Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Camber Compensator Suppliers

Post by Tony Z »

dont drill the forks. The last thing you want there is a stress riser that might lead to cracking.
Rather strap over them if you need to

Simmy
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: 1978 Beetle
South Africa

Post by Simmy »

True... But with a Kafer brace much of that load has been transferred to the shock towers.

Else, maybe a weld-on fixture...
fourier
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '59 Ghia, '77 Beetle
South Africa

Post by fourier »

Tony Z wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:35 pm dont drill the forks. The last thing you want there is a stress riser that might lead to cracking.
Rather strap over them if you need to
Agreed, don't drill the forks.

I like bolt-on upgrades, that can be removed when you change your mind at a later stage.

Consider making a bolt-on camber compensator bracket like EMPI did back in the day.

Here are some pics of my original EMPI bracket, to show how it was done back then...

(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Simmy
Oil Pump
South Africa

Post by Simmy »

Thanks for the additional detail. Taking another look at it now to see what's viable for my level of design and fabrication.

I note that the main part of the bracket seems to be about 1.5mm thick sheet and was probably press formed. I had the idea is was more intricate than that, and suggest I am probably over-speccing my own material thickness.
fourier
Oil Cooler
South Africa

Post by fourier »

I took a measurement, and the bracket is press formed from 3.5mm sheet metal.
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Bugger said: "The track racing guys modify and upgrade the existing Z bar".
Indeed.

Aftermarket "camber compensators" were mainly for early "pre z-bar" beetles.
Formula vee racers also used a Z-bar.

Back in the day, some were even modifying early beetles to accommodate Z-bars, with good results. Some used a stronger z-bar, but others just used spacers to have more effect.
Typical setup was to modify the Z-bar to constantly operate. Then lower car to sit on the z-bar, and be lower at the rear as before. Lowering the car also lowers the "swing point".
Important to also use stronger anti-roll bar in front. High tyre pressure at rear and lowish in front also critical.

Mercedes swing-axle cars used a centre spring setup which had a similar effect as VW's Z-bar. Like VW, they combined that with softer springing and the centre spring helped carry the load. Their system was a "low swing point setup". Keeping the swing point as low and close to the ground as possible.

Around 1961 VW went to great lengths lowering the swing point by re-positioning the drive train. (Lowered gearbox, different front gearbox mounting).
Keep in mind that VW used weaker spring settings in conjunction with the Z-bar. Axle was widened at the same time. Which on it's own helped a lot.

In the end, its just forces per side being added or subtracted.
Some older style aftermarket "camber compensator" worked by subtracting force from strong rear spring. Later Z-bar combines forces by adding to weaker rear springing and allow lower rear spring settings. Over the years people had huge arguments about which is best. All depends how each type was set up.

Around end of 356 production, Porsche did extensive testing with swing axle setups.
Their major finding was: At the rear use widest rim possible for given tyre width. Keep in mind this rim to tyre ratio was only for rear wheels.

Reason is trapezium shape of mounted tyre and effect of sideway forces when cornering.
This helps to keep tyre surface on the road. Theoretically as in 165 tyre on 6 inch rim rather than 205 tyre on 4.5 inch rim. (Last scenario causes dangerous handling when pushing cornering limits to the max). (Slightest sideways force moves tyre to run on it's edge).
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
Simmy
Oil Pump
South Africa

Post by Simmy »

Thanks for taking the time to write that up Dawie. I think you make a lot of good points - I have already shimmed the z-bar on my car as you and other suggest, though I dont have enough experience to say how much difference it makes. I also have the uprated anti-roll bar at the front. I also believe you are spot on with the tyres, and its something I want to address at some point when I go for something with a slightly lower profile... tyre flex is notable with skinny rims.

Although I dont dispute that the Z-bar can be modified, my reading on other forums suggests that the camber compensator (as in the leaf-spring type) makes a night-and-day difference. I also believe that they installed it as a means of compensating for softer torsion bars on the 356s, and then re-incorporated it in the beetles once it was proven there.

The one thing that I have noted with the z-bar is that it doesnt restrict jacking in the way a CC would do. Even with shims, which deal with the condition during cornering, they wont stop the axles from dropping under breaking or due to the aerodynamic lift one gets at high speed. A pre--loaded CC would do that, which is why I favour it. Plus, it seems to be easier to retrofit than the z-bar, as well as being more accessible as an upgrade.

Havent had much time to update the design, but I think I have something closer to the one Fourier shared. Also opted to use a proper pivot like the later EMPI units. So it becomes somewhat of a hybrid of the early and late designs.
fourier
Oil Cooler
South Africa

Post by fourier »

Simmy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:55 pm Also opted to use a proper pivot like the later EMPI units. So it becomes somewhat of a hybrid of the early and late designs.
Just a consideration when designing something similar to the later EMPI bracket... It sacrifices quite a bit of ground clearance. I've seen one hit the road, and get ripped out from under the car.
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Simmy
Oil Pump
South Africa

Post by Simmy »

My extended sump already protrudes, so this isn't really encroaching on anything that wasn't already an issue.
Simmy
Oil Pump
South Africa

Post by Simmy »

Evening folks.

I eventually managed to get my act together and fabricate this thing. I landed up copying the early EMPI bracket with a ladder frame, but then added a proper pivot. Landed up using a 60mm wide spring from a Ranger, and then laser cutting everything else from 4 and 5mm mild steel. Probably over-engineered, but hey...

Ground clearance is not affected with my extended sump, but would be on a stock bug.

Now just need to fit it.... Along with the midpoint which is in progress.

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Wow, very well done!
fourier
Oil Cooler
South Africa

Post by fourier »

You should sell those. Good job!
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Wentzel
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: T1 1977,76

Post by Wentzel »

Looks great! I would be interested if you ever make some extra.
Oxyboxer Project

Never Ending Beetle Project viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35724
Lolette Spyder Project http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=32175
AlanH
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: '70 Westy
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Hmm, seems my post did not get posted.
BUT
Well done on a very professional looking neat job. You can be proud.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
Exhaust to swap for Beetle exhaust
brianj
Single Port
What model do you have?: 67DC 66Fasty, 71West

Post by brianj »

Thanks for this thread. I thought the parts I got in my formula vee stash were some kind of seat belt fittings!