 1.9 WBX and for type 4 2l, you use from 2L CU motors from T3's that came standard with them. You must use the proper TCI coil with this system.

This is the only system I see that gives a true advantage of a much stronger spark, steady timing mark and 100% reliability to last for decades.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Seans comments are perfectly correct, if you can find them.
There are companies that are now selling what they claim to be the exact same thing, all new, for under a grand, this includes coil, ignition TCI unit, wiring and new distributor - a full kit.
Stay away from these as they are too cheap. The whole kit costs R200 less than a new Bosch coil.
I've had the pleasure of binning a few of these cheap units and putting in a G-Tech with old VW dizzy to replace it
Vintage man
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: 1976 bay window

Post by Vintage man »

I bought the cheap full system for under a grand ,disy , module,coil and harness.
Fitted my old points system back all good but I must say the bus ran smoother with the cheap kit.With lock down I have not taking the bus out yet.
I think I must replace the coil as I'm only getting 7.8 ohms from the secondary circuit.
Will get a new coil for the points system and take it from there.The bus is starting now.
Would still like to know what component on the electronic system failed.Testing show me the coil failed but dont know how to test the module and the disy.
Haans
Camshaft
South Africa

Post by Haans »

You guys are getting very "electronic" on me here and I battle to keep up.

Here is what I understand: current accuspark system should have blown up already due to heat generated in the "electronic" points ,......not being able to cope with the heat generated due to the low resistance of the so called "electronic" coil ,....that is not matched to the "points(accuspark)" ??.......think I got this one??
Now:
Would the electronic points(accuspark) cope with the resistance of a "normal" coil ? ........

Then as per Sean's. idea,.........I have a distributor that came off a type 4 motor out of a bay of which no detail is known....probably a 17 or 1800,....it is "electronic" ,.....no points,.....and it requires some "module" ,..it was told to me you could get a golf mk1's from a local spares shop .....if I can recall ,..the size of about a cigarette box and half the thickness
Would this do the job ?,........advance curve ? ......and so on!

Vinnie,.....apologies for hijacking your issue,.......I believe us plebs can learn something here!

Talk to me,...Tony and Sean

Haans