playstation2 + dvd screens

In Car Entertainment
SUZIE
Transmission
What model do you have?: mini and beetle

playstation2 + dvd screens

Post by SUZIE »

Hi guys, i need som help and info here, i want to install a playstation 2 with 3 screens in to my Doka, what and how do i do that? as i want it to run with the existing soundsytem but that system is not a dvd one.

have nothing on the cards now, but have a red beach buggy in sight that I want
beesbal
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1972 beetle

Re: playstation2 + dvd screens

Post by beesbal »

You should get some advise from the audio shops,autostyling comes to mind,personally I dont think it should be that difficult.
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Chris »

I did a whole install in my Jetta.You have to decide what you want in the car,and where you want it.I installed the PS2 in the rear seat and two screens in the front seat head rests.You can fit the seperate screens,but that will mean buying screens that fit with straps,not always succesfull.The ones I bought you can buy from most of the autoshops like Autostylin.It's neat and has a flap that zips closed when not in use so you can't see it.

The screens I fitted has infrared senders so that you can use wireless headphones.I also installed a roofmount screen infront,so that the front pasanger or seatcover can also watch a movie.

PS2 is easy to fit.You need 2 things,the PS2 that has the external transformer that converts the 220v to 14,2 v and a RF convertor.

You cut the wire going to the PS2 off at the transformer.Then you wire that into the car's 12v sytem,preferably through the fusebox,or via a switch and fuse that is connected straight to the battery.The power supply is more than sufficient to power the PS2.

Then you take the RCA wires that comes from the PS2,add splitters for the yellow line to as much screens that you are fitting.The white and red RCA's(sound)goes the RF converter which also gets it's power from a switch connected straight to the battery or via the fusebox.The Rf converter converts the sound to a radio frequency that you can set to a radio channel on your radio.The sound RCA's can also be split to give the screens sound so that you can listen with the head phones.

What is nice about this is,is that the children can play games,watch movies or listen to music,while you listen to the radio,or switch to the preset channel and watch a movie with the kids.I also fitted infrared remote controls so that there are no wires that lies around and gets in the way.

If you need anymore info ask me,I know how it works,and I can help you with the install.
Damn,I'm good!
Beach Buggy (Running and now Aircooled!)
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
SUZIE
Transmission

Post by SUZIE »

MM Chris i should have hijacked you and your Jetta when you were tehre by my place, mm so can i use any headunit Chris?
SUZIE
Transmission

Post by SUZIE »

Chris i saw Autost yle sell those hearrest units for like just over R2k for a set, what i s the with of the t steel legs for those headrest and what is the thickness of them? need to see if it will fit on my "mazda" donar seats.
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Chris »

Yes,preferably a digital unit that has preset buttons.
Damn,I'm good!
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Chris »

Those legs will fit any seat.It has a an insert that goes into the hole of the seat,and the legs are adjustable to any width.
Damn,I'm good!
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
SUZIE
Transmission

Post by SUZIE »

so you did not install any power inverters in to your Jetta for the playstation?
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Chris »

No,straight onto the battery.
Damn,I'm good!
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi
SUZIE
Transmission

Post by SUZIE »

Thansk Chris you are a book full of help to me, i had these Q running to audio shops and no one is interested in helping me or giving info for me. now i need to save a few $$ for the system, i have most of the stuff just needs the screens and a new HU
bugspray
Floorpan
What model do you have?: 71 Westy + 74beetle
Facebook: http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?r0d306f00&refid=7
South Africa

Post by bugspray »

Schweet. Thats exaktly what im going to do in my beetle. I didnt know i dont need an invertor! Thats awesome news, i always thought the ps would fry or the wiring would in the bug.. Im stoaked that it can b connected directly.. So you say i can use any head unit cd,mp3 and wire up the ps to that? How clear is the sound production through the ps?
More than meets the eye!
Chris
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Chris »

If you have a head unit that has an RCA-in jack,great,then you can play the sound through the radio.If it doesn't,you'll have to use the RF converter,or run it through an amp.The sound is very good,I have no problems with sound quality.
Damn,I'm good!
VW TDi DC
Jetta V TDi