77 bug V6 conversion rear suspension

Whatever you want to put in the back of your VW...
WidgetBean
Drip
What model do you have?: 1977

77 bug V6 conversion rear suspension

Post by WidgetBean »

hi all,

I am working on a project. a '77 Beetle with a 3.0l V6 ford motor with a Kombi Transmission using the side shafts and hubs from the Kombi as well. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or guidelines as to how i can go about fabricating or installing a rear suspension. How would i go about converting the brakes all round to disc brakes. Any threads pertaining to the above would be greatly appreciated as well. Regards JJ :D

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: 77 bug V6 conversion rear suspension

Post by Tony Z »

I hate to be negative, but in my opinion you are going to end up disappointed. The V6 is heavy and will make the bug handle like a pig.

Beetle brakes can be easily converted to discs, there are kits available for this.
Converting the kombi setup to discs, well, thats more than likely a custom kit that you'll have to make up.
Also, remember, you have to remove the entire beetle rear suspension and graft in the semi-trailing arms from the kombi and fit the kombi trailing arms - I dont know if they fit on the beetles torsion bars or not, so this might be another issue you have to deal with.
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

Listen to the Z
if you're going to screw up your beetle, you might as well go for mid mounted V8....right behind you, where you can feel the heat :twisted:
You can never have enough Garages :-(
WidgetBean
Drip
What model do you have?: 1977

Post by WidgetBean »

WidgetBean wrote:hi all,

I am working on a project. a '77 Beetle with a 3.0l V6 ford motor with a Kombi Transmission using the side shafts and hubs from the Kombi as well. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or guidelines as to how i can go about fabricating or installing a rear suspension. How would i go about converting the brakes all round to disc brakes. Any threads pertaining to the above would be greatly appreciated as well. Regards JJ :D
I appreciate it guys thing is I've already got the Moter ect laying around so I'd rather use it. I understand the handling issues that will come, I'll cross that bridge when I get there maybe a stiffer suspension all round and some weight in the front to stabilize the nose. I'll definitely take your advice on the trailing arms from the Kombi I'll fabricate there if need be. I'll post some pics as I'm moving along.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk