Post by didi »

Hey Bill, nice avitar :D

Webster
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Karmann Ghias

Re: Stolen Beetle

Post by Webster »

Hey Pine,
Thanks for this - Yes had a call months back telling me the Ghia was found - went shooting around to Van Den Brinks (NB correct spelling!) only to see this one. But never occured to me that mine may now have the same plates and disc - very clever!
Will pass on to my new contact in Maputo. Will never give up trying to recover the Ghia although recon by now its trashed.
Webster
Que
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1971 1600

Post by Que »

Im so sorry to hear about the theft of your car. Who wouldve thought they would steal Beetles?
Tom Bishop
Single Port
What model do you have?: A Yellow 181
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1321084423

Post by Tom Bishop »

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C837%2D510

Maybe you guys need to fit these.

Of course none of my vdubs can lock Securely, they have material roofs.

Cheers
forcecooled
Single Port
What model do you have?: 1970 1600 cc Beetle
South Africa

Post by forcecooled »

Re: Stolen car section
by Rudi02 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:52 pm

This was posted by Rudi recently -

My brother rebuilt his university beetle 2 years ago for his son to go to university with. He went to town with a metalic red paint job profesionally done, interior to drool about, engine with tinware that were detailed to the max, brakes ect, ect. Rims that were one off's. Son drove the car for a few months and came back to the comune in Lynwood real late one night and didn't lock it in the garage as usual. Next morning, gone. They are still crying, not just because of all the money and time spent in making this car a special dad son project, but also because of the sentiment.

I really feel for every one who's ACVW was stolen.
Rudi02

When I read this it really hurt me. When Wade's red bug was stolen earlier this year it was as though we lost a family pet. That car was junk when I bought it and we worked on it for quite a few months to get it to the point where it was.Never mind the more than considerable pile of bucks that was spent on the restoration and the begging mates' etc to bring in some special nice stuff from the states when they travelled there.
In spite of having the assistance of some of an (unnamed) large companies team of motor investigators follow up on the theft, and me even offering a R10,000-00 reward, we have not even seen hide or hair of the car. It could be anywhere. It was in such good condition that you could have driven it to Cape Town and back without any problems.
I might be paranoid about all this, but I cant help feeling that the nice cars at least are being stolen by people that are very clued up on the VW scene. People that come to meetings and events, talk to the car owners and look at them in great detail. --- and decide which ones they will steal. I hope I am wrong here, but it could easily happen that when one or more of these guys are eventually caught, they might be well known to us. For all we know, they might well be sniggering up thier sleeves at us when they see us at meetings and events.
If the guys that stole our Bug ever read this, best you start greasing your ringpiece for a nice spell in prison, because Wade and I built that car together, as a son and dad project, and I can tell you that there are many places in the inner workings of that car that have our actual names and other id engraved in and written on. Lovely. I am sure to probably have come across these name and other ID features already by taking out and selling off or destroying some parts that would have at first glance, be easily spotted. Nice , hey --- to say to your mates while doing this" I wonder who this doos (??? )is that engraves his name on a (????). Well thief buddy, you havent even touched the tip of the iceberg here. There are people that will never stop looking for that car, that have great detail of the unique features that it had. Just hope that you dont trip over any of them - change the paint, seats, wheels, do what you want--- you wont even have started obliterating the most important ID pointers of that car.
We are not normally vindictive people, but if I could (or if my beliefs permitted me to ) I would at one stage have found a way to have a curse put on you and yours, but on further consideration, I have realised that you are already cursed, my friend. Its just a matter of time till your come-uppance arrives on your doorstep, wherever that is in sub-saharan Africa.
Just to indicate how much you have burned our arses, the reward, with applicable conditions, has been doubled to R20,000-00.
You see, its gone beyond getting the car back------
Cheers
eben
Site Admin
What model do you have?: None
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ebenve
Slovakia

Post by eben »

Bill if you agree I'll make a banner to display on this site and others with a picture and reward details
CaddyLife
Drip
What model do you have?: Polo

Post by CaddyLife »

Hi. How about an update on this? Anything happening?
forcecooled
Single Port
What model do you have?: 1970 1600 cc Beetle
South Africa

Post by forcecooled »

Thanks for the interest -

Not a word or a whisper at all -
Problem is that my little splab posted recently has probably driven the robbers underground and they have maybe even totally destroyed the car, so that it cant be recognised.

In view of the absoloute lack of response to my offers of rewards for the return of a complete car, I am now considering posting a reward for the provision of information leading to the location and identification of parts and the conviction of the thieves involved ----

Anybody with interesting information regarding this is welcome to phone me , Bill at 084-612-1389, or send me an sms with "stolen VW" as the text and I will call them back, or if they are forum members, contact me via the "PM" facility and I will call them back
Cheers