The case of the window lifter / mechanism...

Ask and give advice here
sdudum
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 356; Beetle
South Africa

The case of the window lifter / mechanism...

Post by sdudum »

Beetle tribe, please offer your help. I am in need of fitting the windows on this door in the picture. The challenge is that I need the guts and pieces that will make this possible. Yes, it is a one window setup and yes, I have been given :bn: about it. Is there any knowledgeable person who can walk me through what I need and where to get it. The mechanism I have in the door will apparently not work as it works off a single pivot point which is fine for a smaller window and not for a single piece larger window.

I love car parts, I love money...one of these takes money the other brings happiness...
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Re: The case of the window lifter / mechanism...

Post by retrovan »

This body has been chopped, not so ???

If so, you can cut your window deeper and with a flat parallel front side so the back slide and front slides are parallel.

If not you can still cut a deeper glass and do as above, but it will not retract full into the door then.

Then you fit a guide into the door in the hinge side that will keep the window from flopping and you can use your original window winder.

Will work.

Or you can get a bay window winder as it lifts center and will balance the glass.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
sdudum
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 356; Beetle
South Africa

Re: The case of the window lifter / mechanism...

Post by sdudum »

Thank you for the guidance, will look into the options you suggest. Will start with the Bay window option...
I love car parts, I love money...one of these takes money the other brings happiness...