Ask and give advice here
davetapson
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Type 1's '63 and '66
Facebook: www.facebook.com/davetapson

Re: How to build that perfect Bug

Post by davetapson »

Kwantum wrote:
calooker wrote:And one important thing, MONEY, make sure you have it before you start, doomed to fail if finances run dry.
QFT. Money, planning, and ability check. Many people think that bugs are a cool project car because they are cheap to get started on. Unfortunately, this low-cost mentality bleeds over from the purchase price into the cost of restoring. While bugs can be less expensive to restore compared to almost all other cars, it still costs a heap. For every one completed project, there are a couple dozen uncompleted one.

1) Look at the car and make a list of EVERYTHING. Nuts, bolts, rubber, etc. Every penny counts. Don't forget shipping and tax costs too.
2) If the car needs something done to it, and you are iffy on the particulars of doing said thing, add that too.
3) After you add up all the costs, add another 10%. This is the more accurate number
4) Once you figure out how much it will cost, figure out how long it will take you to get the money and the work done. A realistic number here is about 2-3 years.
5) After you add up all the time, multiply it times 2. This is how long it will probably take.

To think anything other than what I have listed will compromise some facet of your project. You'll either drive an unsafe car, an incomplete car, or a car you really aren't completely happy with.

In summation, your project will cost $15000 USD and take 5 years to complete. :drunks:
There is of course the issue, like with many things in life, that if you knew the real cost before you started, you'd never do what ever it is that you're planning to do...

My project: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=12543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a splitscreen panelvan - have a year or two to find one. If you know of one, please let me know.
Farhaad
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: memories

Post by Farhaad »

tru tru, dave.
its not always bout the money. u lucky if u hav some and use it wisely. but some owners love the bug wether or not. the reward comes in wen whatever u do gives u that warm feeling. :hangloose: does a mother love her child conditionaly? :roll:
hervw
Drip
What model do you have?: 1962

Post by hervw »

Hi Armand,
How are you?
To every one else- Just buy one of Armand's projects, and finish it. It is always a bargain. lol. Remember the Peach Notch Armand?
Cheers pal.
Hermann.
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Come on IMPI, tell us about the peach Notch :lol:
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
OD_1
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1976 1600S

Post by OD_1 »

Kwantum wrote:
calooker wrote:In summation, your project will cost $15000 USD and take 5 years to complete. :drunks:
:bn: thats a downer...
JamesD
Carburettor
What model do you have?: SP 1600

Post by JamesD »

OD_1, go look at Calookers beetle and you will see why he says that price, his is immaculate and absolutely perfect with every accessory and nice to have that you could ever imagine! A lot of the guys on this site are perfectionists in their own way. Truth be told, if you put in the time and effort and do everything yourself, you could have a very decent beetle for 30 grand. buy a beetle for 15 or so and pump 15 into it. and i dont mean with RICER bucket seats that cost several grand, a huge sound system for several grand and mags for several grand. new carpets, seat recovering, good clean, maybe king and link pins and good buff and polish and fix any thing thats broken and ta da, decent beetle...
From fastest to slowest:

Birkin race car, not much is standard
Lotus Elise 111R, almost everything is standard
'75 SP 1600 with a few mods
B8 A4 Avant tdi, towing made easy
OD_1
Oil Seal

Post by OD_1 »

I hear you...

I wont loose my buzz that easy... I've been wanting a beetle for a long time, things are just now begining to come together...

Spending R15,000 on a beatle is exactly what i'm planning on doing... Any things I should look out for when purchasing a beetle for the first time?
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

R 15K should get you a pretty fine Bug if you buy privately and is willing to shop around a bit. Look at the ads in papers and Junk Mail/Gumtree, but also go on word of mouth. Spread the word 'I am thinking of buying a Beetle' at work, and in your social circles - you might be surprised that can pop out! If you have connections in the 'platteland' - even better!

I'd say the following things are important when looking at a 2nd hand Beetle, in more or less this sequence:

1. Paperwork, documentation - is the car legally on the road, are the license feeds paid up, is the seller the legal owner?

2. Engine - how does it run? Is it clean? (Usually and indication of a well-maintained car, unless it has been steam cleaned shortly before your visit - look for puddles of water at strange places!) Crank play? Smoke when starting, running? Does the oil light go out after starting, or flashes when idling?

3. Brakes - does the car keep a straight line when braking? Do you need to 'pump' the brake pedal before anything happens? Does the rear brakes bind when pulling the handbrake lever? Is the brake fluid clear, and at the right level? Are the rubber brake hoses in a good condition?

4. Suspension - are the shocks worn, does the car drive in a straight line? Are the king/link pins OK? Are the wheel bearings OK? (Take the wheels at the two and seven o'clock position, and wiggle them - look for excessive play). Is the steering box OK? Do you need to turn the steering wheel a few degrees before the front wheels respond?

5. Gearbox - do the gears shift easily? Does the car stay in gear when cruising. Does the gearbox make funny noises when pressing the clutch pedal.

6. Bodywork - is the car the original colour? Are there any accident repairs? Are the door, bonnet and engine lid gaps even? Door sills, do the doors close easily, or 'fall' down when opened? Any rust on the chassis (normally starts under the battery).

7. Electrics - is the battery in a good condition (clean, water level correct)? Do all the electric features work - headlights, brake lights, indicator lights, horn etc?

8. Rubbers - condition of door and window rubbers?

9. Interior - upholstery/carpets - condition? Any sign of water damage (leakage)? Seats good, or 'saggy'?

Take the car for a drive, and trust your gut feeling! 8)
OD_1
Oil Seal

Post by OD_1 »

:flash: :flash: :flash:

Brilliant! Excellent! Perfect!

Super impressive response! I think i'm gonna print that and take it with me everytime a check out a bug! :mrgreen:

Thanks dude! :hangloose:
Guardian
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: '77 1600 S

Post by Guardian »

Wow Pine, nice tips above... :hangloose:

Can I take you along with me this weekend to check out a 1600 SP for sale in PTA? :D

Either that or I memorise the points you listed and try to check them out...but I'm scared since I'm pretty obsessive and pedantic when it comes to funny engine noises, rattles, squeaks and play of certain parts...how much is too much play in a 30 yr old car? :evil:

This site has really been a help so far. Keep up the good work guys.

p.s. Car I'm goin to see is an orange one advertised on JunkMail for R18k, which is for sale by a guy named Henry (from Jennings Street - Daspoort) - hoping my GPS leads me to him nicely cos me and PTA don't get on too nicely...I get lost in it very easily :oops: If any of you know this car, or anything about it which I should know about please gim'me a shout.
hentysnr
Drip
What model do you have?: 73 & 74 Beetles

Post by hentysnr »

Hi Guys
JA! my 5cents worth on re-building planning, planning then budget, budget,budget and budget. No point in wasting your time putting something together that is not safe and even less if its not reliable whats the point of getting stuck with the moegoes on the road today you will get a lift to get help and return to find an oilstain and a used condom where you left your car. I am two weeks away from getting my Chev Corvair on the road after 11 years and some R30,000.00 paid R5,000.00. in 2000. But I have a car that is 100% in all aspects, except the paintwork. Took a bit of a hammering during storage whilst getting divorced. Een van daai dinge $%#^ happens. My next project is on the board, I recently swapped a boat for a beetle, now it's taken a hammering, but I love orphaned cars. So I have been spending hours on this site looking at comments and posts. Must admit I am a sucker for performance and have spent alot of time following the high performance motor build by Tony Z.
I love to see 2l multivalves screamers get smaller in my rear viewmirror. I am not looking for a dice just love outrunning those wanna bee's. Not on straight lets see what you can do in the bends. Love the stock unassuming look but don't ruffle my feathers the mean streak in me, I suppose. Any comments, love to hear them.
AGAIN! A BLODDY GREAT FORUM!
Thanks guys
62vwbeetle
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 62,66,69

Post by 62vwbeetle »

Yip, and once it's done, more mods to get her going well, so add another ten percent on top of that!
69 Baja, 67 cal look, 62 sleeper, 59 ghia cab , 66 Ghia 69 912,single cab split