Post by vuyo »

60s look 74 beetle
GavinHuart
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '62, '63 & '75
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=710891856

Re: Beetle-stolen-in-Melville

Post by GavinHuart »

This is quite a wake-up call! I'm always in Melville primarily over the weekends and it's reached such a state there that even the restaurant owners/waiters warn me as I park to keep an eye on my car as it's a hot-spot for veedub thievery. Be warned!
'62 Bug, '57 Bug, '63 Panel Van & '75 Fleetline.. (O\ | /O) & |o\*/o|
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

That was a page 2 story in The Star a couple of weeks back.

Melville has always been a car theft hotspot, and now ACVWs are also being targeted. I had an incident a month or so ago when I parked Daisy (67 DC) in Melville for a few minutes while I went into a shop. When I came out, there was a car (Polo???) parked behind Daisy with three scaly looking individuals inside who were obviously eyeing Daisy. As soon as they saw I was walking towards Daisy they drove off in a hurry. I'm pretty sure I interrupted their intention to steal her.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
GavinHuart
Pushrod

Post by GavinHuart »

Wow! Lucky thing you weren't kept longer at the shop you were in. I try and park within sight from where I intend eating or having a pint. It really does defeat the object of relaxing with a drink when you're constantly checking whether your worst nightmare has happened. So sad. Anyone would question why we go to places like that in obvious targets but I enjoy Melville and more so going there in the old car. My only, rather daft, consolation is knowing my car is insured, over insured actually - stupid mindset but I'd never drive it anywhere if I didn't have some sort of safety net in place. It would end up gathering dust and being very unhappy otherwise.
MINCE
Transmission
What model do you have?: Without Vehicle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pereira.artur?ref=profile

Post by MINCE »

hmmm. If it is a hot spot for VW thievery, then why take you car there? Unless it is the only thing you have to drive...
"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion." Jack Kerouac
kaseman
Drip
What model do you have?: 69 Beetle, 75 Kombi
Facebook: Tsheliso Makase

Post by kaseman »

Eish, These guys want us to buy trackers, alarms and steering locks. I believe that it might be a car collector from Mozambique
Bambhatha Namhlanje.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

MINCE wrote:hmmm. If it is a hot spot for VW thievery, then why take you car there? Unless it is the only thing you have to drive...
It's all relative. We live in a country of thieves. Cars are stolen everywhere every day. I must say I never saw Daisy as a theft target, what with all the rust and all. I also interrrupted two guys about to steal my Mercedes outside my house a few months back. I'm a lot more careful now.

But if we're going to be paranoid about our cars being stolen then we might as well lock them up and never drive them. IMO that defeats the whole object of having them.

Get some theft deterrents and enjoy your cars. If you're going to be paranoid about your car being stolen you just make it more likely to happen.

Whenever I eat at a restaurant I like to sit where I can see my car, partly to check that it's OK, but mostly because I just love admiring my buses! :hangloose:

"That which you fear the most will meet you half way." -- Pearl Jam
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

Some years ago I had a fastback parked ouside my house for about a month before I stripped it, some idiot did try and help himself, f#Ck up the steering column to break the steering lock.
Unfortunately for him he was not able to start it, Fukcing idot, I had a exellent anti theft device .......

:lol: wait for it...... :lol:

it had no engine. :shock: :jerkoff:

It was a piece of shit, but he still tried, anything and everything is game to them. :finger4u:
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

fig wrote:
MINCE wrote:hmmm. If it is a hot spot for VW thievery, then why take you car there? Unless it is the only thing you have to drive...
It's all relative. We live in a country of thieves. Cars are stolen everywhere every day. I must say I never saw Daisy as a theft target, what with all the rust and all. I also interrrupted two guys about to steal my Mercedes outside my house a few months back. I'm a lot more careful now.

But if we're going to be paranoid about our cars being stolen then we might as well lock them up and never drive them. IMO that defeats the whole object of having them.

Get some theft deterrents and enjoy your cars. If you're going to be paranoid about your car being stolen you just make it more likely to happen.

Whenever I eat at a restaurant I like to sit where I can see my car, partly to check that it's OK, but mostly because I just love admiring my buses! :hangloose:

"That which you fear the most will meet you half way." -- Pearl Jam

i was just asking/ you guys who HAVE vw's can be all safe and shit and take you car out and have it insured and if it gets stolen you are covered. but it is different for me. If i ever get my oval, it will be the car I always wanted (after i am finished tweaking and customising it to my taste obviously) and if that goes, it is irreplacable. Even if i insured it for buttloads. it won't be the same

if i do get it, i ain't moving to Jo'steal-my-car-please"burg
"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion." Jack Kerouac
BUGGOFF
Pushrod
What model do you have?: Dc,Eagle,BugeyeBaja

Post by BUGGOFF »

Cars get stolen everywhere, not just in jhb. Whats the point in getting your dream car and to let it sit and gather dust. Rather then just get a photo of it and admire it. Drive your car and enjoy it. And keep an eye on it.
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

yeah of course, drive it, a lot and everywhere, but I am not gonna park it in an area for a period of time where i know they steel those kinds of cars there. that is all i am sayin
GavinHuart
Pushrod

Post by GavinHuart »

Agreed, to a point. I can't help but regale a factual story a work colleague told me a while back; Husband and wife living in SA, happily married with two little children -> they fell victim to the average crime most of us have been exposed to or know of people who have: car theft, house break-in, hi-jacking etc. They move to the UK, Scotland to be precise, to get away from it all. Month or so into settling down, she get's murdered in her home by some psycho killer...

I've been going to Melville since School days and touch wood, nothing stolen. Knowing my luck it will more than likely be stolen from our secure parking lot here in Sandton. :roll:
MINCE
Transmission

Post by MINCE »

Murphy's Law. What a bitch