Vin plate & Reg docs issue

Ask and give advice here
Mari
Drip
What model do you have?: 1969
South Africa

Vin plate & Reg docs issue

Post by Mari »

Hi everyone, my name is Mari. In 2017 I paid a company approx R180 000 to restore a 1969 VW lowlight pickup bus for me. Now 3 years (and thousands spent on investigators) later I finally have the bus but decided to sell it, as I just can't afford to convert it into a mobile coffee kombi, as originally planned.
Now the issue, we realized today only that the engine number differs from the number on the registration docs, the number on the vin plate is also different from the vin no on the registration docs. I also lost the vin plate (I only have a photo) as it was given to me loose and was not attached to the vehicle. The guy who did the "restoration" is ignoring me, he started working under a new name. I do have all correspondence between us, invoices, POP's and an affadavit from him, stating that he sold the vehicle to me.
Any advice on how I can go about sorting this mess out, as the buyer is still keen, provided the vin and paperwork is sorted out. :?: :oops:

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Vin plate & Reg docs issue

Post by Tony Z »

The engine number isnt an issue - this can easily be changed at police clearance.
The Vin being incorrect and you not having the papers for the car is a massive issue. There are one or two people on this forum who might be able to advise you properly, hopefully you get a good result
Mari
Drip
What model do you have?: 1969
South Africa

Post by Mari »

Thanks Tony
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Is the vin number on the photo the same as the number on the papers??

If not the same , you have a problem, and will have to take it up with the seller or make a case against him.

If they are the same, your 1st call is to go to the licensing dept. and find out if the number is clear.

Now it is important that you tell them 1st you are thinking of buying this car, and you got this info over the internet, so if its stolen they do not arrest you or take the car away.

If it is clear then you go to the motor theft branch of the SAPS with all your papers and photo's and they will give you the documents to have the car re-stamped with a SAPS clearance number which you then re register.

Good luck
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Look in the engine compartment right side for the stamped chassis number.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

You as the buyer really should have checked this before paying for it. A VIN plate being removed is against the law and will land up having the vehicle impounded. The staff at police clearance facilities stare at VIN plates all day long and will notice immediately if something has been tampered with.

The papers you have may very well be from a different vehicle and have nothing to do with your kombi.

Share some information on the vin numbers (both body and papers) and we can try give guidence but you may have to cut it up for parts.
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

On whose name are those registration docs? Yours or the guy you got the vehicle from?
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted: