Modern Suspension on an AirCooled...

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
johanb
Flywheel
What model do you have?: '64 Bus
South Africa

Re: Modern Suspension on an AirCooled...

Post by johanb »

A 6 month project end up to plenty years,, and seem never to end :-)

vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

So your priorities are as follows?

Upgraded engine.
Upgraded suspension

There are quite a few options availible on the engine front. Upgrading your 1600 with cam, heads and carbs... Or Upgrading to a sweet 1917cc or a monster 2275cc.. It depends on your budget... But I would start with the engine and brakes to get it running so you can enjoy it. If you gonna upgrade to a larger motor then keep the 1600 as a spare and buy a new long block for the upgrade that way if you need to pull the motor you will have a spare to keep you on the road..Then I would look at the suspension, kink & link pins, balljoints, steering box, shocks, and h-beam service, same at the rear. This would give you a good ride as the components get tired after a while and you dont know when last they were serviced.
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Having read your Enlightenment, There would be only one way to satisfy your points of need.

That Is.....

Get a Porsche 911 That has accident damage, ( old track car) and fit the KG body over it.

You will have road holding,

good suspension,

positive steering that has been designed for a rear engined car (very important)

Gearbox that can handle the power output.

And an engine that will keep you in front of the pack

With, best of all, a Classic body

This will be a winning combination as you have already justified the cost.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

there's that targa for sale for R65 000 ( i think the price was with no engine). Something to consider when you look at how much everything would cost you to get to that point.
AKG1600
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: Karmann Ghia

Post by AKG1600 »

JohanB; I'm slowly realising that these things take time. Ha! I feel the rewards, however, are well worth the effort.

Vader!; your assessment is correct. My checklist has been the same with the coachwork having been the 1st priority.
My concern with going for a big Type I or a Type I that performs over stock is the reliability factor. I'd want a motor that lasts well beyond 100k miles. Which is why I've juggling between the idea of either Type IV or Subaru power.
Upgrading the brakes is a given. I'm contemplating between a front disc brake conversion, retaining the wide 5 set up or converting to disc brakes all round and switching to 4lug hubs. Cost of doing just the front on wide 5s is the same as doing them all round using the 4x130s.
The steering box has been replaced. One of the things I'd done when I first got the car ( http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=25411 ). Shocks, ball joints etc will happen when the brakes get done (assuming I stay with the current front beam).

Retrovan, your solution sounds intoxicating but would a ghia body fit on a Porsche pan? My 1st reaction, not having looked into it, is that it sounds like a bucket load of work. Further, if I'm not misguided, isn't Porsche maintenance expensive?

My jam jar as it is at the minute. It's just waiting on final polish, various chrome bits and some interior detail. My apologies for the poor picture quality.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The dialogue is really helping with my decision making.
The Karmann Ghia- Gravitas & Dignitas infused with SERIOUS Cool...
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

Cool pics...
There have been Ghia's built on Porsche pans and I would hazard a guess that the amount of work required would be similar to front/rear suspention, pan and engine upgrades. If your gonna bomb in a scoobie motor you need to make the chassis much stronger plus a lot of other mods.. Have a look at Tom Bishops Big Toe project and see just how much work and money it takes...
Refresh our mammories what is the ultimate vision/goals for the Ghia? Track car, Weekend Warrior, daily driver, strip car?
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
AKG1600
Oil Stain

Post by AKG1600 »

vader wrote:Cool pics...
There have been Ghia's built on Porsche pans and I would hazard a guess that the amount of work required would be similar to front/rear suspention, pan and engine upgrades. If your gonna bomb in a scoobie motor you need to make the chassis much stronger plus a lot of other mods.. Have a look at Tom Bishops Big Toe project and see just how much work and money it takes...
Refresh our mammories what is the ultimate vision/goals for the Ghia? Track car, Weekend Warrior, daily driver, strip car?
I'm not sure about 'refreshing mammories' but the vision for the Karmann Ghia is for it to be a daily driver that's a sleeper. Sexy as you like to behold and as reliable as the sunrise. A Ghia that looks good, goes good and feels Gr8....

Where do I find Tom Bishops Big Toe project?

Ta Gov'nor.
flatfourfan
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Speedster Replica

Post by flatfourfan »

I actually googled it, but it's an old thread and all the pictures links are out dated.
AKG1600
Oil Stain

Post by AKG1600 »

Yeah, likewise. Should make for an interesting read nonetheless.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

if you want a stock engine with a little more oomph that is really reliable, then try a 1600T1 with a decent exhaust, twin 36IDF carbs and a little bit of head work.
It wont rev to the moon, will make more power than stock (mine made 74hp) and will be super easy to drive.
This will be about as reliable as a completely stock engine
alvetro
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 71 Karmann Ghia

Post by alvetro »

Tony Z wrote:if you want a stock engine with a little more oomph that is really reliable, then try a 1600T1 with a decent exhaust, twin 36IDF carbs and a little bit of head work.
It wont rev to the moon, will make more power than stock (mine made 74hp) and will be super easy to drive.
Hi. This is exactly the setup I am looking at for my Ghia. Any recommendations on who could do the necessary head work.

Thanks
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

alvetro wrote:
Tony Z wrote:if you want a stock engine with a little more oomph that is really reliable, then try a 1600T1 with a decent exhaust, twin 36IDF carbs and a little bit of head work.
Hi. This is exactly the setup I am looking at for my Ghia. Any recommendations on who could do the necessary head work.

Thanks
I can do it