VW SP1600 / Solex 32 PDSI Carburettor Manual

Library of documents and manuals for Registered Users.
eben
Site Admin
What model do you have?: None
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ebenve
Slovakia

VW SP1600 / Solex 32 PDSI Carburettor Manual

Post by eben »

Thanks to sp1600uk :hangloose:
This might appease the doubters.... :P

sp1600 uk
Drip
What model do you have?: sp1600

Re: VW SP1600 / Solex 32 PDSI Carburettor Manual

Post by sp1600 uk »

due to the way i have been treated on this site i would like this information removed fortwith
thank you
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

It doesn't belong to you, if you force Eben to remove it, I will simply host it elsewhere.
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Typical of VWSA specs
SP carbs did not have 24mm venturies rather 21 or maybe 23
The Photos relate to type 3 engines
SP carbs were made in Brazil and Numbered 32-34PDSIT the tops of the carbs used 6 mounting screws versus the german 32 PDSIT carbs.
The choke housings were removable a feature only found on very late bus carbs
The balance tube was not made from aluminium

Dear SP1600UK
do not think that I or for that matter anyone on this forum is treating you unfairly. I do have a wealth of info on the SP1600 most of it obtained from working on SP beetles pirating parts of scrapped ones and rebuilding the engines. with regards to your specific car I have also arranged contact with the official VWSA Historian a gentleman called John Lemon who will perhaps shed light on the issue. When I bought my SP2 I thought it was the only one in SA but later 3 more came to light. so nothing is impossible.

The main reason why I believe that your car was not built by the factory is for the following.
VW did not acknowledge any racing efforts by privateers and did not sponsor any racing. They put up a record with 411 cars which was more a stunt by the publicity dept than a real attempt. This was acknowledged as such by Ronnie Kruger (Pine will have more detail)
The SP beetle was actually a failure as those desirable carbs were difficult to tune and most were replaced with single carbs. the castings were very soft and these carbs also suffer from distortion. the low ride height (due to the tyres) front spoiler and exhaust meant that damige occured frequently. The Tartan upholstery suffered and most have been replaced. the instruments were not reliable and lots malfunctioned. the brakes could not keep up with the performance. which was poor when compared to other cars of the period. When street racing with my SP carbed model against single carb cars they had the edge for the first 70m after which the twins took over but it was close robot to robot. but when properly tuned they regularly gave 13km to the liter as oposed to about 10 for normal beetles.

Rallies in those days were dominated by Ford and Datsun and the std VW cars could not compete in the std production classes. (Iam not talking about full race efforts and sandmasters)

I for one would like to see Photos of your chassis (You did remove it for your resto didnt you?
since my experience is vast in those areas I can advise which was std and which might have been modified.
regards
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186