Theft Prevention

Report stolen cars here
Drip
What model do you have?: 1963 1200
South Africa

Theft Prevention

Post by 1963 »

Am I naive or just Capetonian? I've been happily sitting here thinking, "Beetles don't get stolen, they're too old", and then I found this thread, dammit. My Ma drives the '63 and the '72 all round Joburg's Northern suburbs with no gorilla lock, no alarm, and no theft protection of any other kind. What are most of you guys using in Gangster's Paradise?

fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: Theft Prevention

Post by fig »

I prefer two methods (not saying I have them on my cars!):

1. A simple, hidden ignition cut-off switch that you can fit yourself.
2. A solenoid cut-off on the fuel line at the base of the fuel tank. (This doubles as fire security)

In general, if someone has targeted your car, they'll do whatever it takes to get it. The fuel cut-off allows them to take the car, but it will run out of fuel as soon as the carb bowl drains, which will stop the car, hopefully somewhere that will attract attention, such as in an intersection, and make the thieves abandon it.

Visible security such as steering and gear locks is also good.

Generally, I don't like leaving my car unattended in parking lots, etc, and I try to only park in secure areas or where I can see it.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Hloni
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: It was a '75.

Post by Hloni »

fig wrote:I prefer two methods (not saying I have them on my cars!):

1. A simple, hidden ignition cut-off switch that you can fit yourself.
2. A solenoid cut-off on the fuel line at the base of the fuel tank. (This doubles as fire security) would this be activated by a remote?

Visible security such as steering and gear locks is also good.

Generally, I don't like leaving my car unattended in parking lots, etc, and I try to only park in secure areas or where I can see it.
"Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this" - Kerri Martin
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

Fuel cut-off could be remote operated, but simpler and more reliable would be a hidden switch.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Hloni
Exhaust Pipe

Post by Hloni »

fig wrote:2. A solenoid cut-off on the fuel line at the base of the fuel tank. (This doubles as fire security)
I just drove my bug from the office home, and I couldn't get my head around this. How would one wire a solenoid so that in an impact it turns off? I get what you said in your response of a switch, however I still cannot get my head to how would it be wired so that when the engine stalls or there is an impact that it cuts off.
I hope I am not asking you to compromise your security :wink:
"Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this" - Kerri Martin
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

Hahaha, nothing so complicated. It's fire security because, on both Beetles and split buses, there is a gravity feed of fuel to the engine because the base of the tank is higher than the fuel pump. I have had the horrifying experience (in my 63 Dormobile) of the bus catching fire and fresh fuel gushing all over hot metal and reigniting (twice!) after putting the fire out. With a fuel cut-off, as soon as you notice an engine fire, you cut off the fuel supply before fighting the fire.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

Hloni
Exhaust Pipe

Post by Hloni »

fig wrote:... With a fuel cut-off, as soon as you notice an engine fire, you cut off the fuel supply before fighting the fire.
:drunks:

Pics of what I might be looking for from my local Midas?
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

I don't have pics. Midas may have, but you'll definitely find one at a car sound and security shop.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

VW-rules
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: '61 & '70 Buses
Belgium

Post by VW-rules »

Hloni wrote: I get what you said in your response of a switch, however I still cannot get my head to how would it be wired so that when the engine stalls or there is an impact that it cuts off.
All Land Rovers have an impact cut off switch in the engine compartment. It's nice and easy to reset too and you only need to have it pointed out to you once. You'll never forget it and it will become the first thing you check if it cuts out on you again.
If a married man speaks in the forest and his wife is not there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Drip
What model do you have?: 1963 1200
South Africa

Post by 1963 »

Thanks for the input fig, and others. Hmmm, I think for now I'll stick with the stand-by of a gorilla lock - mainly 'cos it's cheap, but also because we're dealing with an 84-year old woman. (Right now, the biggest security is that the '63 can't get out of the garage: the ol' chap next door in the retirement village didn't plug the garage door motor in again after he'd helped Ma recharge the battery ... bwahahaha!)
swiggs
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 1969 Beetle 1641cc

Post by swiggs »

A steering lock and a gearlock works for me. But like was said earlier, if the creep wants your ride, he/she will do anything to get it. :o
louisvr45
Valve
What model do you have?: VW SC fleetline 1600

Post by louisvr45 »

how about put anonther hiddin switch inline with the carb's fuel cutoff valve?
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

louisvr45 wrote:how about put anonther hiddin switch inline with the carb's fuel cutoff valve?
The fuel cut-off on the carb only cuts the idle circuit; it doesn't stop the car from running.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

greasemonkey
Drip
What model do you have?: golf/beetle
South Africa

Post by greasemonkey »

M favourite anti theft device that I have seen is a limit switch fitted into the seat belt clip. This is coupled to a led on the dash(to show its working) and also to a relay which switches a fuel solenoid and the coil. No seatbelt, no go. Coupled to a delay - off timer it could work as an anti hijack as well.
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

I can vouch for the simple cut out switch to the coil, it works. Many moons ago a girlfriend I had drove a old RWD Mazda 323. She lived in a flat that had no secure parking, after a couple of thefts and recoveries I fitted a cut out switch, they tried at least 4 times to help themselves, a couple of times they pushed the car down the road without much luck of getting it started. Also saved a Corolla I had this way.
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......