Mild 1600TP Turbo engine

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
Bratjie
Valve
What model do you have?: 74
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/juan.buter
South Africa

Re: Mild 1600TP Turbo engine

Post by Bratjie »

Ron&Gill wrote:That's not surprising as can you multiply your cc by your boost to get equivalent cc: 1600x1.9=3040cc normally aspirated. Are you making >100kW?
Hi Ron, what does the 1.9 represent in your equasion?
Used to make 71kw with the old turbo on a scaley dyno :D , have'nt had a chance to redyno the new Turbo yet,

Esté robusto, ser fuerte!!!!

73 Beetle project
74 Beetle 2.1 WBX Turbo'ed & chargecooled
1959 Karmann Ghia Lefty, soon to be turbo'ed and chargecooled
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Type 1, 21b, 34, 316
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

It's a quick and dirty way of estimating the performance you could expect. Normally aspirated, obviously you multiply by 1 only, fuel injected you multiply the cc by 1.4, if I recall, and turbocharged you multiply by the boost pressure in absolute. This was also applied in motorsport, rallying in particular to determine which class the cars would run in. So your 1600, running on 0.9b (gauge) boost should perform like a 3 litre.

It makes sense since you are putting in that much fuel-air mix and since the amount of fuel and air you manage to suck or stuff into your combustion chambers determine the power the engine makes, it's a good comparison.

The 100kW was just a figure I estimated as the old 3 litre Fords made that in the day. My Audi 2.8 made 142kW, but that was fuel injected. (x1.4).

With fuel injection, you are not sucking in an expanding fuel-air mixture through your intake valves, but only air, and the fuel gets squirted in seperately, so you get more in. There are all kinds of other factors, like valve size and porting and valve lift and water injection, intercoolers, compression ratios, over-square and under square configurations, etc etc, that also have effects to greater or lesser degrees, that's why I say it's a quick and dirty ball park estimate.

You picking up what I'm putting down? :D
1964 T34 - The Razor: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10290
1956 T2 1b - Gill's bus: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10948
1967 T316 - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10931 & viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15977
2000 beach buggy - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10915
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Well it's been a few months since the last update, just want to say the Beetle is still going strong, daily driven by the wifey and at night and weekend's abused by hubby :twisted: , had the first experience on a rainy night and a wet road, what a comotion, the @ss was every where and I had to counter steer for dear life :hangloose:

I wanted to upgrade to bigger sleeves and pistons at a stage but then a good friend on the forum suggested I use the 1.9L wasserboxer I bought from Drifts not too long ago, so the wheels in my head are turning and the bits and ends are being sourced. Wont be too difficult as everything is already there, going to use the current GT2056 garret turbo as it looks a lot better on the map than for the 1600cc. - Waayyy better, have heard of guy's abroad pulling 200hp from these engines easily and more with some upgrades. Well lets just say I'd like to double what I have now and see what happens, whew - cant wait a minute longer :drunks:

Anyway, cheers for now, maybe a new thread will start soon. :D

73 Beetle project
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

Are you gonna leave it w/c or machine the water jackets off and make it Aircooled?
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

For now we'll run her w/c, I have read about making them run a/c but dont want to fiddle too much with that untill I know the engine better. want to keep things simple for now as I dont have a lot of spare time to work on it, will definately fit the gotech though and the front radiator without cutting the bonnet full of holes. Bigger charge cooler reservoir and radiator is also in the mix, whats the ppro's & cons of making it a/c Vader?

73 Beetle project
vader
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by vader »

Bratjie wrote:For now we'll run her w/c, I have read about making them run a/c but dont want to fiddle too much with that untill I know the engine better. want to keep things simple for now as I dont have a lot of spare time to work on it, will definately fit the gotech though and the front radiator without cutting the bonnet full of holes. Bigger charge cooler reservoir and radiator is also in the mix, whats the ppro's & cons of making it a/c Vader?

Pros... Its A/C :twisted:
Cons... Its W/C :finger4u: :twisted:
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

vader wrote:
Bratjie wrote:For now we'll run her w/c, I have read about making them run a/c but dont want to fiddle too much with that untill I know the engine better. want to keep things simple for now as I dont have a lot of spare time to work on it, will definately fit the gotech though and the front radiator without cutting the bonnet full of holes. Bigger charge cooler reservoir and radiator is also in the mix, whats the ppro's & cons of making it a/c Vader?

Pros... Its A/C :twisted:
Cons... Its W/C :finger4u: :twisted:
And this is just bugging the :bn: out of you, aint it? :lol: , :moon:

73 Beetle project
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Well, two months further down the line and the motor has still not gone "BOOM!"and still boosting 1 Bar! :shock: Met Dirk the other night going down Frates rd, my favourite test road and he was impressed with how she was still going, buuuuut now it's starting to get a little boring and as many a member has warned me in the beginning of the build, I NEED MORE!!!! :hangloose:

A little strapped for cash right now and seriously contemplating the wasserboxer engine, it's winking harder and harder at me everytime I pass it in the garage :lol: , all I'll need is some waterpipes and a few other odd's & ends.The rest is all there already.Bugger has offered to help me with a few odd's & end's but I have'nt been able to make up my mind but I could also really do with an extra 60 or so horses.What is a man to do??? :cry:

I think I'm indecisive.... but I'm not really sure :D

73 Beetle project
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

just turn up the boost ;-)
vader
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by vader »

What Tony said. Boost the KAK (acvwsa technical term that is) out of it!!! :D

And then on the side do the WC as well. 2 engins are beter than 1....
AKG1600
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: Karmann Ghia

Post by AKG1600 »

This has been a fascinating thread. Reads like a very good book. We done Bratjie! :hangloose: I applaud you and the forum members who saw you through.
You've been through a lot of moments but in the final analysis you produced a great engine and enjoyed the ride all the while. I know the adventure's not over yet but I'm already keen to see what you do with your w/c. Nice one!
The Karmann Ghia- Gravitas & Dignitas infused with SERIOUS Cool...
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

AKG1600 wrote:This has been a fascinating thread. Reads like a very good book. We done Bratjie! :hangloose: I applaud you and the forum members who saw you through.
You've been through a lot of moments but in the final analysis you produced a great engine and enjoyed the ride all the while. I know the adventure's not over yet but I'm already keen to see what you do with your w/c. Nice one!
Thanks AKG1600, I could not have done this without the help from the guys on the forum, Thank's to all of them. I will most certainly push their buttons again with the w/c build.

Thx's for the compliments.

73 Beetle project
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Soooo, the saga continues :hangloose: After much deliberation I pulled out the WBX engine and dusted it off, we are gonna GO for it, now I need to pick up a few things,

Borrowed an exhaust from Synchromad to use as template, but it's way too wide!!!! So I'll get a nice s/steel one from Volkspares and modify to suit the need, will have a flange to change to silencer (non Turbo) or Turbo as the need arises without having to swap complete exhausts systems :hangloose:
Busy figuring out how best to cut into the front to fit the radiator, stealthmode :D , will be running a small scoop under to help direct airflow with a big fan behind the radiator to help with airflow.No holes, ogiesdraad, mesh and other cuts into my bonnet!!! :)
Using existing chargecooler and 36 Dellorto. The Garret T3-T4 super 60 is going on although it may just be a little to big, will have to test it.Got the electronic dizzy and all the guages are already built in, will need a heat guage and a few other goodies later on.
Getting a much better blow off valve if I can cause most damage to the previous two turbo's were because of inefficient blow off resulting in compressor surge causing damage to the turbo shaft, casing and wheels.Also never had a proper vacuum source to activate it when the throtlle was closed and never realised :oops: , just thought the sweet whistle she made during gearshifts were cool! Instead it was f-ing up two turbo's in a row,
Looking for a Synchronic blow off valve, this actually stays open and only opens and closes as soon as manifold pressures changes. The WBX has a bolt on oil scavenger pump as built by Peter Chadwick, this is a pump ontop of your existing oil pump, snazzy huh? some oke's say they've never seen it before,
Will post some pics of it later,

For now I'm on the lookout for a waterpump should any body know where to find a descent one,
Anyone with advice welcome to chip in except,,,,,,,,,, 4AGEDUB!!!

Naaaww just kidding 4Age, just so jealous of your build lol, :wink: :wink: :lol: Will be getting that Gotech at long last :TIC:
I see from your pics my rear fenders are just as wide, thinking of putting the turbo under there, doesn't seem like a lot of space in there with the 17" mags I got on though, must measure it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

73 Beetle project
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

go to a boating shop and ask for a 12V bilge pump.
Johnson or Jabsco are the better brands.
Bratjie
Valve
South Africa

Post by Bratjie »

Thx's Tony got an idea of one, but for now looking for the actual engine coolant pump, the one moving the radiator water? Mine's a bit sticky, don't want to take any chances, I believe they dont last very long anyway. Will propably have to ask, syncro, Calooker, Bugger or 4Age for info, unless,,,,,,,,? GOLDWAGEN!!!! :?

73 Beetle project