Planning A Subaru Conversion...

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Planning A Subaru Conversion...

Post by Tony Z »

replace the head studs with new and run a proper corrosion inhibitor instead of antifreeze and you will be fine.

I went for a drive in a waterboxer turbo that made only 280hp back in 2003. 4 years later that same engine was making over 470hp and it is still alive today. Granted, it wasnt stock... Look for Marco Mansini or Marcothesteamengine on the STF or Samba

flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

AKG1600 wrote:I have also been looking at it; the 2.1 wasserboxer (as I've come across quite a few of them) but the feedback I got (regarding their reliability) was that they aren't so great. I haven't done too much else in terms of research as I've been hemmed at work. Just how reliable a solution are these?
My buddy has done this engine in the back of three beetles and his microbus and yeah there are niggles that have to be sorted with any conversion, but no issues. I think that DIrk Muntign has a wasserboxer in his ghia and he's had it in there for ages......I know that he doens't drive it much though.
AKG1600
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: Karmann Ghia

Post by AKG1600 »

flatfourfan wrote:
AKG1600 wrote:I have also been looking at it; the 2.1 wasserboxer (as I've come across quite a few of them) but the feedback I got (regarding their reliability) was that they aren't so great. I haven't done too much else in terms of research as I've been hemmed at work. Just how reliable a solution are these?
My buddy has done this engine in the back of three beetles and his microbus and yeah there are niggles that have to be sorted with any conversion, but no issues. I think that DIrk Muntign has a wasserboxer in his ghia and he's had it in there for ages......I know that he doens't drive it much though.

Thanks Gents.
How do I find Dirk Muntign?
Is he an ACVWSA member?
It would be great to get a 1st hand account of a water boxer conversion in a Ghia.

The ShopTalkForum has alot on OBX conversions, but very little on the WBXs themselves (that I was able to find useful). Thanks again.
The Karmann Ghia- Gravitas & Dignitas infused with SERIOUS Cool...
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... rk+Munting

From a post by Pine:

"Dirk's VW workshop is at 17 Skinner Rd, Pretoria and his contact number is 082 964 1662.

Thanks a million Dirk for the excellent service, fast but thorough workmanship, professionalism and very reasonable pricing :wink:"

Also speak to Bugger, he is also a WBX expert.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

presto.....I've known dirk for the better part of 20 years.......great all rounder.
AKG1600
Oil Stain

Post by AKG1600 »

Hi Volks!;

I trust we're in the throes of enjoying a great Christmas and still digesting last nights bird. :lol:

Ok. So I've done quite a bit more research and come a conclusion. Subaru is the way to go for me. While the aircooled options are great, they just won't be as bullet proof as the Subaru option.

I have a new conundrum however: I don't want to cut the body work in the front. I would like to find out from the forum if a lay down radiator configuration could be made to work.
"Huh!?!", I hear you ask.

Well, I'm thinking outside the box here so humour me please. If recesses can be created in the pans (below the rear seats) to situate the radiator(s), with bottle reservoirs in the engine bay to feed the cooling system; and create a guard (much like a sump protector) to protect the radiator(s) from damage. I'm summising the airflow running beneath the car will provide enough cooling to the radiators.
Am I crazy or can this solution be made to work?

I'm in the ideas stage here and I'm thinking it'd be a great way to keep the coach work in tact.
Hloni
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: It was a '75.

Post by Hloni »

I know guys have done a horizontal radiator on buses. I think the hide it behind the rear wheel. I think someone here on the forum has done it or was cooking a real funky one.
Use search function and see what you come up with.

But brother man, sounds like what you are really looking for is a challenge and not necessarily a "bullet proof" motor. All that work when you could stick ac.

Well, I'm watching this thread like a Nandos ad :)
"Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this" - Kerri Martin
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Not what I would do, but there are 3 ways to fit a Rad, into your Ghia.
You can look up on options on the Samba, but here goes my 19 cent Plus Vat and inflations worth......

You can make a wide thin scoop under the front bumper from wheel to wheel, and duct it to the back.

You can fit the red. in next to the motor as with all Golf motors, you have ton's of space.

Or and this is the way I would do it (had I bumped my head :lol: ) I would fit two small rad's. on ether side of the motor and at a 45 Deg. angle and duct the air flow up from the wheel arch, through the rad's. and back out the bottom of the engine bay.

As you now have a water cooled, you do not need, or want a sealed engine compartment, so you can cut it to :bn:
This will help with the engine cooling.

OMO
Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

What you're suggesting is a LOT of work and more than likely won't give you the benefits of having the radiator up front. Nothing and I mean nothing will work as well as having DIRECT air flowing over that radiator. You think that there is a lot of space back there in the ghia, but trust me, it'll get filled up pretty quickly with fuel lines, filters, expansion tank coil pack etc.

In my speedster I have way more space than a beetle and about the same as a ghia and I'm shoehorning stuff into there at this stage.

Having done this conversion, I reckon that you could cut out a small section of floor in the nose with a very thin cutting blade and keep it should you ever want to weld it back into place. Also using a small dual core radiator in there will limit the amount of steel that you'd have to cut out.

Having a radiator underneath the car is just begging for something to hit it. On a bus it works because of the gound clearance, on a beetle, ghia?.......good luck.

Who's going to be doing the mod on your sump for the subaru engine or are you going dry sump?
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

check out subynotch.com
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

check out this guys site for the conversion that he did on his ghia, just because a radirtor is up front, doesn't mean that it can't be neat.

http://www.ricola.co.uk/

Just remember though, when fitting a water-cooled engine to your ghia, which ever way you do it, it's a LOT of work.
AKG1600
Oil Stain

Post by AKG1600 »

Thanks for the comments and advice. It's greatly appreciated and helping me crystalise this project.

I can't give precise details but I have a few broad strokes.
I want to create what I'll call: '"The Gov'nor"-Sleeper Ghia'. Kinda corny I know but hey...
It'll be a Ghia that looks outwardly original, save for some shiny 'footwear'; makes its torque at a low rpm and produce more than sufficient power to accelerate away from traffic lights, and manage city traffic as deftly as JZee did the competition at Mangaung. 8)
-'SubaruGears' type 5speed transmission.
-N/A EJ25 standard (170hp/170 ft-lbs of torque)power.
-VDO series1 gauges for simplicity.
Nothing flash but potent enough.

I want to get it done properly. I can live with sacrificing fuel economy; an acceptable compromise IMV.

I'm working my way through the minutae that is the 'how' of the project. It may not be a cake walk but result should be worth it.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

Do you have an idea of Budget at this stage?
AKG1600
Oil Stain

Post by AKG1600 »

flatfourfan wrote:Do you have an idea of Budget at this stage?
I've looked at the numbers and I believe I have a fairly good idea.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by flatfourfan »

give or take 100k I'd say.